Check out this fiddle my brother gave me

theManfromAlabam

• Members

Off topic:

My brother is a garbage man for a "very" wealthy Chicago area neighborhood/town...he alway comes across the coolest {censored}...it's amazing what these people throw out...I'm hoping someday he will find a 63 strat.

Back off topic: The violin is a 1904 American made "Andrew W. Hyde" 4/4, the bow is made in Germany...the bow needs to be re-haired and the violin needs new strings...other than that it's ready to be played.

It's probably not worth anything so I'm going to fiddle with it.

Anyway I think it's cool just to look at.

100_0269.jpg

100_0270.jpg

• Members

Uhm...

I dont know about it being worth nothing.

That violin looks pretty good just based on the limited pics. I play violin/fiddle, have done a bit of dabbling into the value of older fiddles.

You do NOT have a multimillon dollar strad there, but there is some seriously nice looking figure in that wood, looks like quality craftmanship, if there are no issues with the fiddle, soundboard cracks, neck misalignments, twists, etc, string that bitch up and see what it sounds like.

alot of the value in these older 100 year or so instruments obviously come frrom the maker, I dont know this brand, could look it up but I am too lazy, alot of the value comes from the name of the maker, secondly, would be country and city of origin, and when you are dealing wioth instruments from lesser known and lesser collectable makers, aloyt of the value simply comes from the purity and beauty of the tone.

Like I said, string this thing up and see what it sounds like. Better yet, let someone with alot of playing/listening experience tell you what they think of the tone.

Many Players will buy a fiddle at prices ranging from 500.00 to 5000.00+ dollars just based on tone alone, even if it is a no name or little known and non collectable maker, as long as quality parts and construction was used and not just cheap low grade construction materials and methods were used which they DID use back then.

And you guys are right.

A nice pernumbucco bow that isnt 'sprung" is straight, and needs no, or minor repairs, could be worth several hundred to several thousand dollars.

A bow is sprung when it doesnt have the proper back bow in it when the tention is off the hairs.

It should have both ends tip/frog touching a flat surface, and the middle of the bow should also be touching the flat surface when loose. Set it on a table, hair facing the table and check this.

If it is completely loose and the canter of the bow does not touch the table when the thing is flat, then the bow still may work O.K.( the less spring the worse off it is), but the value will be significantly reduced if it is sprung.

Awesome score.

Yes, that is a great looking violin. Nice figure in the neck and the back is beautiful.

• Members

Uhm...

I dont know about it being worth nothing.

That violin looks pretty good just based on the limited pics. I play violin/fiddle, have done a bit of dabbling into the value of older fiddles.

You do NOT have a multimillon dollar strad there, but there is some seriously nice looking figure in that wood, looks like quality craftmanship, if there are no issues with the fiddle, soundboard cracks, neck misalignments, twists, etc, string that bitch up and see what it sounds like.

alot of the value in these older 100 year or so instruments obviously come frrom the maker, I dont know this brand, could look it up but I am too lazy, alot of the value comes from the name of the maker, secondly, would be country and city of origin, and when you are dealing wioth instruments from lesser known and lesser collectable makers, aloyt of the value simply comes from the purity and beauty of the tone.

Like I said, string this thing up and see what it sounds like. Better yet, let someone with alot of playing/listening experience tell you what they think of the tone.

Many Players will buy a fiddle at prices ranging from 500.00 to 5000.00+ dollars just based on tone alone, even if it is a no name or little known and non collectable maker, as long as quality parts and construction was used and not just cheap low grade construction materials and methods were used which they DID use back then.

Awesome score.

Yes, that is a great looking violin. Nice figure in the neck and the back is beautiful.

The neck looks to be straight, the fingerboard has some wear...no cracks.

I should probably have it appraised

Thank you

• Members

Send John Importuno an email.

he would probably give you a ball park guess without actually touching it.

He knows fiddles more than anyone I know. He services Joshua Bell's violin when he is in town.

He knows every brand aqnd maker like a walking encyclopedia. Im sure he could tell you alot about this particu;ar violin maker. Tell him your brother found it in the garbage. He will get a kick out of it.

http://www.importunoviolins.com/

• Members

Gee, that's incredible!

About new strings: don't put cheap strings on it! You wouldn't believe what the difference it makes to buy at least decent strings (like Thomastik Dominant). Much more so than with guitars. Also, if it has not been played a long time, the first sound you'll get from it won't really tell you how it will sound once it opens up again or is "reactivated". The bow having no hair is no reason to throw it (you know that already but that was my thought when I first read your post). Flori, a member here, is an outstanding violin/viola player and is very knowledgeable. You could PM him for some ideas and advices.

• Members

He knows fiddles more than anyone I know. He services Joshua Bell's violin when he is in town.

He knows every brand aqnd maker like a walking encyclopedia. Im sure he could tell you alot about this particu;ar violin maker. Tell him your brother found it in the garbage. He will get a kick out of it.

http://www.importunoviolins.com/

Will do

And thanks again :)

• Members

Dave, i checked the link and those Importuno violins are stunning! I never thought such colors would actually look so good an a violin. wow, beautiful.

• Members

your brother work in the gold coast?

That's a pretty good guess, but unless things have changed since I was last there he could be talking about one of the 'burbs. They have some folks out there that are just stupid rich. Mount Prospect, Schaumberg, out that way ...

Archived