How do you strip thin wires like the ones for guitar wiring

wkrantz7

• Members

I been having serious trouble stripping the wires like the ones for pickups and for guitar guts. I have one of those regular strippers (heh) that kinda look like pliers. I'll try to gently cut just the rubber outer portion of the wire but it's very tough to not cut any of the steel wiring inside. I know there are strippers that have different gauges but I could not find any one small enough for guitar wiring at Radio Shack. I damn near made my pickups unusable cutting them so short after try after try so what do you guys do?

• Members

I guess it depends how desperate you are. When I was real you and desperate, I used my teeth, scissors, or a knife. Now that I am older I have a acquired a few of those things called tools. I have a fixed gauge stripper specifically for 22 and 24 gauge wire. It works like a charm every time. You place the wire in a "v" and the other end loops over your finger. Just pull, not the finger, and it is stripped. They also make them with a cutter for using a wire wrap terminal block. I think they are a couple of bucks and made by Jensen.

• Members

The strippers that look like pliers usually have a scissors-like wire cutter at the base of the jaws. I use that for the wires smaller than the smallest-gauge hole of the strippers. (Or just use a pair of scissors.)

Just grip the wire so that the scissors barely score the insulation without cutting through the whole wire, yank on the wire, and presto - the end of the insulation comes right off.

• Members

I use a utility knife as well. As long as you use proper technique and a light touch you shouldn't cut through any wire strands or your finger. Once I have the insulation cut I just pull off the excess using the knife. If I'm struggling I use needle nose pliers. No need to use your teeth. Ecch.

• Members

There just don't seem to be many strippers that handle small, soft, multi-strand wire very well. I generally use an X-acto blade, but I've been doing it a long time and I guess it's kind of an acquired skill.

I usually lay the wire more or less on my left index finger, and then use my right hand to sort of roll the blade over the wire where I want it stripped. Obviously you don't use much pressure or your finger will pay the price. Like someone already said, just enough pressure to score the insulation, and then you can usually pull it off.

You might try substituting a piece of mat board or something similar in place of the finger, and then let the blade roll the wire until you're got a score line all around. It just takes a while to develop a "feel" for how hard you can press without nicking the wire.

• Members

I'll burn it off with a soldering iron (the flux in the solder usually gets rid of any residue from the burned insulation).

+1 on this. It's what I do and it works great. Doesn't take much to make a small 'nick' where you can then pull the covering off.

• Members

I've always used a sharp knife. Never thought of burning off the plastic. It doesn't leave some residue, that keeps you from being able to solder it? I always cut through a few strands, so I'm anxious to try this out.

I don't burn it off. I just heat the insulation for a second and pull the softened plastic off with my fingers.

Archived