Finally got a Dremel

Meowy

• Members

I got one of the model 4000 kits on sale at Home Depot and the cleaning and polishing set on the side.

My planned first use for it (tomorrow!) will be to polish out the finish on the maple fretbaord of a Warmoth neck I am completing for a Tele build. I figured its safe to use felt polishing wheels for my first Dremel task. Actually, I didn't realize the felt wheels are pretty small at .25". It will take a few passes for each fret, but it still beats hand buffing and can get right up against the fret wire.

Then maybe I will use it to buff out the fret wire, although, it is pretty straightforward with steel wool and elbow grease, but it is another excuse to use my new toy

So tell me how do you use a Dremel for your guitar hobby (or guitar work if that's your trade) ... or any other household / hobby uses for that matter?

• Members

Dougie - if you don't need a 'nice' dremel then you can pick up a lower quality equivalent from Aldi a couple of times a year for about a tenner. That includes grinding and polishing adaptors, routing bits for wood etc and a long flexidrive. I've used mine to clean up someone else's lousy pickup routing and polish frets.

• Members
Dougie - if you don't need a 'nice' dremel then you can pick up a lower quality equivalent from Aldi a couple of times a year for about a tenner. That includes grinding and polishing adaptors, routing bits for wood etc and a long flexidrive. I've used mine to clean up someone else's lousy pickup routing and polish frets.

Oh sweet - Cheers :)

Not sure where my closest Aldi is.. will have to go have a look :thu:

• Members

One thing about Dremel tools: Make sure you oil the threads where stuff attaches at the tip every once in a while and don't leave stuff attached to the tip. For some reason (and this has happened to me twice so it wasn't an isolated case) the attachments freeze onto the tip and you can't get them off no matter how hard you try. It's like they rust a bit and then they are welded on. I've also had a couple just plain die on me...you turn the thing on and it's just dead. It's Chinese stuff made with cheap metal. I use mine a lot for shaping guitar parts, routing for pickups and binding channels, drilling jack and tuner holes etc.

They're kind of disposable and cheaply made after a while..

• Members

One thing about Dremel tools: Make sure you oil the threads where stuff attaches at the tip every once in a while and don't leave stuff attached to the tip. For some reason (and this has happened to me twice so it wasn't an isolated case) the attachments freeze onto the tip and you can't get them off no matter how hard you try. It's like they rust a bit and then they are welded on. I've also had a couple just plain die on me...you turn the thing on and it's just dead. It's Chinese stuff made with cheap metal. I use mine a lot for shaping guitar parts, routing for pickups and binding channels, drilling jack and tuner holes etc.

They're kind of disposable and cheaply made after a while..

Im on my 7th or 8th now but I use them alot for work.

Cant live without it.

• Members

The Dremel tool rules! I have three of them right now...two of the hand held versions, one with the flex cable attachment and the "Big Boy" higher powered hanging model with the flex cable and the vari-speed foot pedal. I've been using them for about 30 years for everything from automotive work to polishing antique jewellery. Once you are used to the way it works and how to use it the Dremel can be a well controlled sledge hammer or a feather duster in the right hands...mind you it can also be an out of control wrecking ball in the wrong hands. YMMV:poke:

J.R.

• Members
Oh sweet - Cheers
:)

Not sure where my closest Aldi is.. will have to go have a look
:thu:

Homebase and B&Q do nice versions, too, for quite cheap. But yeah, the Aldi version is excellent for the money.

I use mine mainly for drilling small holes for machinehead screws and the like. Also for cleaning.

• Members

Be very, very careful polishing a maple fretboard with a Dremel. I would advise against this and make sure if you do try it to go at a very slow speed to start and work your way up - which I would be weary of doing.

• Members

Be very, very careful polishing a maple fretboard with a Dremel. I would advise against this and make sure if you do try it to go at a very slow speed to start and work your way up - which I would be weary of doing.

Yeah, I changed my mind on that. So now I am lloking for something to do with my new toy :poke:

Archived