Anyone here play classical on an electric guitar?

Boy

• Members

Sometimes when I go into the shop some kid will play Bach or something through a cranked amp. To me that is disrespectful to the composer(s). Some people like to show off and think their brilliant because they can play bouree in E minor on electric.
:facepalm:

Thing is, I am really NOT trying to hurt your feelings here or be rude or whatever, but why do you think anyone is remotely interested on why you think some other persons's interpretation on music is disrespectful to the composer?

It simply doesnt matter what Bach would think, A: He's dead, and B: He doesnt own the exclusive right to play and perform his own music.

so, just because you believe what you believe and yo think everyone else should believe what you believe too, that is fine. Your big mistake is thinking anyone actually cares what you believe.

Have a nice day. :wave:

XbTzYX-hYKw

• Members

Some people like to show off and think their brilliant because they can play bouree in E minor on electric.
:facepalm:

Blues Saraceno's version of Bouree on electric was awesome :)

How on earth is that disrespectful? I'm sure Bach would be proud to know that people still give a {censored}.

• Members

I would like to think Bach would give a hearty "Hell Yeah" if he heard is music played through a cranked amp.

You, sir, are correct.

During his lifetime, JS Bach's pieces were assailed by some critics as being loud, fast and rude... all the things that make Rock-n-Roll :thu:

• Members

I have a couple years classical guitar training under my belt but it is not my 'forte' (drum roll? no?). Too much love for electric guitar here. Still, I love to play classical pieces on electric though more often on my acoustic-electric steel string. No disrespect at all. It is fun to play and the multiple running lines make for a fuller experience. But I refuse to play Pachebel's 'Canon in D' (see comedic video posted here somewhere).
:p

Playing those pieces on electric and steel-string acoustic must be rough on the finger nails, eh?

• Members

Playing those pieces on electric and steel-string acoustic must be rough on the finger nails, eh?

Sometimes. On the electric, you really don't have to 'attack' the strings as much so softer fingerpicking suffices. Because I don't 'play' classical these days, my fingernails are shorter than if I were so it is more fingertip with a bit of nail for clarity.

• Members

Actually, Bach's music was assailed by some people for being too complicated and too old fashioned not for being too loud rude or fast.

I think some of you are mistaking classical violin for classical guitar. People like Yngwie and and the Mike Varney crowd are imitating classical violinists not classical guitarists which is an entirely different animal. Classical guitar is dense and contrapuntal, there are not a whole lot of blazing single lines for the most part and when there are its usually a bunch of slurs.

Archived