Strat pickups

conway

• Members

I have a Fender Strat.. Came with Vintage hot pickups.. The Beck pickup. They have a nasally mid range sound about them. I don't like it..

I was considering installing Fat Fifties.. Any opinions...? 54's 69's? I only want to change them once so your help would be appreciated. Think Hendrix....

Guitar is Alder with Maple.

• Members

They are all different.

CS54s are very vintage sounding, but more laid back than the Fat 50s

CS69s are big and ballsy

Fat 50s are very vintage sounding and very bright

I like them in that order most to least. I don't hate the Hot Noiseless or Vintage Noiseless pickups in fact, I have a neck Vintage Noiseless in one strat that I really like, but they are a considerable step down in terms of pure tone.

My understanding is the 69s were basically reverse engineered from the neck and middle positions of Gilmour's black strat but when it came time to do the current Custom Shop Gilmour strat, he preferred the Fat 50s in the neck and had them tweak it a little bit. Never compared the Gilmour Fat 50s to the standard Fat 50s, but they both sound great in the neck position. Then I think he went with the standard 69 in the middle.

Like I said, they are all great in their different way. I personally don't care for the bridge position Fat 50s as it's just too bright.

• Members

If you can swing the $$$, I really like the Kinman Woodstock+ set. They have a nice midrange bump and, best of all, they're noiseless.

Someone will come along to recommend BG pickups, made by our Norcal_Gtr. I really liked the clean and distorted sounds from his V60's set: check out Atrox's latest Mason Giveaway Build thread or NewBuilder (?) and his NGD thread for clips.

• Members

Hmmm ... I have the same PUs in the Custom Shop edition of the JB sig Strat ... and neither I, nor anybody else I know who's heard/played this guitar, find(s) them 'nasally.'

What amp are you using, and how's your EQ? I'd seriously suggest checking what's happening at the other end of your cable.

My Strat sounds like THIS:
[YOUTUBE]fp-Fy2VchYY[/YOUTUBE]

And if you've absolutey GOT to swap PUs and you wanna stay noiseless, I strongly recommend Kinman's AVn Blues set.

• Members

Thanks for the opinions... I did end up buying a set of Chevaliers.. The 67's..

I almost went for the 59's... But I really want the Hedrix sound. The 67's seem to be spot on.. I'll get the 59's for another strat later on.... I'm told they most likely will take 10 days or more to get here we'll see....... Thanks again.

PS: Should I get the vintage wind or reverse middle?

• Members

Thanks for the opinions... I did end up buying a set of Chevaliers.. The 67's..

I almost went for the 59's... But I really want the Hedrix sound. The 67's seem to be spot on.. I'll get the 59's for another strat later on.... I'm told they most likely will take 10 days or more to get here we'll see....... Thanks again.

PS: Should I get the vintage wind or reverse middle?

Cool to hear that you went with Jeff's pickups. I'm a huge fan.

I actually asked Jeff about that - whether there was much of a sound difference between the vintage and RWRP. His opinion was there might be, but that it wouldn't be much.

I went RWRP and balanced output with my 1962s. They're the hottest of his winds, at about 6k, and sound really, really good.

My next Strat will be either a '59 or a '67, I think. Let me know how you like them once you solder them in!

Archived