what kind of fender...?

boomerang139

• Members

I borrowed a friend's old Fender, but I don't know what model it is (she doesn't know). It doesn't seem to say anywhere at all. Should there be a name somewhere that I'm missing? All it says is "fender" on a silver plate thing on the back of the body just below where the neck starts. No other words whatsoever, except for "EMG" on the three black pickups. The body is white and black, neck is natural wood. I'll try to post a picture, but can anyone tell me which Fender this is?

• Members

Body and bridge say American Standard Strat between 1987 and 2007. There's no way that's an original neck; considering I haven't seen the headstock I'm going out on a limb and saying it might even be a Tele neck with the square butt.

Pickups aren't original, and the pickup selector switch has likely been swapped out. Not sure what those holes in the pickguard near the bridge mean.

So yeah, I'm saying partscaster.

• Members

American standard bridge. Pickups and neck are aftermarket. Neck plate is for an american standard micro tilt neck. A factory fender am standard neck has rounded corners on the base of the board. My warmoth aftermarket neck has the same squared off edges as the neck in the picture, but so do lots of other aftermarket necks. If you could pull the neck, we could guess who made it. Looks like it had a roland GK pickup mounted at one time. A headstock pic would also really help.

• Members

its not a fender. its a de lisle.its an older one because fender has their own custom shop now, but they are that only i know of that build strat copys with a fender plate back plate with that bridge and a squared off neck. it is technically a fender , but worth a hell of allot more

• Members

waaait so its GOOD? are the aftermarket parts better than the originals, or is this like a fixed-up kind of thing? It does look pretty old, come to think of it. And yeah I didn't include pictures of the headstock because theres nothing on it but here's one if it helps.

• Members

and yeah you're right its "spretzel" not "spengel" hahah apparently I can't read cursive

It's actually Sperzel.

Just based on the pics, I don't know how anybody could rule out that it's not just an American Fender body and a Warmoth neck.

If you can pop the neck off, and look at the bottom of the heel, most aftermarket companies will put their logo there. Warmoth's is a turtle.

• Members

partscaster...so its NOT good? I'm just trying to gauge how good this one is so I know how much to spend on one if I get my own. Because this one is awful at the moment...might have something to do with me playing it through a stereo, but I can hardly get any sound out of it (its connected through a KORG Pandora PX4, which is not bad, right?) It just sounds like someone bashing on open strings, which I like to think I'm not ;D

• Members

partscaster...so its NOT good? I'm just trying to gauge how good this one is so I know how much to spend on one if I get my own. Because this one is awful at the moment...might have something to do with me playing it through a stereo, but I can hardly get any sound out of it (its connected through a KORG Pandora PX4, which is not bad, right?) It just sounds like someone bashing on open strings, which I like to think I'm not ;D

Partcasters can be fine if the parts are good. This one seems to have fine parts, pickups and hardware.

You're playing through a stereo? :facepalm:

Yeah, I'd be willing to bet that's the main source of the problem, right there. Get a guitar amp.

Archived