Help with Gibson Les Paul Studio Electronics

ffud

• Members

I am having a really annoying problem with my Gibson Les Paul Studio. Something got messed up in the wiring or a pup because it randomly cuts in and out. This isn't and all on/no sound sort of cutting in and out, but more like a all on/volume knob set to 1 cut. I am handy with a soldering iron and have done work on guitars before, so if someone can help me diagnose this I think I should be able to fix it.

Because it's not 100% on or off, it doesn't sound like an output jack problem, and I check that and the solder joints looked solid. I thought it might be the pup selector switch because it occurred more often with the neck pup, but that looked okay to me too, and the problem also exists when using the bridge pick up.

Any ideas what the problem could be?

Thanks.

• Members

it's only a year old, I've been having the problem for the last few months, and no its over at my bands practice space so I cant take a picture right now.

I checked the cavity a couple weeks ago and there wasn't anything I could tell was obviously wrong. Do you have suggestions of what I should look for?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

dude peter!! this totally happened with my les paul too!! it got to the point where the bridge pickup worked fine, the neck pickup would barely register and with both on it would cut in and out. it was like that for a couple months then it just kind of worked it self out and now everythings back to normal.

• Members

it might acturaly have been a combonation of amp and guitar. I opened up the controll cavity, and the sickups, switch, and output jack are all pluged into a circuit board that the knobs are mounted on. I unpluged them, blew on them a bit (like an old unresponsive n64) and I haven't had a problem with the guitar since, there was probably a bit of dust in there or something.

might wanna give that a try if your problem comes back.

and cool, I was wondering what ur user name is. now I know.

Archived