Your Fave Albums Of The "Uh-Ohs"?

HeatherAnnePeel

• Members

If I get too carried away I will be here all day listing albums.

#1 for me is unquestionable though

White Denim- Fits

a genre-defying cornucopia of an album

They kick ass live as well- best show I've ever seen

I only started actually listening to music post-2000, so i can't fairly compare this decade to any other, but I think it's safe to say that rock music got a bit more "indie", experimental and varied.

Hip hop became mainstream for the first time (well, a lot more so than in the 90's) , and went through a sort of "hair metal" phase of excess, giant egos and little innovation, but is getting a lot more diverse and creative now.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I was NEVER a Pearl Jam fan at all, until I happened to stumble on their 2009 Austin City Limits appearance.

I was genuinely taken aback by this crew of former pop legends who obviously know they have nothing to prove anymore. Probably the best televised or filmed rock and roll performance I saw in the 00's, with the possible exception of Rush in Rio.

• Members

I agree with several that have been mentioned here, including Welcome Interstate Managers.

I don't think anyone's mentioned Raising Sand, Robert Plant and Allison Krause

You actually like new Pearl Jam?
:facepalm:

Your musical tastes are very mild and mainstream rock fan-boy status. You'd love Californian radio stations (which I personally can't stand)

Ripping on people's musical tastes in this thread is pretty uncouth.

• Members

Wow, I must be turning into my father. I don't see a single album listed that we'll be talking about in 20 or 30 years saying how great that music was.

You have a point, though I think some great albums have been mentioned.

However, at least in some cases, I don't think this is because of any deficit in the music itself but rather the fact that media is so ubiquitous and quick to drop these days.

Back a couple of decades ago and beyond, there just weren't as many albums that came down the pike...not as many bands with as many ways to release their work, advertise it on the Internet, have videos all over video music networks and other online places like MySpace and YouTube, etc.

I DO agree that there is a greater amount of accessible music these days, while in many ways the percentage of quality music has diminished. This is also due in part, IMO, to the fact that a lot of music just sounds more derivative because a lot of bands, whether intentionally or not, just plain sound like other bands that have come before. Circularity. There's just not as much room for real freshness and originality.

Back in the day, a release from a favorite band was a real event. Nowadays, stuff is available for download through a zillion legitimate and illegitimate sources...a lot of younger people just pick up on a hit single and disregard the album it came from, etc.

It's just a different world. There's still good music, but in many ways the media explosion has made things seem a lot more transient. It's harder for something to become a classic when, as soon as it's released, it's drowned by 100,000 other albums or songs and it seems as though the collective attention span of the music-appreciating public has dwindled to a nanosecond.

• Members

Wow, I must be turning into my father. I don't see a single album listed that we'll be talking about in 20 or 30 years saying how great that music was.

I think most people could find at least a couple of albums from the past decade that would fit this description. Unfortunately it can be exhausting to find them since we live in a world where My Humps and Who Let the Dogs Out were smash hits.

• Members

I think some people just haven't been paying attention to the last 10 years.

Eminem - Marshall Mathers LP

Jeff Buckley - Mystery White Boy

Ryan Adams - Heartbreaker

Steely Dan - Two Against Nature

Muse - Origin of Symmetry

The Shins - Oh Inverted World

Tomahawk - Tomahawk

Cake - Comfort Eagle

The Flaming Lips - Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots

Muse - Hullabaloo

Norah Jones - Come Away With Me

Peter Gabriel - Up

Queens of the Stone Age - Songs for the Deaf

Ben Harper - Diamonds on the Inside

Death Cab for Cutie - Transatlantacism

Kings of Leon - Youth and Young Manhood

Muse - Absolution

The Shins - Chutes Too Narrow

The Wrens - The Meadowlands

The Autumns - The Autumns

Bjork - Medulla

Cake - Pressure Chief

Keane - Hopes and Fears

Modest Mouse - Good News...

Spookie Daly Pride - Marshmallow Pie

Wilco - A Ghost Is Born

3 - Wake Pig

And You Will Know Us By the Trail of Dead - Worlds Apart

Gogol Bordello - Gypsy Punks

Josh Dion Band - Give Love

Weezer - Make Believe

The Whigs - Give em All a Big Fat Lip

Wilco - Kicking Television

Band of Horses - Everything All the Time

Ben Harper - Both Sides of the Gun

Gomez - How We Operate

Muse - Black Holes And Revelations

Mute Math - Mute Math

Neko Case - Fox Confessor Brings the Flood

Peeping Tom - Peeping Tom

Pearl Jam - Pearl Jam

Phoenix - It's Never Been Like That

AA Bondy - American Hearts

Band of Horses - Cease to Begin

Coconut Records - Coconut Records

Kings of Leon - Because of the Times

Minus the Bear - Planet of Ice

Modest Mouse - We Were Dead...

Plant and Krauss - Raising Sand

Rogue Wave - Asleep at Heaven's Gate

Ryan Adams - Easy Tiger

The Shins - Wincing the Night Away

The White Stripes - Icky Thump

Fleet Foxes - Fleet Foxes

Eagles of Death Metal - Heart On

Kings of Leon - Only By the Night

The Mars Volta - The Bedlam In Goliath

My Morning Jacket - Evil Urges

TV on the Radio - Dear Science

Vampire Weekend - Vampire Weekend

The Whigs - Mission Control

The Decemberists - Hazzards of Love

Dirty Projectors - Bitte Orca

Muse - The Resistance

Mute Math - Armistice

Nirvana - Live at Reading

Pearl Jam - Backspacer

I'm missing a bunch here and I haven't really even gone back to see what good metal I've missed in the past 10 years. I think for the first part of the decade, I was definitely listening to more older music than newer, but that's definitely changed in the past few years. Itunes/my Ipod, internet radio, and satellite radio have definitely changed how I listen to music.

• Members

I'm pretty sure we'll be talking about these albums in 20 or 30 years. Do you own any of these and can make an argument against them?

Amy Winehouse - Back to Black

Beck - Sea Change

Bob Dylan - Love and Theft

The Flaming Lips - Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots

Green Day - American Idiot

John Mayer - Continuum

The Raconteurs - Broken Boy Soldiers

Ray LaMontagne - Trouble

Ryan Adams - Heartbreaker

The Shins - Oh, Inverted World

The Strokes - Is This It?

Tool - Lateralus

The White Stripes - Elephant

The White Stripes - White Blood Cells

• Members

David Bowie - Heathen
David Bowie - Reality
The Hives - Tyranasoarus Hives
Arcade Fire - Funeral
Arcade Fire - Neon Bible
Goldfrapp - Black Cherry
Goldfrapp - Seventh Tree
QOTSA - Songs for the Deaf
Bob Dylan - Love and Theft
Beck - Guero
Beck - Modern Guilt

• Members

Oh yeah, just for a good old school time, "Sonic Boom" KISS (2009).

I haven't heard this, but I have heard several times that this is one of their best albums. I kinda find it hard to believe because to my ears they went downhill with each album after their second release back in 1973, and I hate the fact they replaced Ace and Peter with guys wearing their same face makeup, but I'm still interested in hearing it.

• Members

I think I just have issues with alternative rock and it's derivatives. I don't find it enjoyable in the slightest, so that pretty much shuts me out of finding a place in most of the rock coming out these days.

I'll cop to the same problem with a lot of alt-rock and indie, though it's not a blanket hate. I just dislike hipster irony, emo navel-gazing, and pseudo-literary pretentiousness of the sort that leads bands to do things like adopt four-word names with punctuation in the middle of them. There are some pockets of good stuff in there that don't suffer from those flaws, though, so I won't dismiss the entire genre.

• Members

Honestly, if anyone thinks that there is no more good music being made anymore... please don't try to join a debate about what is or isn't good music since your knowledge is probably as limited as it gets.

Arcade Fire - Funeral

The Strokes - Is This It?

Mavillian - Madvilliany

Interpol - Turn on the Bright Lights

Animal Collective - Merriweather Post Pavilion

The Avalanches - Since I Left You

Radiohead - Kid A

Radiohead - In Rainbows

Radiohead - Amnesiac

MIA - Kala

Brian Wilson - SMILE

White Stripes - Icky Thump

Ghostface Killah - Supreme Clientele

QOTSA - Rated R

Grizzly Bear - Veckatimest

Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Its Blitz!

Kanye West - College Dropout (Yes, this is a very good album and had a huge effect on rap in the 00s)

• Members

Which leads to a bigger question: is the "album" becoming obsolete in the age of the iPod, individual song downloads, and Genius mixes? When people buy individual songs and artists are less and less constrained by technology to having to release music in 40 to 70 minute chunks, are artists focusing less on creating the album as a whole work? My favorite albums are best listened to all the way through from start to finish due to how the artists selected the songs to flow from one to the next; do music purchasers or artists even care about that anymore, and if not, is that why I like so few albums these days?

I also judge albums on the whole. Every album I listed are ones that I listen to from start to finish.

I think you're wrong about Amy Winehouse. I'm sure people said the same thing about Janis Joplin.

I'm also wondering if you've actually listened to Sea Change since you're comparing it to Beck's earlier output. It's an album that stands out from his other work as a deeply personal and melodic masterpiece; it has very little in common with the electronic-based music on his other albums.

Do you really think that in 20-30 years that people will be talking about none of the music from this decade? Can you name one other decade since the invention of the record that has faded into complete obscurity as you suggest will happen with this one?

Sorry if I sound angry, but I get so sick of the "stuff was better back in the day" attitude that I encounter so much. I guarantee you that people have had this exact same attitude in every decade; there were people who hated The Beatles because they weren't as good as Glenn Miller.

• Members

Radiohead - In Rainbows

These, especially both Arcade Fire albums, In Rainbows, and Turn On the Bright Lights. I'll also add these, alphabetically:

2007, !!! - Myth Takes

2007, Andrew Bird - Armchair Apocrypha

2009, Andrew Bird - Noble Beast

2005, Death Cab For Cutie - Plans

2004, Death From Above 1979 - You're A Woman, I'm A Machine

2009, Dinosaur Jr. - Farm

2007, Interpol - Our Love To Admire

2006, The Killers - Sam's Town

2007, Mother Hips - Kiss the Crystal Flake

2008, Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds - Dig, Lazarus, Dig!!!

2007, Nine Inch Nails - Year Zero

2002, The Notwist - Neon Golden

2002, Sigur R

• Members

Can you name one other decade since the invention of the record that has faded into complete obscurity as you suggest will happen with this one?

I hope most of the 80's will eventually

I feel it's the age of singles now. A lot of newer acts arn't concentrating on the album as a whole. Two of the exceptions I've seen noted in this thread were Queens of The Stone Age (Songs For The Deaf) and Green Day (American Idiot)

• Members

I hope most of the 80's will eventually

I feel it's the age of singles now. A lot of newer acts arn't concentrating on the album as a whole. Two of the exceptions I've seen noted in this thread were Queens of The Stone Age (Songs For The Deaf) and Green Day (American Idiot)

Arcade Fire, Godspeed You! Black Emperor, Sigur R

Archived