Which GFS Pickups for an SG?

Thinkarogadum

• Members

I've been scavenging the forums for some answers, but I don't really know which decision to make. I'm sick of the stock pickups in my Epi G400. I've fiddled with them all I could (changing heights, changing cap values) and I think it's time for a replacement. I want to keep the price down, so I'm going GFS. I just don't know which set to buy. At first I figured a set of Mean 90's would be the best, but I'm concerned that they'd be too middy in the all-mahogany SG, so now I'm looking at humbuckers too. I just want a solid, clear, vintage tone out of this thing. What would you guys recommend?

• Members

I have one of the faded type g400's with a mean 90 in the neck and an alnico 2 "Classic II" in the bridge. The Classic II sounds very clear, vintagey low output- very classic rock. The mean 90 sounds louder, lots of bass and mids- good highs for being in neck position. I am thinking about pulling the mean 90 for another Classic II in the neck position just for better balance between pickups.

• Members

I have one of the faded type g400's with a mean 90 in the neck and an alnico 2 "Classic II" in the bridge. The Classic II sounds very clear, vintagey low output- very classic rock. The mean 90 sounds louder, lots of bass and mids- good highs for being in neck position. I am thinking about pulling the mean 90 for another Classic II in the neck position just for better balance between pickups.

I figured the Mean 90 would have a lot of bass and mids, which I already have a lot of in the guitar itself.

• Members

I haven't tried them, but I'd love some classic II's in that type of guitar.

They seem to be GFS's most balanced pickup (from what I understand) - the others having that "big GFS low end" thing going on.

Good luck finding your sound ;)

• Members

I figured the Mean 90 would have a lot of bass and mids, which I already have a lot of in the guitar itself.

I tried a mean 90 bridge pup for a while and found it to be very bright.

if you just want classic paf sounds, try this. http://store.guitarfetish.com/v59niclalpah.html sounsd about right. paf with a bit of extra spice, (8.5 - 8.8k bridge) which should cover all the bases.

• Members

if you just want classic paf sounds, try this.
sounsd about right. paf with a bit of extra spice, which should cover all the bases.

I agree with this sentiment... I have a Mean 90 in the bridge of my Sheena & it cuts like a freakin' LASER! VERY bright.

While I haven't tried the "Vintage 59", here's my take on some of their other offerings that I've used:

I get very refined, balanced tones from the Dream-180's in my LP. I find it great for clean sounds, but just OK with dirt.

I also have a Crunchy PAT in my flying V. GREAT classic rock tones, but it's kind of a one-trick pony.

Finally, I put a VEH in the bridge of my Mockingbird Masterpiece & absolutely LOVE it. it's clear and articulate, sounds great with dirt, & cleans up nicely.

• Members

I have the GFS Alnico II Classics in this guitar. I personally really like them, but they are pretty low output. I think mine are the lowest output humbuckers I've ever owned. They are lower output than my 57 Classics, Seth Lovers or Dimarzio Bluesbuckers.

This LP is all mahogany, no maple. I have the 57 Classics in an Ibanez Double Cut LP type guitar, mahogany body and a bolt on maple neck. All new pots and caps in both guitars. The 57 Classics are definitely a brighter. Not harsh at all, but definitely brighter. The Seth Lovers are noticeably brighter than the GFS set.

Never heard the GFS 59s though I've had the Duncan 59s in a couple guitars. I'd suggest if you want something vintage-ish sounding, but a little hotter and a little brighter, maybe try the 59s but again, I've never heard the GFS 59s.

I wasn't impressed at all with the Fat PATs or the Crunchy PATs.

DSC_3239a1.jpg

• Members

Have you tried adjusting the pickup heights?

• Members

Tonerider Alnico IVs. As good as the $$ Wolfetone Dr Vs that replaced 'em in my SG.

Want 'em?? PM me. I'll even throw in a pair of Paper in oil capacitors for your tone controls.

I'd grab those if I had ANYTHING to put them in. I still haven't installed my BG Pure 90s because I don't have any non-upgraded HB guitar.

:cry:

outtahear is a good guy, guys. I've bought a few items from him. Buy with confidence.

• Members

if you just want classic paf sounds, try this.
sounsd about right. paf with a bit of extra spice, (8.5 - 8.8k bridge) which should cover all the bases.

Right now I'm thinking either the Vintage '59 or the Alnico Classic II. I want this guitar to sound like a classic SG should sound.

• Members

I've put a set of Mean 90s in a Faded SG with the standard Gibby 300K pots and they sounded great. Thy were very similar to the P-90s in the Faded DC LP Special I had at the same time. The Mean 90s in the SG were a hair darker than the P-90s in the DC LP Special, but that's about it.

I've also tried Mean 90s in a Faded Flying V with a set of 500K pots, and they would really scream in that guitar. Currently, I have a Mean 90 in the bridge position of a MIM Strat with a HWY 1 HSS pg/pups in it and it complements the Fender SC tone very nicely.

• Members

I'd grab those if I had ANYTHING to put them in. I still haven't installed my BG Pure 90s because I don't have any non-upgraded HB guitar.

:cry:

outtahear is a good guy, guys. I've bought a few items from him. Buy with confidence.

That's a cryin' shame! You must find something to put those in. Bryan's p90s are amazing. :love: i have his h90s and I love em.

:whisper: OP, I hear there's an unused set of pure 90s. Make him an offer. ;)

Archived