What Guitars Should You Have In Your Arsenal?

carguy

• Members

There may have been threads about this in the past, but maybe not. I'm too lazy to do a search. But I've been gassing for another guitar, but I don't know what. What should every guitar player - hobbiest or pro - have in his arsenal. Electric and acoustic? 6 and 12 string? Strat and Tele? Oh, and please don't say one guitar is all you need. Get real. :D

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

That all depends. Do you play live, or in a band? Are you just an at-home hobbyist, or jam with friends? Do you do session work?

None of us *need* more than one guitar (unless you're a professional musician) but do we WANT more guitars? :wave::D

• Members

Well, I need.... My strat, acoustic, acoustic 12, a double, for electric 12, guitars with floyds, one for each tuning I play in, and backups, just in case something goes wrong when gigging. oh yeah, almost forgot, need a bass, and a Uke. That should mostly cover it :)

• Members

If I can only have one, it would be a strat with H/S/S.

If I can only have two, one would be a traditional S/S/S strat and the other would be something roughly LP-like with dual buckers.

If you ever play acoustic, throw that in there as well.

I'd suspect you could have a long, healthy career with one strat, one Paul and an acoustic. :thu:

• Members

Yep, AxAxSxS. I'm not quite as prolific but I'm definitely onboard with the 'one for each tuning I play in'. I have the two Strats (std and 1/2-down) and two Ibanez's (std and 1/2-down). Then an acoustic. In the past, this would have included a classical and/or acoustic-electric classical. I play or encounter songs with 12-string so infrequently that it would not be worth it for me - as lovely as they sound.

• Members

I think I could cover everything with just a few guitars... well a few hundred.

Honestly:

6 string acoustic

Solid body electric

These two will do almost everything a gig will require (unless your really good or experimental)

• Members

I think I nearly have everything I need (which doesn't necessarily mean I have everything I want) i.e.

Solid bodied electric: Ibanez Prestige RG2550Z - great for lots of styles believe it or not. Beautiful to play and pretty much covers everything except ...

Hollow bodied electric: Gretsch 5124 for when I need either that twangy (almost telecaster-ish) sound or that full warm jazzy sound. Actually stands in quite nicely for an acoustic too, except I don't need it to do that now that I have ...

Acoustic: Just recently bought my mahogany (solid top, back and sides) Tanglewood TW47B and I adore it. Plays like a dream, sounds like a dream.

• Members

HSS Strat

SSS Strat

Telecaster

Les Paul Standard

ES-335

Nylon-string classical guitar

Jazz box with pickup

6-string steel-string acoustic

12-string steel-string acoustic

Mustang (at least one guitar with a short scale length)

Baritone guitar

Partscaster/Frankenstrat

4 or 5 string bass

• Members

Probably overkill, but if we're talking "should" then:

Traditional-style Strat

Super Strat

Tele

Les Paul

Acoustic

Gee, I don't have any of those. I must not be a guitar player.

I sometimes wonder why a lot of the guitar music out there sounds so generic. Then, I realize, everyone's playing the same guitars, using the same pedals, through the same amps.

Archived