Anyone here play classical on an electric guitar?

Boy

• Members

Sometimes when I go into the shop some kid will play Bach or something through a cranked amp. To me that is disrespectful to the composer(s). Some people like to show off and think their brilliant because they can play bouree in E minor on electric.:facepalm:

• Members

Sometimes when I go into the shop some kid will play Bach or something through a cranked amp. To me that is disrespectful to the composer(s). Some people like to show off and think their brilliant because they can play bouree in E minor on electric.
:facepalm:

I would like to think Bach would give a hearty "Hell Yeah" if he heard is music played through a cranked amp.

• Members

Speaking as someone with a degree in classical guitar, I don't see why it would be disrespectful.

Classical music is not something that should be put on a pedestal as a holy relic, it is music that is meant to be enjoyed an used. Besides the modern classical guitar did not even exist in Bach's day (and the modern piano did not either). You just can't use distortion because it muddys the multiple melodic lines.

What IS disrespectful is when you do like Randy Rhoads did with Diary of a Madman and Yngwie has done with numerous pieces is to take a classsical piece and take credit for it without mentioning the composer.

• Members

Speaking as someone with a degree in classical guitar, I don't see why it would be disrespectful.

Classical music is not something that should be put on a pedestal as a holy relic, it is music that is meant to be enjoyed an used. Besides the modern classical guitar did not even exist in Bach's day (and the modern piano did not either). You just can't use distortion because it muddys the multiple melodic lines.

What IS disrespectful is when you do like Randy Rhoads did with Diary of a Madman and Yngwie has done with numerous pieces is to take a classsical piece and take credit for it without mentioning the composer.

Diary of a Madman is a ripoff of what? Link plz

• Members

I don't know if this is correct but according to Wikipedia:

Guitarist Randy Rhoads was taking classical guitar lessons while on the "Blizzard of Ozz" tour, and came up with the opening acoustic riff by using a variation of Cuban composer Leo Brouwer's Etude #6.

• Members

Yes, Etude #1 by Leo Brouwer. It uses the same chord progression same voicing same picking pattern same everything. I guess with the vocals and drums etc it was considered changed enough to avoid litigation. Brouwer is a modern living composer, obviously composers from the 18th century are not bound by copyright. But Incarus Dream Suite by Yngwie is a note-for note copy of a violin concerto by Tomaso Albinoni, but there is no mention of it.

• Members

getting back to the original topic....classical music is fine on electric guitar, its just that it will be for your own enjoyment, the classical guitar world is not going to welcome you with open arms and you won't get very far in a university degree program, but who cares.

• Members

I have a couple years classical guitar training under my belt but it is not my 'forte' (drum roll? no?). Too much love for electric guitar here. Still, I love to play classical pieces on electric though more often on my acoustic-electric steel string. No disrespect at all. It is fun to play and the multiple running lines make for a fuller experience. But I refuse to play Pachebel's 'Canon in D' (see comedic video posted here somewhere). :p

Archived