American Standard Strat Setup & Nut Replacement

bobc

• Members

I replaced the nut on my American Standard Strat with a graph tech nut and was wondering... what is that little square that sticks out of the bottom of the graph tech nut in the middle?

I just filed it off because the slot is cut in an arch (the same as the bottom of the nut), but I'm sure it's on there for a reason.

Anyone know what it's for?

I also did a complete setup on it. I followed the instruction guide in order, and everything seems perfect. I set the tremolo bridge flush because I don't use it, and set everything up based on the bridge being flush.

This is the first complete setup I ever did on an electric guitar, so I'm proud of myself...:)

I LOVE THIS GUITAR!!!

I played it at an open mic last night and it sounded BEAUTIFUL!!!

It's so easy to play that I can't believe it. Anyway, I just wanted to share my experience ( or rather inexperience...:) ).

• Members

Some nut slots are cut straight across, to the tab is there for that. If the nut slot is curved then you did the right thing by getting rid of it.

I also play my Strats with the bridge flush. I don't use the trem and I like how they feel that way better than with a floating bridge.

• Members

Is it better to get the Tremlocked off with wood or something??? I am thinking of getting this thing done.

Anyone done it??

I have heard people here refer to blocking it, but I don't know what it means. Maybe someone will chime in and explain it.

• Members

Some nut slots are cut straight across, to the tab is there for that. If the nut slot is curved then you did the right thing by getting rid of it.

I also play my Strats with the bridge flush. I don't use the trem and I like how they feel that way better than with a floating bridge.

Cool. Thanks.

• Members

Is it better to get the Tremlocked off with wood or something??? I am thinking of getting this thing done.

Anyone done it??

You simply place a block of wood between the trem block and the body, thus stopping the bridge from moving. I use nine gauge strings, so screwing the trem claw screws in until the bridhe is flush and doesn't move does the same thing.

• Members

Anyone done it??

You can either do that, or tighten down the screws all the way (or add more springs, same thing). This works for 9 gauge strings, but it may not work for heavier strings, or bends past a whole step. It's the only way I can play a guitar with a trem. Otherwise everytime you bend a string, the others go out of tune.

Below are two examples of the most basic kind of bluesy/rock bends. In these examples, all the strings are expected to ring together, before, during, and/or after the bend. Do them on a floating trem and they will sound bad. Check them with your tuner. After you bend the G string, the B and E clearly drop in pitch. If it's not tightened down or blocked you will easily be able to see the bridge physically move when you bend a string.

I hear that Floyd Rose players (and perhaps normal trem users) hold the trem in place with their picking hand to make these sound right, and if so, my hat's off to them. I can barely make these bends in the middle of songs without that extra complicator.

-----------12------------------

--------12--------------15-----

-12~14---------14~16--------

--------------------------------

Archived