Hey EG, can you guys recommend pups for an R9 LP?

jnurp

• Members

Maybe try the SD '59's. But they were probably modeled after the pickups that are already in your guitar that you don't like.

Not trying to be an asshole, but why did you spend all that money on an R9 if you didn't like the way it sounded?

i never played it, i bought it on a whim. I LOVE the guitar, just hate the stock pups. ITs not really a huge issue as that can be changed! Its an amazing guitar otherwise.

• Moderators

I have an R9 LP and the stock pups are rubbish to my ears. I want some vintagey style pups for classic rock type tones.

The stock pups on an R9 are anything but rubbishy, are you sure they are the stock pups and someones not removed and flipped em?

If not, you should consider adjusting the heights.

My suggestion is to set both pups at just below the heights of the pickup rings and then start from there.

They should sound real sweet and quiet down at that height

• Members

Check out the lespaul forum for boutique suggestions.

They seem to like things like wolfbuckers, timbuckers, sheptones, bare knuckles etc.

Or you could try some real PAFs!

I really like the 57 classics in my 68 ri but your milage may vary

+ what Ratae said! You could also adjust the pole peices. Once I got my p'ups adjusted to a height I liked, I had to knock a couple of the higher string poles down on the neck p'up to equalise the output

• Moderators

Maybe try the SD '59's. ?

SD 59s are not really up to the BBs on that R9, which is what they should be.

The only SD pups worth putting on that guitar would be Al IIs, Seth Lovers or SD Antiquities

Myself? I'd be calling Bryan Gunsher at BG Pups and tell him the sound in your head....he's still for me wound the nicest set of buckers I've ever heard

Archived