Pawn shops MORONS

jtr654

• Members

I went to one of the local Pawn America today . I look and there a Hohner Tele ( Prince) guitar I ask the girl if its mispriced and she says no it $1999.99 .I asked again if they didn't accidently put a extra 9 on the price and she says I can talk to the Manager if I'ld like I say NO. Another clerk that I know better comes over and I tell both that the guitar isn't worth even the $199 .The guy tell me one just sold on Ebay for well over their asking price. This is the same place that had the Asian Knockoff Gibson Custom LP ,I feel like telling them to get their head out of their ASS but Know it'll do no good and walk out.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Dude, I hear you.. The most expensive places around here are not the guitars shops and Guitar Center, but the pawn shops.. I guess they think customers are idiots.. There is a Squier Strat, obviously quite used, in the pawn shop on main street here and they are asking 499.99 and the owner tells me that these sell for over 1000 brand new. I was amused and printed up some pages from MF and GC on my computer and during lunch I took it by there to show him, but he wouldn't budge. I guess he beleived an idiot is born everyday and one of those idiots would buy his guitar..

• Members

Pawnshops are weird. I wouldn't bother to print something out and go see some pawn shop guy about it.

Sometimes you can get good deals.

As for the Prince guitar, Ed Roman sells the new ones for $800.00 and they're quite nice:

http://www.edroman.com/guitars/IS_HIJGuitars.htm#hohner%20guitars

The one Prince uses is actually one that was ghostbuilt by Ed Roman's shop in Vegas.

For an old one 2k sounds about right.

• Members

Pawn America in the Twin Cities? Ewww. Every time that slimy owner comes on my TV with one of his cheesy commercials, I want to get the Windex and clean my screen.

He deserves to die for that horrible jingle alone. "Pawn America is right for you..."

• Members

I admit their sleazy but I disagree with:

1- Half is stolen - Pawnshops have to hold everything before they sell. First because the person who pawns it has the chance to claim it and most states have strict 30 day hold laws on them and they have to file paperwork with the police on what they take in.

2- Yeah, a lot of what is there was taken to the poor and ignorant, but that's life.

• Members

Pawnshops are weird. I wouldn't bother to print something out and go see some pawn shop guy about it.

Sometimes you can get good deals.

As for the Prince guitar, Ed Roman sells the new ones for $800.00 and they're quite nice:

The one Prince uses is actually one that was ghostbuilt by Ed Roman's shop in Vegas.

For an old one 2k sounds about right.

You mention Ed Roman a lot. Are you him?

• Members

If it is one of the original Hohners with the tele-style headstock it could bring that much. I had one of the second generation ones called the TE Prinz (without the tele headstock) and sold it 6 or 7 years ago for $700. I wish I still had it because it was one of the best tele's I've ever played.

• Members

I admit their sleazy but I disagree with:

1- Half is stolen - Pawnshops have to hold everything before they sell. First because the person who pawns it has the chance to claim it and most states have strict 30 day hold laws on them and they have to file paperwork with the police on what they take in.

2- Yeah, a lot of what is there was taken to the poor and ignorant, but that's life.

Hey, after 30 days, stolen is still stolen, legal or not.

Think about if it was YOUR stuff that got fenced and 30 days elapsed...

• Members

I went to one of the local Pawn America today . I look and there a Hohner Tele ( Prince) guitar I ask the girl if its mispriced and she says no it $1999.99 .I asked again if they didn't accidently put a extra 9 on the price and she says I can talk to the Manager if I'ld like I say NO. Another clerk that I know better comes over and I tell both that the guitar isn't worth even the $199 .The guy tell me one just sold on Ebay for well over their asking price. This is the same place that had the Asian Knockoff Gibson Custom LP ,I feel like telling them to get their head out of their ASS but Know it'll do no good and walk out.

They ARE worth that. True story: A friend of mine bought a Hohner "The Prinz" telecaster for $200 from a music store. I sold it for him on Ebay for over 2 grand. I played it and I thought it was a very nice telecaster. It appeared to be all solid maple. Heavy as hell and the pickups were excellent. I really should have bought it off him instead of giving him the heads up about it's real value and selling it for him...but the guy really needed the money. BTW Ebay made me change the auction because I used Prince's name in the description and apparently he never officially endorsed the model.

• Members

Those old Hohner Teles are nice guitars and do go for well north of a grand. I don't go to any pawn shops, but I do have a few friends who regularly do and keep their eyes open for me. Some stuff turns up, but as a rule pawn shops sell all the good stuff to guitar shops first and jack up the prices on what the shops don't want.

• Members

:rolleyes:for every pawn shop selling a squire strat for $600, inevitably there is one selling a black SG for $40. with a real headstock, correct s/n, everything works blah blah blah ...

don't shop the big cities. when i look in the small towns, i can find a gem. it's like panning for gold - when you know it;s fools gold, you go to another stream. :facepalm:

• Members

That has to be the ugliest tele and headstock I have ever seen.

I actually feel like telecasters are the ugliest guitars Fender makes, and the telecaster headstock in particular is something I've sworn I will never own. But oh god, that headstock on that custom tele is somehow worse. That's terrible.

• Members

Really? As in THE Ed Roman? The loud-mouth, fat-ass dwarf Ed Roman?

Nope. Must be a different guy. I'm thinking of the guy that sold a large piece of property fin NYC after 9/11 and gave the proceeds to several charities and who built me my amazing Mosrite and also let me record in his studio for free when I was a kid.

Must be a different guy.

• Members

About a year ago, the originals were fetching ~$1700 on ebay.

I see the reissue listed for much less:

What are you, an "Eye-Bleach" salesman?!?

That is the ugliest headstock I've ever seen.

A bit of the "Prinz" model history:

http://www.photopix.ch/guitar/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=14&Itemid=5

Archived