Are Epiphone LP's chambered or weight relieved?

MichaelSaulnier

• Members

I know most production Gibson LP's for the last 25+ years have either weight relief holes or chambering... but what about Epi's.

My '56 Goldtop P-90 is heavier than my '05 Gibson LP Standard...

I'm guessing that's because it's NOT weight relieved or chambered.

Anyone know the answer?

M

• Members

Well not to start a flame-war, but wouldn't that make the Epi's more faithful to the original specs? Aside from the historical re-issues stuff?

Only if you consider Mahagany Plywood faithful to the original. My Epi LP was much much heavier than any Gibson I've ever picked up. Was still a great player but the weight was ridiculous.

• Members

Only if you consider Mahagany Plywood faithful to the original. My Epi LP was much much heavier than any Gibson I've ever picked up. Was still a great player but the weight was ridiculous.

Both of mine were heavy too but they were not plywood. None of the Les Pauls are (maybe the real low end LP Jrs. but I don't know for sure).

I routed one for a Floyd and know for a fact it was not plywood. It was alder.

• Members

I used to have an Epi LP Custom that was a great guitar but was incredibly heavy - a real back breaker. I eventually sold it and bought a Gibson LP Studio Lite, which I really like. But I've since gone into Guitar Center and picked up about a dozen Epi LP's to feel the weight and they varied tremendously from one to another. Not sure what accounts for the difference - maybe different wood?

Archived