fender tele fmt ?

koen77

• Members

I currently have a les paul studio 93' that sounds good but is very heavy and a bit uncomfortable to play for me. I'm considering selling and getting a telecaster fmt to replace it. A lot of owners have been raving about it and it's not expensive, it's korean made. Would i get a comparable sound out of it or should i stick with the studio? Thanks

• Members

Well, only you can say if it sounds similar enough to satisfy you. They sound more like an LP than a tele, but I mean... if you hand one to slash that has been playing LPs almost exclusively for a decade or so, he'll give you a 'what the hell' look. They don't sound or feel identical by any stretch.

I'll say, they are pretty damn sweet guitars. I had an older one with the Fender pickups (the later had Dimarzios and Duncans) and they sounded great run full or split. And they are just beautiful guitars.

• Members

It's certainly a lightweight guitar, but it won't sound the same. They're definitely more trebly in my experience.

If you dig the Studio but not its weight, I'd recommend just finding a lighter one. That's what I did with my LP: I had a 58 RI that looked, sounded, and played great, but it weighed 9.5 or so, which was a bit more than I like. I sold it and bought a chambered 58 RI at 7.4 lbs and couldn't be happier.

• Members

I was pleasantly pleased with the pickups in my FMT Tele. No, it won't sound like a Les Paul, but it does have a nice sound coming out of those HB's. A little more treble (especially with the push pull knob set to SC). It's also one of the most comfortable guitars I've ever played (a little thinner than a regular Tele, and not a flat, but contoured body). To me, it's one of the best buys for your money! I love mine!:thu:

GuitarsJan09059b.jpg

• Members

I've had three of the Korean set-neck Tele/Esquires. The necks are very thin, relatively flat and somewhat wide - similar to a Gibson 60's neck, but thinner. The bodies are comparable to an SG, however they have a carved top and have a belly-cut. The three that I have had were all mahogany and I am guessing the FMT is nothing more than a thin veneer, although I may be wrong.

I bought this with similar hopes to yourself: that it would satisfy my Les Paul needs, but for me, I can safely say that it did not. This one had the DiMarzios which, as stated above, split nicely, but I found them to be lifeless over all. Yes, I could've swapped the pups to see what results that may have yielded, but I got an offer on it for more than I paid, so buh-bye it went.

02-22-2009_Olympus056.jpg

This is my all time #1 favorite guitar. It was an Esquire Custom GT that I had refinished and added a Rio Grande Fat Bastard. There's no reason to post this because it's not an FMT nor has dual humbuckers, but let the love shine!

Esquire_12.jpg

• Members

They are fantastic guitars. This is the most versatile guitar I've ever owned. It came stock with DiMarzio Tone Zone and Air Norton, both with coil splits. The neck pickup sounds great in single coil mode, and the bridge is warm and creamy with high gain distortion. It's definitely not a traditional Tele sound by any stretch of the imagination, but with the coil split, it covers Fender and Gibson territory pretty well.

goldtopTele.jpg

• Members

I've got one like Howard's above, 'cept it's red. Beautiful guitar, neck and body binding, immaculate. Mine came with Pearly Gates and '59. Didn't expect it to sound like a Tele and it didn't. Doesn't go far into LP land but that's ok. Didn't expect it to be a LP either.

What it is, is a dang fine guitar that can cover a lot of ground. Very comfortable to play, nice flat neck. Play one if you can. Great guitar.

• Members

I've got one like Howard's above, 'cept it's red. Beautiful guitar, neck and body binding, immaculate. Mine came with Pearly Gates and '59. Didn't expect it to sound like a Tele and it didn't. Doesn't go far into LP land but that's ok. Didn't expect it to be a LP either.

What it is, is a dang fine guitar that can cover a lot of ground. Very comfortable to play, nice flat neck. Play one if you can. Great guitar.

I agree with everything you say here. I also had a red one, but decided that one FMT Tele was enough and kept the blue one. The red one was beautiful and played as well as it looked. I traded it in to get an Epiphone Les Paul Custom (Alpine White). Both of my FMT's had Fender HB's (Fender Atomic II in the bridge and a Fender Black Canyon HB in the neck). Very nice pickups and I've never even thought about putting different ones in it. :thu:

• Members

Both of my FMT's had Fender HB's (Fender Atomic II in the bridge and a Fender Black Canyon HB in the neck). Very nice pickups and I've never even thought about putting different ones in it.
:thu:

Mine had the Fenders and I completely agree. I've played them with the Fenders and the Dimarzios and for versatility and tone for everything except the brootz, I'd take the Fenders without hesitation.

I bought mine fully intending to install Seth Lovers but the stockers sounded so good, I couldn't bring myself to do it.

• Members

I have one that is great. I almost bought two more but didn't for reasons unrelated to the guitars.

I replaced the pickups in mine but the ones in it were pretty good -just not what I wanted.

It looked great with a zebra in the bridge:

Teleafterpickupswap.jpg

but I had a pickup made specifically for it with a cover:

IMG_0634.jpg

I really love the guitar.

• Members

I never took any good pics of mine, but here's one I snapped when I first got 'er home:

IMG_2464a1.jpg

Exactly like mine, only I replaced the black pickup rings with cream colored ones. The transparent blue wasn't offered at first and then was only available for a short while. It's a keeper for sure.:thu:

GuitarsJan09069cr.jpg

Here's mine in a similar lighting as yours.

• Members

my god, stop with the pics, the gas, the terrible gas, won't be able to sleep at night ! Thanks for all the replies, i guess i just have to play one and then i can really make up my mind,... they sure do look nice though:thu:

• Members

I had one but returned it. Actually forgot I bought one at 629.00

The Squire j5, IMO is better at half the price, although it could use some upgrades aswell. The pickups are great. I am now selling it also for a

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Classic-Player-Telecaster-Deluxe-With-Tremolo-Electric-Guitar?sku=620811

and plan to change the neck with a 72 Telecaster Custom Tele neck and possibly change the color. :thu:

Archived