Surfy's Guitar Build

Surfdude

• Members

Finally got this one started. Sort of a tele shape and size but with a little different upper horn configuration. Similar to an ES335. In the process of looking for a bolt on, Gibson scale neck.

Shown is the cut out and the 1/4 maple cap. Guitar is made from an old sofa that a harmonica player friend was throwing away about a dozen years ago. I rescued it from the curb and told him that I was going to make a guitar out of it some day. Well, that day is here.

Sorry for the crummy first picture as it was taken from my cell phone. Met the owner of a pickup company last week and plan on getting some hand wound P90's for it.

It may take a while to finish this instrument as money is tight but I'm hoping that posting it here will motivate me to keep chipping away at it. Also plan on buying some router jigs for the neck and pickups as I have been doing it freehand in the past.

Surfy

378147399.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Just a couple of more pictures. Going pretty slow but should begin to take shape faster now that I have most of the necesssary parts. P-90's are next. Probably GFS but may have some custom wound Nordstrands if it turns out real good.

379810650.jpg
I have done the routing for the electronics and wiring and am glueing the 1/4 inch maple top on. Note the solid wood under the bridge and rear pickup area. I want a good solid bridge and I want a completely different sound when switching from the rear to front pickups. I am hoping the chambered/holowed out area under the front pickup will give it a warmer, more open sound.

379810645.jpg
Top is glued down. Old Peavey short scale neck is going on this one. The nut to the 15th fret actually measures the same as the nut to the 14th fret on my LP. Talk about a short scale!

More to come.

Surfy

• Members

!viva la sofacaster!

Sofacaster it is. Thanks. I was going to call it a tele335 or something.

Just cleaned up the edges with a flush bit and the router. Time for the neck pocket and placement of the bridge. Need to make a routing template for the neck pocket so it may be a few days.

Surfy

• Members

Built an old skool neck routing template.
379958696.jpg

Neck fits perfect and will even handle a few light coats of lacquer.
379958697.jpg

Next is the drilling for the bridge, the neck setting and then the body work once everything checks out. I will route for the pickups as soon as I get them. I may put binding on the front...not sure yet.

Surfy

• 3 weeks later...

Archived