suprise nad - marshall haze mhz15...

wallywanker

• Members

went in to my favorite store to buy some tremolo springs for a strat i'm working on and got off on a discussion about the 15 watt marshall head - http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Marshall-Haze-MHZ15-15W-Tube-Guitar-Amp-Head?sku=581909. they didn't have any in stock so he offered me the amp room head for 450.00 :thu:. going to compare it to my vox night train tonight. next...? might need one of these - http://www.orangedualterror.com/ :cool:... i'm in small watt gas throes!

• Members

a few hours in i can say this - the marshall is certainly a {censored}ing loud 15 watts. obviously, from my sig, you can tell i'm not a brootalz guy - when it's really time to push some air i like my fender twin reverb, but i do like some crunch and drive so i've been on a small watt kick to try and get my cranked twin `feel' in the living room (i already know i can't get the full sound, that's why i say the `feel') without spending boutique money. i didn't play with the band, just played along with some damn loud band recordings , and here's what i have so far; - the vox night train has way more clean head room than the clean channel on the marshall (marshall had a hard time giving me the clean punch on `precious' and `open eyes' but was right on the money for `some folks' and `just doesn't matter'), the marshall clean channel breaks up early (compared to the vox) but when you're right at that point (or a hair past ;)) all the pedals sound golden. the marshall gain channel, even on this little 15 watt, is pure creamy goodness - better than the vox, which i thought was pretty damn good till i compared the marshall. the overdrive channel does just what i want on `stone in my pocket' and `constant' without needing a pedal, and just a little fuzz punch puts it right into `outta your mind'. in my opinion, so far, both the vox night train and the marshall haze are keepers...and yes, i'm still going to look at the dual terror :cool:.. anyone with low watt inputs i'd love to hear them.

• Members

a few hours in i can say this - the marshall is certainly a {censored}ing loud 15 watts. obviously, from my sig, you can tell i'm not a brootalz guy - when it's really time to push some air i like my fender twin reverb, but i do like some crunch and drive so i've been on a small watt kick to try and get my cranked twin `feel' in the living room (i already know i can't get the full sound, that's why i say the `feel') without spending boutique money. i didn't play with the band, just played along with some damn loud band recordings , and here's what i have so far; - the vox night train has way more clean head room than the clean channel on the marshall (marshall had a hard time giving me the clean punch on `precious' and `open eyes' but was right on the money for `some folks' and `just doesn't matter'), the marshall clean channel breaks up early (compared to the vox) but when you're right at that point (or a hair past
;)
) all the pedals sound golden. the marshall gain channel, even on this little 15 watt, is pure creamy goodness - better than the vox, which i thought was pretty damn good till i compared the marshall. the overdrive channel does just what i want on `stone in my pocket' and `constant' without needing a pedal, and just a little fuzz punch puts it right into `outta your mind'. in my opinion, so far, both the vox night train and the marshall haze are keepers...and yes, i'm still going to look at the dual terror
:cool:
.. anyone with low watt inputs i'd love to hear them.

I'm in the market myself.

Hauling these larger amps around is not good for the back.

My smallest is an AC15.

I tried the new Vox AC4TV w/8" speaker but wanted to wait on the marshall.

I haven't tried the Nightrain yet.

Out of the 2 which would do it more for a Blues crunch, but still have enough for some classic rock?

• Members

i would say the marshall if you're looking for blues crunch and classic rock overdrive, it just has a tough time with the `really clean' clean. the vox does really nice crunch and overdrive, too, but the marshall sounds like a marshall if that's what your looking for. i revisited both this morning, and the marshall is still a damn loud 15 watts. i actually tried the on board effects, expecting them to be cheesy, and was pleasantly surprised - they're certainly not going to replace the pedal board but for tearing up the living room running scales for practice they'll add entertainment value. i wish marshall hadn't cheesed out with the plastic corner braces and jack nuts - it reminds me of all the chromed plastic toggles and jack nuts on my old sovtek mig 100 (that i replaced), but the guts are definitely good. i'm keeping both because the vox comes `closer' to the twin reverb clean that i just have to have sometimes (and weighs about 1/5th...they do seem to get heavier as i get older ;)), but if you like the sound of a marshall i think you'll like the haze. i would buy it again.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

I just dug up this thread using Google to see if there are any more Vox Night Train opinions over here. I'm thinking about selling my old Mesa Mark IIb and buying a little Vox. I alread have a Mesa Mark IV and S.O.B. so the Mark IIb is just redundant.

I use a stereo rig and I'll probably be using the Mark IV or S.O.B. but it would be nice to just use the Night Train to have some stereo effects on the other side of the stage.

Archived