Sign in to follow this  
pickinatit

FENDER AERODYNE STRATOCASTER: Good Guitar?

I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on one of these:

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Aerodyne-Classic-Stratocaster?sku=512764&src=3WFRWXX&ZYXSEM=0&CAWELAID=28463543

I've read the reviews (mostly favorable it seems), but I don't always like to trust them. I mean, people may be writing a review to either :

1) Justify the money they spent to get one

2) Be ranting because they happened to get a lemon

Any of you guys own one or have played one? I don't think they have any of the Aerodyne model at my local GC's or S.Ashe stores. I'm going to try to check that out myself in the next couple days. I want to try to play one before I buy, of course, but I'm interested in a "long term" opinion of someone that's had one for a while if possible.

Never been fond of them, think because the basswood is so non-stratish tonewood....all in mids, no proper quack :idk:

Build quality, pups, parts - no complains. Try one, maybe it'll suit you

Find a guitar that has the same neck radius (7.25") and nut width (42mm) and see how it feels.

That's an excellent suggestion; I would have never thought of that.

That should answer "playability" questions, somewhat.

Never been fond of them, think because the basswood is so non-stratish tonewood....all in mids, no proper quack
:idk:

Build quality, pups, parts - no complains. Try one, maybe it'll suit you

So, you're saying it doesn't really sound like a Fender strat. in the traditional sense? Despite the "standard Strat. pick-ups ? The basswood body makes that big a difference, huh? That's food for thought.

i think most people put way too much emphasis on wood personally... on a side note, you could get a TTM Slayer for a lot less and have your choice of alder or ash and your choice of maple, rosewood, or ebony board. not to mention about any color of flame maple you can think of... just a thought...

There's forum member who has posted pictures of a red one which I think looks just gorgeous. I haven't played one, but I would guess it would play pretty much like a regular strat because, well it is actually a strat and it has regular strat pickups. The whole basswood versus alder or ash issue is way overblown IMO. I own several basswood guitars as well as MIA Fenders. There are probably people who can tell the difference and give a shit. I'm not one of them.

Unless the different guitars are plugged into the same effects & amp set to the users personal prefence, I don't think that the wood the guitars are made out of would have much of an impact on the tone differences.

Most people will blame the effects & amp for shitty tone over the wood the guitar is made out of.

I had a red one- looks incredible, plays decent, frets were better than mim but not quite as good as i would have liked- plays like a vintage radius strat basically- the lack of arm contour gives a different feel- can't say it sounded astoundingly different. I think I paid like 489 used or something like that and mine was 9/10 condition. Look around before you pay full price.

I had an Aerodyne Tele. Nice guitar. My only gripe was that the neck pocket had a pretty sizable gap on the bass side, but I liked the tone and general playability.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Fender-American-Special-Stratocaster-HSS-Electric-Guitr_W0QQitemZ320471568167QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar?hash=item4a9d980f27

sorry i sold mine but this is the one i would get.

another one i sold
:facepalm:

That's a nice guitar. Fact is though, I have been gassing for the Aerodyne for a while now, but I want the Fender Strat. sound. That's kind of why I'm asking about the sound of the Aerodyne vs. the sound of an American Strat.

think there is a black one for sale on the EG for sale forum

not mine.....

you could check that one out and maybe ask him some questions

Owner of Aerodyne Strat and Tele here. Both are nice guitars with their own "Aerodyne" thing going on. Personally I like the radiused tops.

My Strat was the non-pickguard version. Because the pups are mounted to the body it has a slightly different tone than a traditional Strat. Not better or worse, just a bit different. Since the one you're looking at has the pickups mounted to the pickguard, you should get a more traditional Strat tone [all other things being equal] regardless of what the body is made of. IMHO all a Strat body does is hold the bits and pieces together so it can be just about any type of wood and it won't effect the sound in any real way.

I ended up trading the Strat straight across for a new Hagstrom Viking - not because I didn't like it, but because I wanted a 335-style and, at the end of the day, I liked the Aeorodyne Tele a bit more than the Strat. Still miss it though and would like to get another at some point.

Binding on a strat body just seems to go against nature. Strats are to be curvy.

The Aerodyne has a Radius/contoured body instead of the edges.:love:

Besides, I like it because it doesn't look like the same old, same old strat. that everybody and his brother has.:)

http://cgi.ebay.com/Fender-American-Special-Stratocaster-HSS-Electric-Guitr_W0QQitemZ320471568167QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar?hash=item4a9d980f27

sorry i sold mine but this is the one i would get.

another one i sold
:facepalm:

Wow, auction ended at $960. I guess that's a really great price for that guitar, but it's more then I can pay right now. I'm looking at used Aerodynes in the $ 450 to $700 range (depending on age, condition, etc.).

Hi,

I recently became a proud owner of this Aerodyne Strat and am happy to

pass on my thoughts.....

Collages3.jpg

Fit and finish are exemplary on this one at least....a nicely figured maple top (PRS would charge the earth for something similar!) and the best feeling neck I have ever held. Fretwork spot on and I can't say the radius has been an issue at all)

I wasn't so sure about the aesthetics of the binding at first....now I can't imagine it without. The subtle carve of the top and traditional strat tummy-tuck make it extremely light and comfortable...look how slim and curvy the profile is?

Pickups are standard issue as far as I am aware...although the guitar is assembled in Japan. They make a very tight controlled and definately 'stratty' sound.....maybe a little more mellow on some pup positions.

DSCF1389.jpg

The basswood seems more highly figured and characterful than most 'basswood' guitars appear-perhaps it is a different grade or type?

I'm trying to be objective here and point out the faults...but for me there simply AREN'T any that I can see!....It is quite simply my bestest guitar and for just

it looks nice. I like strats because they are sort of utilitarian. You can take them apart and paint them with a rattle can if you want. When they get too pretty, I lose interest. This one above looks great, though. If you buy guitars for looks. I don't. I actually prefer the ones that look like shit. But empirically, that one is a good looking guitar.

I think it's BS that it won't sound like a strat because of the basswood. Plywood strats sound like strats. The difference from wood is negligible. The difference between this guitar and a standard strat primarily look and feel.

Yup....I have to admit that the 'pretty' looks are what made me pick it up in the first place!......Luckily it had the sound and playability to match and at the price was a no-brainer for me at least.

It certainly doesn't really cut the mustard as a well worn utility strat......it's a bit of a tart! :rolleyes:

DSCF1391.jpg

The basswood seems more highly figured and characterful than most 'basswood' guitars appear-perhaps it is a different grade or type?

!

thats `cause they aren`t basswood...they`re listed in my FJ catalogs as alder. The first run all black versions were basswood, the later models with the maple tops were not. They came stock wit DiMarzio heavy Drive p`ups and listed as 2 piece bodies...no big deal to some but generally if an FJ is not listed as 2 pieces it isn`t...as usual there are always exceptions...they say it has a laminated top but don`t say if it`s a veneer or a cap...seen lots in shops but never took one apart. Sure look beautiful to me but I`m not ready to pay their retail price for a new one and haven`t seen any used so I don`t own one yet. I`ve seen em in red, blue, natural and black, no longer listed in the 2010 catalog nor are the top ends from the DiMarzio series. I`d love to have one and if I see a used one at a good price I will, people in this Japanese city don`t give Fender Japan nearly as much respect as they get overseas so chances are a used one will be pretty cheap.

A local store had a red one and a blue one and I"m sorry I didn't pick up either one.

I thought they were very good values for the money but if I wanted to get myself a strat I think I'd get one of these.