Pawn shops MORONS

jtr654

• Members

i thought the only people that actually went to pawn shops were tweakers and hookers.

Yeah. So?

Zenbu is correct, if you're interested, you must go often. Individual stores vary widely on how they price gear and it basically all comes down to management.

One of my best earning stores got a new manager recently. I'll probably never buy anything there again, at least while she's still there. She personally cleaned out the stockroom and put all the guitars out. Insane pricing.

Peavey T-60 for $999.00. The best one was a low end BC Rich (Warlock or something with one pup and non-sealed tuners) in red for $999.00. Now...it's crazy...but what's more crazy is the exact same guitar in blue hanging on the same wall for $800 less. I asked her if she'd made a mistake, and she said no...that's the price and that's what they sell for.

OK....

Others are great. Just last night one of my faves turned up a mid 70's Ibanez Concord in excellent condition and priced it at $219. That's a very nice Japanese made dreadnought that's essentially a copy of a Gibson Hummingbird, and about $100 below current market value. Got a mint `08 MIM Fender std tele from them last month for $180.

So, yeah...depends on the management of the store and if they believe in rolling inventory over quickly.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Pawn America in the Twin Cities? Ewww. Every time that slimy owner comes on my TV with one of his cheesy commercials, I want to get the Windex and clean my screen.

He deserves to die for that horrible jingle alone. "Pawn America is right for you..."

I can almost picture him in a greasy wifebeater and a balding combover with brown coffee stained teeth complete with halitosis, and reeking of farts and bo.

• Members

The whole fake MusicMan guitar thing that Ed Roman got busted for kills any credability the guy may have had. He got cought by MusicMan buying OLP guitars, grinding off the tops, gluing on new ones replacing some hardware and then selling them as Petrucci sigs. Why would you buy anything from a guy that has been proven to rip people off and produce faked guitars?

Max

• Members

Pawn shops don't all suck.

Some scores over the years:

Gibson Gothic LP with OHSC, $250.

Fender MIM P bass, $100

PV Classic 30, $100

MusicMan SUB with HSC, $220

Fender MIM Tele, $150

Fender MIA Tele with Duncans and HSC, $575

Most recently I got a 1973 Guild S100 for $600 OTD with HSC.

Yeah there's plenty of shops with junk strat copies at $150 per, but if you keep your eyes open deals sometimes jump up.

• Members

The only way to get decent prices at a pawn shop is to know the owner.

Not true.

The week before x-mas I bought a mint Fender Blues Deluxe with footswitch and cover for $214 OTD. I couldn't begin to tell you who the owner of said shop is.

I can tell you I sold it to a women two days before x-mas for $450 and she came to me to pick it up. It was a gift for her hubby.

• Members
I have concluded that my local pawns are more stupid than sleazy. For years I have seen the same 10 guitars hanging in one shop near my office marked with stupid high prices. A few cycle in and out but I figure those same turds are hanging there year after year because they overpaid for them and refuse to take a loss.

FWIW I seem to hear the best pawnshop stories from Florida.

That seems to be true. I lived in Pensacola for a bit and they had some good stuff go through there occasionally. Some of the guys were still complete sleazes but they had good stuff. Pawn shops in central New York suck :mad:

• Members

I've got a local pawnshop next to a sushi bar that me and the wife usually stop into after lunch to have a laugh. I have no idea at all how they stay in business because only an idiot would pay their prices on ANYTHING in there. Everything is higher than you could buy the same item for new for any kind of item you can imagine.

I haven't seen a good deal in a pawnshop in 20 years.

• Members

I agree with the guys that say you have to go often. Good deals don't last long.

I've gotten the following at the same pawn shop.

Peavey Classic 30 - $200
Peavey MIA Predator - $75
US Masters LeGrand Floyd - $275

Granted, those purchases are spaced out over about a 5 year period, but I've seen some other pretty nice deals in there that I've passed on for reasons ranging from I didn't have the money, to I was in the car, so a 412 cabinet wouldn't fit in the trunk.

On the flip side of the coin, this same pawn shop, 9 times out of 10, has nothing but beaten up, overpriced, low end guitars.

You don't score a deal from them very often, but occasionally, you'll find something that'll make you come back.

• Members

I always hear about people finding Gibsons for cheap in pawn shops, but when I go all I find is random knockoff brands.

While there are examples of cheap Gibsons to be found in hock, a lot of those stories are according to time and cultural taste. When everyone was into glam metal and floyd roses, SGs were cheap as {censored}. Now that people are buying up Airlines and other similar old weird cheapos, some metal guitars are easy to find cheap (depending on where you live). Whatever isn't very cool at the moment, you can find easier.

• Members

Pawnshops were sometimes great places to find deals before the rise of eBay, but not anymore. 99 out of 100 people with decent guitars know what they have and would rather take a week to sell it on eBay if they need the cash, and pawnshops themselves often hold back the good stuff they get and sell it on eBay. The only stuff that goes out on the sales floor is the crap, in the hopes of snagging a few idiots or maybe a non-musician parent who is looking to buy little Johnny his first guitar and doesn't know prices.

• Members

If its a completely original, Pre-lawsuit (has the tele headstock) one then yeah, it can fetch $1500+, but thats only because prince uses one, and they only really fetched that just after the superbowl.

But yeah, the huge pawn shop in Brighton has an electric guitarsection with 80's squiers and epiphones for

• Members

Pawnshops vary a lot. Prices rangeing from silly good to rediculous high. Only rule of thumb seems to be seller gets about 1/4 what pawn shop hopes to sell it for. I can see pawn shops in areas the rich visit, selling for prices lusting collectors would pay for them on ebay.

Archived