8 inches of snow here

Cymro#1

• Members

We got over 2ft in one storm the other week (I am sure that everyone has heard about it by now). I've seen some snow; but that was the most from one storm that I've ever seen in my life.

98% of statistics are made up.

:lol:

I am not going to even pretend that I have any factual personal knowledge and since I am pretty sure that trying to weed through what is contrived, biased or has an agenda is a waste of more time than I have on this earth I will only say one thing.

2012 is around the corner so smoke 'em while you got 'em boys! :thu:

Seriously though we try to keep a small carbon footprint because regardless of what the earth is or isn't doing in terms of temperature I can't imagine one scenario where polluting the {censored} out of it is a good thing to do.

I do think that the earth is a lot bigger than most of us (even collectively) and that the longterm climate changes that it's going to make are going to happen regardless of what we do. I mean if the earth had been the same exact way since it was first created that would be one thing, but it's organic and evolving and is going to probably end up in a state that none of us want at some point regardless of what we do.

I'm more worried about the {censored} in yellowstone going up and covering half the planet or a major tectonic event screwing things up. And since I really have no part to take in it happening or not I am just going to be as responsible as I personally can because it makes me feel a little better at night when I am alone.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Sure, you can take any stance you like to discount academic evidence, if you wish to do so. Most sensible people will listen and learn from scientists who have devoted their lives to solving the warming issue.

If only the bodies you cited took your advice and didn't discount academic evidence from scientists who've devoted their lives to science. Do you notice that I said "science", and not "solving the warming issue"? Either the scientists you're referring to are very very young, or they came to their conclusions quite some time ago without very much evidence. I'd much rather listen to scientists who put science ahead of politics and where their next grant is coming from.

Now this isn't to say that man hasn't played a role in warming. We may very well have, but the cart is WAY ahead of the horse as far as evidence goes. What I'd like to see is an end to stifling debate and silencing real scientists who pose real objections with real data. The debate is only over because one side refuses to participate.

• Members
If only the bodies you cited took your advice and didn't discount academic evidence from scientists who've devoted their lives to science. Do you notice that I said "science", and not "solving the warming issue"? Either the scientists you're referring to are very very young, or they came to their conclusions quite some time ago without very much evidence. I'd much rather listen to scientists who put science ahead of politics and where their next grant is coming from.

Now this isn't to say that man hasn't played a role in warming. We may very well have, but the cart is WAY ahead of the horse as far as evidence goes. What I'd like to see is an end to stifling debate and silencing real scientists who pose real objections with real data. The debate is only over because one side refuses to participate.

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

Oh god. (and I don't even believe in god).

• Members
Any of you Americans following the weather here in UK......Enough to freeze the frets off a Strat!!!!

Snow and ice everywhere. Thousands of schools closed , huge disruptions. Worst for 20years. Worse to come apparently this weekend.

Put your tubes outside and see if they cryogenicly sound better. ;)

Weather has been weird the last year here too. 107 to 112 in summer and 15 in winter with sunshine, no snow. Last year we had over a foot and a half of snow when it normally just rains.

I live near Seattle...

Real weird.

• Members

Where exactly was that?
:eek:
My sister lives in Seattle and the record temp EVER recorded is 102.

107 where I was. East side near Lake Samamish hit 112 in areas. When you live out here you can drive 10 minutes and have a change in temp. Puget sound is funny that way. Mine was 107 in the shade btw. I live East of Tacoma.

Looks like Seattle's record was 103 the same time from what I found.

• Members
Can't see anything strange about it Dark. Fact....Gaping hole above the North Pole.

Fact........... CO 2 a By product of burning fossil fuels, oh, yes and from cows' backsides.

Fact......Humans don't like CO2, they MUCH prefer good old O.

Logging companies cutting down equatorial forests the size of Wales on a monthly basis taking away the CO2 absorption capacity of mother earth....greatly adding to accumulation of CO2 in atmosphere.

I think we've probably got a lot to do with it. David Attenborough's documentary screened before Christmas was superb, explained the whole thing brilliantly. Now that man is a genius.

The Vostok ice core shows that current levels of C02 greatly exceed anything seen over the last 400,000 years.

Graphs show a strong relationship between C02 in the air, and global temperature.

CO2-Temp.jpg

But, there's little point in saying these things. As Ben Goldacre (google him) said, Climate Change deniers don't listen to evidence that they find inconvenient, no matter how solidly the denialist arguments are debunked (and they have been), they'll just be back again repeating the same old discredited arguments.

Fundamentally, because they don't care. They want their 4x4s and hummers, all their consumer goods, and future generations can go to hell.

• Members

The Vostok ice core shows that current levels of C02 greatly exceed anything seen over the last 400,000 years.

How can that be if there have been several times in the last 400,000 years where it's been warmer than it currently is now? Obviously nothing else other than C02 could cause the earth to get warmer than it is today, and if we've never seen more C02 than now, it must be impossible.

Graphs show a strong relationship between C02 in the air, and global temperature.

And as we all know, correlation equals causation. Oh, wait.

Archived