How much for a re-fret?

Lobsterbush

• Members

I have an Epi D-14 (not epiphone) that has a norlin logo on the bottom of the label inside the guitar. Curious if anyone can shed any light on these guitars?

It needs to have new frets installed and I am curious how much I should expect to pay?

Tried asking these questions in the acoustic forum but no help, and I figured with all the Gibson knowledge over here someone may know something about these epi guitars

• Members

:eek:
For that price I'd rather just buy my own tools and do the job myself.
:lol:

:lol: Famous last words.

The cost of refretting a guitar varies considerably.

The cheaper jobs are usually just that: cheap and nasty.

Expect to pay top dollar for a decent job and, it's not that simple to do.

• Members

Thats what I found out AFTER I posted that by checking the cost of tools on stew-mac
:lol:

Still would try it anyways because I like diying stuff.
:p
And because I just got a lot of money XD

If that was the case wouldn't you rather just pay someone with a good rep to do it for a better price and get a near guarantee that the job is going to be perfect instead of risking doing it yourself and fucking it up lol :facepalm:

• Members

the tools are probably gonna cost about that much or more :poke:

They don't have to. The most expensive tool for the job I have is a $40 crowning file from Stew-Mac. Most everything else is stuff you can buy at your local hardware store. If I did a lot of re-frets it would be worthwhile to invest in better tools, but I probably only do 3-4 a year.

• Members

I paid $180 for a laquered neck strat refret last year. It was a very experienced tech and he did an amazing job. Not sure if an acoustic would be any more or less, but I would guess it's in that ballpark (depending where you live, of course).

I'm comfortable rewiring pickups and doing setups on my guitars, but I'm too nervous about ruining a guitar to do a refret myself...

• Members

First find out if a refret is what you need. A grind and polish may suffice, or maybe a partial refret.

As for cost, alot depends on the guitar: neck binding or not, fretboard material and finish, replacement fret cost and material, etc. The rest is

DIY a neck refret? Buy a POS neck and practice on it first. When you can do it cleanly a few times without damaging the crap neck, then consider DIYing it. Until then let a professional do it.

• Members

I had a friend of mine who bought that exact same model new in the late 70's.

He bought it from this music store in Chicago and I remember he paid $200 for it new. I also remember it had a kind of bright sound.

He was more of an electric player and didn't want to spend much.

I went for an Alvarez Yairi DY45 model. Paid $400

• Members

I paid $180 for a laquered neck strat refret last year. It was a very experienced tech and he did an amazing job. Not sure if an acoustic would be any more or less, but I would guess it's in that ballpark (depending where you live, of course).

I'm comfortable rewiring pickups and doing setups on my guitars, but I'm too nervous about ruining a guitar to do a refret myself...

+1

I appear to be brutal on frets (or the ones I have on my strat are cheap and have excessive wear as a result) so I need to find a good tech and probably get stainless steel as well. Seems like the going price in my area is ~$300-400 which is a lot of a cheap guitar (MIM strat) but I really love the neck and it will be worth it I think to keep that nice neck as is

• Members

I had a friend of mine who bought that exact same model new in the late 70's.

He bought it from this music store in Chicago and I remember he paid $200 for it new. I also remember it had a kind of bright sound.

He was more of an electric player and didn't want to spend much.

I went for an Alvarez Yairi DY45 model. Paid $400

Thanks guitarcapo. I figured it was from the late 70's or early 80's but just tryin to find some kind of info.

• Members

I realize the guitar needing the refret here probably isn't a bolt-on - BUT isn't a bolt-on neck guitar that's in need of a refret, really just in need of a new neck? Considering a new no-frills Warmoth neck $157?

Yeah but if you have an obscure guitar with a neck you love that isn't really a good option.

Archived