Cheap Trick's "Sgt. Pepper Live"

HeatherAnnePeel

• Members

Cheap-Trick---Sgt.-Pepper-Live-Front-Cov

What an amazing CD! Cheap Trick (much like The Smithereens did with "Meet The Smithereens") have faithfully covered the 1967 Beatles classic, while putting their own stamp on it. Recorded in December 2007 at the Hollywood Bowl (the site of The Beatles only official live album "Live At The Hollywood Bowl", this ambitious outing finds Cheap Trick teaming with Beatles engineer, Geoff Emerick, and the New York Philharmonic Orchestra, and the results are stellar! The band nails the nuances of this classic album, and it's important to note that, as The Beatles stopped touring in 1966, they never had the opportunity to perform it live, themselves. This is a great album, and I'm stoked that the Tricksters will be headlining SXSW here in March!

• Members

I have the DVD. I think in general, they nailed it, only falling flat in one or two places.

High point for me, surprisingly, was "Within You Without You," featuring vocals by the guy who plays George in Beatlemania, and accompaniment by an Indian ensemble. Absolutely amazing sound, and that song never used to be my favorite on the album.

I also was pleasantly surprised by Joan Osborne's vocals on "Lovely Rita." I've never been a fan of hers, but she won me over.

The guy from Gomez sang "When I'm Sixty-Four," I think, and that was one of the low points.

But they knocked most of the rest of it out of the park. "Getting Better," "Good Morning Good Morning," and the encore "Golden Slumbers / Weight / The End" medley would each be worth the price.

All in all a great DVD, and a great consolation for my deciding to forego flying down to LA to see it live at the Hollywood Bowl last year.

Archived