I am SO bummed about my new Agile . . .

etawful

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Gee what a surprise. This thread is about QA on a Agile and it becomes a bash Gibson thread.
:facepalm:

/fail

Actually, it became a bash Agile (or other cheap guitar) thread because again, when something goes wrong on a cheap guitar, immediately it's because 'you get what you pay for..........should have bought a Gibson' despite those same things happening on Gibson's (or other high end models).

• Members

Actually, it became a bash Agile (or other cheap guitar) thread because again, when something goes wrong on a cheap guitar, immediately it's because 'you get what you pay for..........should have bought a Gibson' despite those same things happening on Gibson's (or other high end models).

There's nothing wrong with Agile or other knock offs, it happens there's not a brand of guitar made which at one time or another has issues. At least in reference to mass production guitars. I think the guitar he has is worth taking to a luthier and having it worked on. Looks like a nice guitar. I own a Gibson R9 but I do not bash lower priced models or knock offs. Hell the Japanese make a LP which easily rivals any Gibson Custom Shop made, but you'll pay $6K for them too.

I kind of think of it like this.

I played a Gibson LP Studio. Hated it.

I played a Epi LP 59 Standard. Hated it.

I played a Gibson Standard Plus. Meh. Ugly binding imho.

I owned a Gibson LP Special. Meh.

I've played many knock offs over the years with varying appeal. Some good, some not so good.

I bought a R9 and won't look back. Best guitar purchase I have made in many years. Of course I didn't buy it new. $6K for it knew is obnoxiously overpriced.

• Members

i don't believe anyone is bashing gibson... if you want to overpay for something because of what the headstock says, by all means, be my guest. i never said that gibsons weren't great guitars, but they are no way in hell $1000's of dollars better that the competition...

People aren't buying Gibson because of a head stock. I can tell you that. Pick up one of the recent Custom Shop R series guitars and you'll see why people are buying them. But I'll say this, they aren't without their issues. One of my main gripes with my R9 was the electronics. I replaced the pots and caps and it is perfect now. But why the hell Gibson puts in cheap pots and fake PIO caps and wires it "Modern" is beyond me.

This is why I spent the $3K on mine.

• Members

Interesting, Wingding, I knew that spalting was basically rotting wood, but had never given much thought to people actually purposefully making it. Makes sense though if you don't want to take your chances on finding it in the woods.

It is really nice looking stuff. But a way for makers to get rid of less desirable maple too at times.

Let's say you are a maker and have flame maple that might not be what you want to use. Partial flame, interrupted flame or whatever. It would be a perfect candidate for spalting to make more desirable tops. I've seen other woods spalted as well.

That still isn't a bad thing. I don't find it cheapens the guitar in no way. I have never done any research on its tonal properties but I bet it may mellow the tone some. That too can be a good thing.

• Members

People aren't buying Gibson because of a head stock. I can tell you that. Pick up one of the recent Custom Shop R series guitars and you'll see why people are buying them. But I'll say this, they aren't without their issues. One of my main gripes with my R9 was the electronics. I replaced the pots and caps and it is perfect now. But why the hell Gibson puts in cheap pots and fake PIO caps and wires it "Modern" is beyond me.

that's a nice axe winding. i personally can't justify the money, nor do i believe i ever would. i could have something custom built for that...

• Members

that's a nice axe winding. i personally can't justify the money, nor do i believe i ever would. i could have something custom built for that...

I was always one who thought paying that much was crazy, until I had the cash and decided to pay that much. :D And I am crazy now, but man am I thankful for it. ;)

It really is an exceptional sounding and playing Lester. I've compared it with Epis and it just looks different side-by-side. Still an Epi or other LP knock off can be a nice guitar too as long as folks do some research first.

Oh, if you have someone build one using similar components they can cost an arm and a leg too. Somethings two arms and two legs. ;) I've seen some Clinics and other Luthier build LPs cost in the $10 range and up.

• Members

This is why I spent the $3K on mine.

That's a beautiful guitar :love: But FWIW, there are absolutely those who will buy a Gibson because it's a Gibson. Marketing speaks volumes. Consumers are trained to equate labels with value whether they want to admit or not. Some consumers are smart and also look at the great instruments that Gibson makes, and feel this is the best choice for them. They've done their research. Others just go to a music retailer and poo poo the thought of anything that's NOT Gibson made. It is what it is, and people will be people. :blah:

• Members

That's a beautiful guitar
:love:
But FWIW, there are absolutely those who will buy a Gibson because it's a Gibson. Marketing speaks volumes. Consumers are trained to equate labels with value whether they want to admit or not. Some consumers are smart and also look at the great instruments that Gibson makes, and feel this is the best choice for them. They've done their research. Others just go to a music retailer and poo poo the thought of anything that's NOT Gibson made. It is what it is, and people will be people.
:blah:

I imagine there is. But not me. I've owned two Gibsons prior to this R9 so I wasn't enamored with the name itself. Owned a S1 I bought new in 78 and a LPS I got used 4 years ago. The LPS was a POS and turned it in a few months.

I do think when you are getting in the $3K range, unless you are stupidly rich, it is more of a art thing. But I do have niggles with Gibson still. The electronics are not on part to the wood and construction. Heck they plek the necks and then they put crap pots in it. Weird to say the least. But it keeps businesses like RS Guitar works employed. :)

Oh saw your sig. "1965 Ampeg Rocket II" I use to own that same year and model. Fantastic Term. I like the hypnotic on/off effect real well.

• Members

I was always one who thought paying that much was crazy, until I had the cash and decided to pay that much.
:D
And I am crazy now, but man am I thankful for it.
;)

It really is an exceptional sounding and playing Lester. I've compared it with Epis and it just looks different side-by-side. Still an Epi or other LP knock off can be a nice guitar too as long as folks do some research first.

here's my LP copy

hotwheels054.jpg

all hand made, swamp ash body, maple top and necj, rosewood board, real mop inlays, BG Pure 90's, 500k audio taper pots, orange drop caps...

shes got some problems, but she works well for what i use her for, and the problems will be remedied eventually

• Members

here's my LP copy

hotwheels054.jpg

all hand made, swamp ash body, maple top and necj, rosewood board, real mop inlays, BG Pure 90's, 500k audio taper pots, orange drop caps...

shes got some problems, but she works well for what i use her for, and the problems will be remedied eventually

Looks nice. :thu: The P90s are good pups. :)

• Members
I imagine there is. But not me. I've owned two Gibsons prior to this R9 so I wasn't enamored with the name itself. Owned a S1 I bought new in 78 and a LPS I got used 4 years ago. The LPS was a POS and turned it in a few months.

I do think when you are getting in the $3K range, unless you are stupidly rich, it is more of a art thing. But I do have niggles with Gibson still. The electronics are not on part to the wood and construction. Heck they plek the necks and then they put crap pots in it. Weird to say the least. But it keeps businesses like RS Guitar works employed.
:)

Oh saw your sig. "1965 Ampeg Rocket II" I use to own that same year and model. Fantastic Term. I like the hypnotic on/off effect real well.

I hear you. I agree that there's some who just feel Gibson is the Better fit, and if the art of it is part of the reason too... I can dig it. I think many of us could jam to that after we see one in person. I had a 1982 Gibson xr-1 LP for a couple years.. Cool guitar, but not my bag. Then I fell in love with a Fender. Now I own an Agile that reminds me of all the good things I liked about my Gibson, with none of the bad. Good times keep on rollin. I'm surprised to hear about the Gibson Electronics though. Don't they use premium Bourns for Pots on those models? Oh, and thanks for the compliment on my amp. It's my #1 amp by miles. The tremolo is fun for that crimson and clover flavor, but I also enjoy playing that channel with just a hint of trem to give it that "spice". It's in spectacular condition for it's age too.. and all original except the leather handle. :thu:

• Members

I hear you. I agree that there's some who just feel Gibson is the Better fit, and if the art of it is part of the reason too... I can dig it. I think many of us could jam to that after we see one in person. I had a 1982 Gibson xr-1 LP for a couple years.. Cool guitar, but not my bag. Then I fell in love with a Fender. Now I own an Agile that reminds me of all the good things I liked about my Gibson, with none of the bad. Good times keep on rollin. I'm surprised to hear about the Gibson Electronics though. Don't they use premium Bourns for Pots on those models? Oh, and thanks for the compliment on my amp. It's my #1 amp by miles. The tremolo is fun for that crimson and clover flavor, but I also enjoy playing that channel with just a hint of trem to give it that "spice". It's in spectacular condition for it's age too.. and all original except the leather handle.
:thu:

I have played some of the higher end non-Custom shop Gibsons and wasn't all that impressed. When you are talking Gibson it is only worth talking their Custom shop guitars. Those are rather sweet for sure.

Check out the selection at Wildwood guitars.

The Reissues use CTS but they have the crappiest tapers I've ever seen and many say the same thing. You can turn the knob all the way to 4 before it starts backing off well then around 3 it turns off. Really bad pots. The Bumblebee caps are fakes, not reproductions, fakes. They are Mylar caps with Bumblebee wrapper. RS uses the Luxe cap in their vintage kits and "tweaked audio" CTS pots. They do a good job of kicking out bad pots and only selling good ones. Some folks are happy with what comes stock. I wasn't.

RS New Pre-Wired 57-60 repro harness

• Members

That LP copy has a HUGE problem!! the truss rod cover is backwards - send it to me and I'll send you a replace 20' guitar chord for your troubles!!:poke:

here's my LP copy

hotwheels054.jpg

Archived