What do you do when you're in a musical lull?

photon9

• Members

I try not to pressure myself.. And I may still play, but if the muse isn't there I'll at least try to do some drills.

Also, maybe find a genre you've never jammed to and give it a try, like classical, middle eastern etc.

Or get stuck in traffic for a few hours, that always gets me in the mood for power chords.

• Members

I usually play along with the vocal line of songs. Helps develop your ear and playing simple stuff helps you work on the subtleties of playing... Phrasing, vibrato, bends, and natural sounding slides up to the actual note.

• Members

I work with effects a lot....if I get stuck with my playing when I am writing then I throw on a delay or trem or something to let me play to the effect. Let's me come up with new things by playing to the effect as opposed to just writing a song.

• Members

learn another instrument....and go there for a while

I've been practicing bass lately actually. Having better luck on that. Trying to get bass fingers so I can try out for worship team. Maybe I should just concentrate on that for a while.

I got spoiled over christmas vacation / layoff relaxation time playing as loud as I wanted at my parents house. It's just not the same low volume at my apartment. And my Vox AC30 took a dump on me... making a weird buzzing sound. Now I'm trying to decide if I should take it to a tech or just get rid of it since I already have a big, heavy, great sounding amp in my SFTR.

• Members

you're welcome - discipline is a real challange - you've got to have back-bone

the only other recco I can spare is to not sweat the small stuff . . . and most of it is small stuff

Yeah I think the problem is that my practices aren't disciplined enough. I keep finding myself running through pentatonic scales or just banging out some cowboy chords. Was kinda hoping for advice on how to have for focused practices. The other ideas have been great too though. Definitely have to pick up a couple megadeth albums.

• Members
I don't get high and play anymore. It messes up my coordination too much. Actually I rarely smoke truth be told.

ha yea, I can't play for {censored} when I'm high, but I still come up with cool things.. I just cant fully execute them. I just have to write it down, then try again when I sober up :lol:

Archived