CV 50's strat vs Natural Finished guitars

waldojeffers

• Members

Hey guys,

Just wondering which one you think is the best considering, build, price and sound. The sound I like is The Edge from U2 and Gilmour.

The CV 50's strat, the G&L S500, the korean made light ash strat, the highway 1 (think I just read it has a natural finish?) or the FSR strat!!

I hear so much about the CV 50's strat but the other guitars have that natural finish I really like. But I'll get the best guitar of them, bonus if it is natural finish.

Would love to hear some opinions, I'm overwhlemed :facepalm:

• Members

To be honest, I've never been a big fan of natural finished strats. Probably because it reminds me of 70s strats which were collectively the worst decade of Fenders. Natural with black or natural with tortoise... eek.

:eek:

Having said that I have two naturals... an All Parts Ash strat, not sanded, not filled finished with one coat of Walnut stain to help the grain pop and one shot of Nitro clear, and a Mahogany Ibanez sanded, not filled, with three coats of Tru Oil.

I had a Lite Ash strat, but mine was the white finished one.

DSC_3742a1.jpg

DSC_4153a1.jpg

• Members

The Classic Vibe has top-notch pickups (unbranded Toneriders) and a great neck right out of the box. I replaced the bridge on mine w/ a Wilkinson (full-size steel block w/ staggered string holes, push-in arm) and the tone became fuller w/ good bottom end. I also am replacing the vintage Kluson-type tuners w/ Gotoh vintage-style locking tuners, but that is simply because I cannot stand the split-shaft tuners, quality on the factory tuners is fine.

BTW I have the 60s Strat, but all this applies to the 50s version as well.

Archived