Pacifica 904 just sold on E-bay for $811. Good deal?

Jkater

• Members

Warmoth made them for Yamaha? (in other words, that's the stock neck, right?)

Warmoth and Yamaha had a friendly relationship for the top end US/Japan Pacificas (USA I, USA II, PAC904). Finishing and fretwork is all Yamaha, though.

• Members

I have one and I have put a ton of mileage on it, judging by the frets (how did THAT happen?)

It does play like a dream, nice hand filling profile, and really easy to transition to after my LP. I tune it about once a week, and it's a Strat that sustains like an organ.

• Members

I have a few questions about the Pacific as I need to replace my Mexican Strat due to some cracking and found a few of the guitars on Ebay for a good price. So quality versus a Fender Mexican Strat are they comparable?, how is the hardware and build quality, here are 2 that I was looking at:

http://cgi.ebay.com/YAMAHA-PACIFICA-112V-w-HARDSHELL-CASE_W0QQitemZ370297980220QQcategoryZ2384QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp4340.m263QQ_trkparmsZalgo%3DSIC%26its%3DI%252BC%26itu%3DUCI%252BIA%252BUA%252BFICS%252BUFI%252BDDSIC%26otn%3D10%26ps%3D63

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Yamaha-strat-copy-Pacifica-model-electric-guitar_W0QQitemZ140373912396QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar?hash=item20aeefeb4c

what do you think of these, thanks.

• Members

I have a few questions about the Pacific as I need to replace my Mexican Strat due to some cracking and found a few of the guitars on Ebay for a good price. So quality versus a Fender Mexican Strat are they comparable?, how is the hardware and build quality, here are 2 that I was looking at:

what do you think of these, thanks.

The first one (112V) is a good beginner guitar, almost mid-range. But no need to go to ebay for that one. I'd stay away from the second one. Looks like a 012 to me and at $165, that is no bargain at all and certainly not rare (the seller is full of beans).

The name "Pacifica" is usually associated with those lower end, "good-for-the-money" guitars but they range from that all the way up to super fancy custom shop neck-through worth a couple thousands. the 904 belongs to the top end stuff in spite of a price comparable to a run-of-the-mill american standard strat.

• Members

$811 is higher than I would go, but if I saw one sitting at $300, I would definitely hit it.

Not to say it's not worth $811.

dave, did you have a chance to play a 904? Just wondering (and not to invalidate your comment, on the contrary). Those are so far from the usual Pacifica in feel and craftmanship but the rarity of them means very few know what they're about. That explain Harold's bad luck of losing his for a mere $300.

My guess is that the winning bid is from someone who had hands-on experience with the 904 and knew that he was getting something special. Though the Warmoth neck gets the attention, it's the body that i find particularily good and resonnant as well as stunnigly beautiful.

• Members

Oh, I know they're nice - wasn't trying to imply anything otherwise.

I'm just a cheap bastard and know that it would be a steal at $300, but I did acknowledge that it is worth at least the $811.

I have three Yamaha's (two pacifica's - 521, 921). I know they're great guitars, and I think that word is out on them. It's getting harder to find the bargains.

• Members

Oh, I know they're nice - wasn't trying to imply anything otherwise.

I'm just a cheap bastard and know that it would be a steal at $300, but I did acknowledge that it is worth at least the $811.

I have three Yamaha's (two pacifica's - 521, 921). I know they're great guitars, and I think that word is out on them. It's getting harder to find the bargains.

I did remember that you had high end Pacificas and yours are also less common (I don't remember hearing about a 521 before). Thus I wondered if you had tried the 904. the "9" normally refers to how high it is in the food chain. Any pic of yours?

Also wondering: one forumite had a Pacifica finished in "chrome" for lack of a better word. Was it you?

• Members

Warmoth and Yamaha had a friendly relationship for the top end US/Japan Pacificas (USA I, USA II, PAC904).

I think only the 904 had the Warmoth logo on the back of the headstock because my USA 1 doesn't have it.

But whoever won that guitar is a lucky person. :thu:

• Members

My PAC 921 has a Warmouth neck, but no logo (at least not on the back of the headstock)

The PAC 112V's are pretty nice, but $300 is a bit steep, IMO.

The cheaper Pacs are still pretty decent guitars, their stock pups sounds pretty good, they just need new tuners ASAP.

Just drives me nuts to see the junk tuners that are put on beginner guitars. I know it is a "price point" thing, but I always imagine all the kids that want to learn to play properly but get so frustrated owning a starter guitar that won't stay in tune, they give up & go play video games instead.:mad:

Also look around for used SE series Yamahas. I got this SE700HE on fleabay for $75, and it's boxful of TONEZ!

SE700-03.jpg

• Members

No pics right now. Mine had some nicks. I've sanded it down and filled in the nicks and dents and I'm trying to figure out what color I want to go with.

It was Crimson Red, like the one from the catalogue.

Thinking more like the Charvel Slime Green, though.

pac921_small.jpg

• Members

I disagree. My 112M ALWAYS stays in tune. For "cheap" tuners they are wonderful.

I don't consider the 112s as being "cheap". I meant more like the PAC 012,s EC112, 303s, the ones that usually come in the "starter packs.

The ones on the PAC 012 I bought via CL's tuners literally bent & broke off at one point. Set of Grovers fixed that right up. :thu:

Archived