Xmas NGD - Xaviere XV610

symphonictank

• Members

What can I say? I have great women in my life. My wife, mother-in-law and sister-in-law went in on this (knowing I had been eyeballing this model since Jay put it on the site).

Xaviere XV610 thinline

Opened it up, packed perfectly and OMG - THAT RED IS AWESOME!

Anyway, played the grimey strings long enough to make sure everything worked, then cut 'em off, replaced the tuners and saddles (wife ordered the wilkinson locking tuners and stainless saddle upgrades for me too), and this is how it is going to stay (no more mods will be done).

xDSCF3152.jpg

This is the most unique tele I've ever heard or played. Satin finish neck is fast fast fast. It actually sounds a LOT like a tele - very twangy and growly - the Dream 180 pickups are part of the reason I wanted this model, and they are perfect - just enough kerrrrraaaannnggg in 'em.

I felt confident enough to play it in Church yesterday and I got a lot of comments and compliments on the guitar (looks and sound). I have never played a guitar that had a neck pickup that could cut through and sound this chimey - no darkness whatsoever - very chunky as well - close to "woman" tone, but with more sparkle. Unique.

It's heavier than I expected - very solid feeling, nothing cheap about it. Probably around 8lbs.

xv610-xmas1.jpg

I'm putting filterons on my LP as soon as I can afford them - I want it Gretsch'ified...LOL....

Last note - the case that came with this one is a significant upgrade from the last batch of cases (seems more solid than the one that came with my XV870 last year even though the construction is similar).

• Members

Congrats, man! That is a sweet looking guitar. How do you like the SS saddles?

They're great! I don't anticipate any string breaking issues with them. Didn't expect any appreciable tone/sustain increase and there isn't any.

The stock saddles are fine (and I'll use them on another project at some point), but the stainless saddles won't have the chrome flake/chip and start cutting strings on me 2-3 years from now...

Out of the box, this guitar was perfect (except for the grimey strings). I didn't even have to turn the truss rod after I re-strung it - it's dead on (the stock saddles were even radiused to the fretboard).

No flaws in the finish or around the F-hole (which seemed to be an issue with the batch of guits from early 2009).

• Members

Congrats!! She looks great!

BTW - I have that t shirt too!
:thu:

I love that shirt!

Frets: if not for your videos, I prolly wouldn't have taken the chance last year on my XV870 (with neovin power-rock set). I owe you a debt of gratitude for helping sway my decision enough to take a chance on Jay's stuff. Keep up the good (and honest) review work that you do here and on youtube.

I was supposed to get a webcam for Xmas so I could do some video reviews, but that didn't come through (which is fine, the guitar was a much better present!!).

I'll have to wait to see if the webcam shows up for my birthday next week...lol....

• Members

They're great! I don't anticipate any string breaking issues with them. Didn't expect any appreciable tone/sustain increase and there isn't any.

The stock saddles are fine (and I'll use them on another project at some point), but the stainless saddles won't have the chrome flake/chip and start cutting strings on me 2-3 years from now...

Out of the box, this guitar was perfect (except for the grimey strings). I didn't even have to turn the truss rod after I re-strung it - it's dead on (the stock saddles were even radiused to the fretboard).

No flaws in the finish or around the F-hole (which seemed to be an issue with the batch of guits from early 2009).

I think those s/s saddles for $12 are one of the best upgrades going. I have them on like five of my guitars, & they improved all of them. Beautiful axe!

I see that my GAS is already getting a head start on the New Year... :facepalm:

Archived