Difference between traditinal Strat trem and "floating" Jazzmaster trem?

turnip

• Members

My Jag has as much sustain as my Strat.

Thats weird considering the Jag has a 24' scale and much looser string tension.

In the vintage guitar world Jags are overlooked, and underpriced, and one of the main reasons is the plinkiness and lack of sustain. Most players don't favor them as "tone machines".. If you got one that sustains well, you got a real good one.:thu: Hang on to it .. bob

• Members

I think they're all solid, decent, if not great units. They were, after all, Fender's 2 top-of-the-line models for quite awhile. It's just that the whole bridge-saddle-trem area is, well, touchy. It does need a good set-up and maybe even some slight mods and perhaps even requires a particular playing style. Too much trouble for most, apparently.

However, when all the stars align. They have their own special sound full of chime, sparkle and resonance. Especially with a good "mostly" clean Fender amp. None of that endless Santana sustain or capable of shreddy wheedling, but something else entirely. I attribute this all to the trem. Operationally/musically, it's more subtle than the strat. I had Jag with all the problems the Buzzstop and Mastery bridge purport to solve, that once I dialed in the bridge/trem area, never had a problem with.

• Members

Thats weird considering the Jag has a 24' scale and much looser string tension.

In the vintage guitar world Jags are overlooked, and underpriced, and one of the main reasons is the plinkiness and lack of sustain. Most players don't favor them as "tone machines".. If you got one that sustains well, you got a real good one.
:thu:
Hang on to it .. bob

The lack of sustain is a product of the bridge. Mastery Bridge solved that. My Jag was never plinky though. People just need to learn that the tone knob is actually useful on a Jag. The Jag is probably the most versatile guitar ever. I bought my Jag to have as my "bright" guitar. Now my Strat and Washburn sit in a case.

Archived