Suggestions for a first guitar?

Kyle of Cydonia

• Members

While I sort of agree about the 'starter packs', you will NEED:

strap

cord

picks (unless you're planning on learning fingerstyle)

strings (at least ONE replacement set is highly recommended)

maybe a guitar stand (better than leaning on something with chance of falling)

You'll need to add another ~$30 to get the accessories (including tax - don't forget that).

I agree about the Micro Cube 30 as a great starter (and take-along) amp.

Price everything out, sum, add the tax, and see if you're still within your budget.

• Members

I would second the comment about staying away from a whammy bar, for a beginner. Also, don't try to get anything too fancy. Odds are, that within a year you will not really want it anymore and will be looking to upgrade (we've all been there). I have no love for starter packs, but they do have all the pieces to get you going. My suggestion would be to buy used, usually more bang for the buck.

Remember, guitars are sort of like women. No matter how much you like the one your with, you still find your eye wandering from time to time and will want something better

• Members

Get something with a fixed bridge, like a Telecaster, to make things easier. You can get a Strat or superstrat later. Setting up a tremolo -- especially a licensed Floyd Rose -- can give headaches to anyone just starting out.

I'd recommend a used Squier Standard Telecaster and a Roland Micro Cube. That should get you a decent, playable rig under your budget.

BTW, I figured you for a Muse fan straight away from your user name. :D

• Members

Okay, so based on what you guys have said, I think I'm going to pass on the starter packs. I'm thinking a Squier Bullet Stratocaster would be perfect for me, since it is pretty cheap and has fantastic reviews. For an amp, I think I'll choose between the Roland Cube 15X and the Roland Micro Cube. Does the amp include a cable? If not, I've heard that Monster is a good brand.

Monster Cable S-100:

While Monster is pretty good, I'd recommend the Live Wire Advantage series cable. It's a lot cheaper than Monster and it gets the job done just fine. There's no reason to pay more for essentially the same result, especially now.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Live-Wire-Advantage-Series-1-4--Straight-Instrument-Cable-100029990-i1128384.gc

Archived