Sign in to follow this  
mattisonlysleep

Does BB King ever play acoustic guitar?

I know him and clapton did this unplugged thing on the album riding with the king, but king didn't want to initially. I wonder what his style is like on acoustic guitar. Do you think its similar to the way he plays lucille?

Does anyone have any videos.

Not professionally, its well known that he doesn't like to play chords.

I didn't know that. That's pretty funny though. Didn't Grant Green also not play chords?

The electric pickup is what lead to the ability to play loud single note runs like BB does. Good knows what his delta style was like in his early days, but I can't see him doing his thing on an acoustic today.

Not a lot of people know about his extensive collection of BC Rich's - he loves a bit of death or thrash metal when he's at home. Sepultura and Cannibal Corpse being two of his fave bands.

Not a lot of people know about his extensive collection of BC Rich's - he loves a bit of death or thrash metal when he's at home. Sepultura and Cannibal Corpse being two of his fave bands.

Actually burst out laughing then :thu:

I love how the old bluesmen always turned their guitars into advertising billboards. So much corporate crap these days, self-promotion is long gone.

I love how the old bluesmen always turned their guitars into advertising billboards. So much corporate crap these days, self-promotion is long gone.

Not if you listen to rap. Every other word is the rapper's name, and many artists have their own clothing lines, jewelry, video games and iPhone apps. 1930-1960's blues = 1980-2010 rap.

He played them a while ago.

I've seen that photo before and was going to refer to it myself in this thread but in looking closely at it, is that an installed pickup under his hand? It also looks like the sound hole is covered up? I just never paid any attention to those two things before, thanks for posting the picture. Does anyone recall ever hearing B. B. talk about that picture before?

Not if you listen to rap. Every other word is the rapper's name, and many artists have their own clothing lines, jewelry, video games and iPhone apps. 1930-1960's blues = 1980-2010 rap.

I was talking about music though, not rap..

• Like 1

along with SRV......

I think it is a pu in the pic btw....if you zoom it

I didn't know that. That's pretty funny though. Didn't Grant Green also not play chords?

A jazz guitarist who doesn't play chords? that must be pretty rare. I believe that G.G. played that Django piece (it's the title) which is full of terrific chord melodies.

I think he's pretty content to just howl like a Baptist preacher and play lead guitar bits in between these days. It's his trademark.

• Like 1