Esquire wiring... with a humbucker

Mr_GoodBomb

• Members

Our singer/guitarist wants to swap his current tele electronics, a standard neck pickup and a lil 59 bridge pickup on a 3-way and 250k volume and tone pot for an Esquire wiring diagram. However, of course, it should be modded slightly because the bridge pickup is a humbucker. However, he wants the same effect.

1 - bridge pickup w/ bass capacitor added

2 - bridge pickup w/ tone control in line

3 - bridge pickup w/ tone control out of circuit

He should be using 500k pots. He's not looking to coiltap it or anything like that, he just wants it to function like a good ol' Esquire with the bass setting, but we dunno what capacitors to use. Any ideas? Thanks a lot, guys!

• Members

Is this what your looking for?

I have found that diagram, actually. Thank you, though, I appreciate the effort. However, with a humbucker, it would require different tone caps than with singlecoils, which is my main reason for posting this thread.

• Members

I have found that diagram, actually. Thank you, though, I appreciate the effort. However, with a humbucker, it would require different tone caps than with singlecoils, which is my main reason for posting this thread.

I would go the 500k pot just for the volume and keep a 250k on the tone then use the same capacitance value referenced.

I don't see a reason to go to 500k tone control.

• Members

Well if he wants an Esquire why is he putting a humbucker in it? To follow this line of thinking through...If you want it to "remain an Esquire"...why further modify the wiring and change the cap values at all? If sound quality over authenthicity is your concern I would say that the wiring I suggested would make better sound than muddy caps especially with humbuckers involved. The arbitrary "rules" people put up always amaze me with these suggestion threads. I'm always fascinated at the logic behingd them.

Mike: I have this Porsche and I'd like to use it to haul firewood. Now I want it to remain a Porsche so I don't want to use a trailer or anything like that. What sheet metal should I use to elongate the back to make a cargo area?

Ike: Personally I'd just use a trailer hitch and haul the firewood that way.

Mike: No thanks. Like I said before. I'd like for it to remain a Porsche...for hauling firewood.

• Members

Well if he wants an Esquire why is he putting a humbucker in it? If you want it to remain an Esquire...why change the cap values at all? If sound quality is your concern I would say that the wiring I suggested would make better sound than muddy caps especially with humbuckers involved

Mike: I have this Porsche and I'd like to use it to haul firewood. Now I want it to remain a Porsche so I don't want to use a trailer or anything like that. What sheet metal should I use to elongate the back to make a cargo area?

Ike: Personally I'd just use a trailer hitch and haul the firewood that way.

Mike: No thanks. Like I said before. I'd like for it to remain a Porsche.

It's what he wants. I don't care why. I'm just doing it for him.

He doesn't want split or phased coils because he won't use it. That part he clearly told me, as it was my first suggestion. "No, I want an Esquire." But his guitar has a humbucker. It's not rocket science, it's just changing the values of a couple pots and caps.

Where is it anyone else's concern what he wants? I don't even care as much as you seem to and I have to deal with the damn guitar every day. He wants what he wants and I offered to help him get it.

Archived