anyone heard of Phil guitars(PRS copy content)

diceman1000

• Members

Never played one I liked.

They copy most of the major styles but have serious quality issues. They are sold in a few stores in Mexico and priced right at Squier level but waaaaayyy beneath Squier quality. For some reason I thought they were made in Brazil.

• Members

I've had the opportunity to play a few PRS models. I know PRS could be made cheaper, I just don't know how they could be made better. They turn out some of the highest quality production guitars made and the custom stuff comes from another planet. If I could afford more than an SE, I'd wear the snorkel dick label with pride.

• Members

I've had the opportunity to play a few PRS models. I know PRS could be made cheaper, I just don't know how they could be made better. They turn out some of the highest quality production guitars made and the custom stuff comes from another planet. If I could afford more than an SE, I'd wear the snorkel dick label with pride.

I do now!!

Seriously - have you heard of the Land amps? they go along with the Phil guitars - LandPhil!

Doh!

• Members

All of you are WRONG!

I own a similar model, but with a Wilkinson knockoff trem.

I came across mine on consignment, and liked the way it played. It has since become a fun modding platform.

Bbreaker actually helped me out with finding a bit more on this brand. But the company is either now defunct, or no website. So...

Since your model is similar to mine, I'd say hardwood body and rosewood board. Plastic inlays. I actually like the neck profile on mine...

But here's the pics:

123.jpg

122.jpg

121.jpg

120.jpg

She's been through hell and high water, and some sketchy gigs to boot. Don't listen to the guys who don't know what they're talking about. They're solid gigging machines.

• Members

Those pickup mounting screws looks as though they are sitting a bit "proud" from the surface of the pickup. Like they might catch on your hand. (trick of the light?)

IMG_0006-58.jpg

I prefer my Asian guitars without "MSG" (yeah, it's a cheap-shot, but it's all I got).

• Members

I own a similar model, but with a Wilkinson knockoff trem.

I came across mine on consignment, and liked the way it played. It has since become a fun modding platform.

Bbreaker actually helped me out with finding a bit more on this brand. But the company is either now defunct, or no website. So...

Since your model is similar to mine, I'd say hardwood body and rosewood board. Plastic inlays. I actually like the neck profile on mine...

But here's the pics:

123.jpg

122.jpg

121.jpg

120.jpg

She's been through hell and high water, and some sketchy gigs to boot. Don't listen to the guys who don't know what they're talking about. They're solid gigging machines

I opened a store in a shopping mall next door to a music stores. They sell nice pianos, some Fender and usually have a few nice amps. Along with that, they carried these Phil models. The store is called Sala Chopin.

It took about three months all in all for me to open that store so I'd walk into the music store every day and got friendly with the manager.

I tried a few dozen of those Phil, in all the different models they offered and I have to admit this was at the height of my GAS and modding period. Every one I tried was a complete and total POS. Truly some of the worst guitars I've ever played. Not even in my wildest modding fantasies did I even consider buying one to upgrade.

Either I'm too picky or you must have found the only good Phil guitar on the planet, Either way, I don't think I'll ever trust another recommendation here on HC.

• Members

Instead of asking about PRS copies you run across on google every other week, why not save up for an SE or something?

because saving is not an option at this point. trading is however, but i don't believe that anybody is going to trade me an actual PRS straight up for my TTM. furthermore, if my asking about PRS copies bothers you, don't read my threads...

• Members

because saving is not an option at this point. trading is however, but i don't believe that anybody is going to trade me an actual PRS straight up for my TTM. furthermore, if my asking about PRS copies bothers you, don't read my threads...

Why is saving not an option?

I don't see why you continue your search for a low-cost PRS copy when PRS makes it in the SE line. That was their whole reason behind the SE line in the first place - to give players a more affordable alternative.

• Members

I have two Phils, both are Strat copies. I like them quite fine. There is a UK guitarist named James Bradfield. or something like that, who used to used Phils. The brand name is actually supposed to be "Phil Pro" but somehow the name has been shortened. However, I wouldnt trade my TTM for one, because I have never seen one bring more than $100 on ebay. I would just sell my TTM for around $200 and then buy something.

• Members

Why is saving not an option?

I don't see why you continue your search for a low-cost PRS copy when PRS makes it in the SE line. That was their whole reason behind the SE line in the first place - to give players a more affordable alternative.

because i'm married with a 9 year old and bills out the wazoo. if i try to save for anything the money will end up going to something else... for example, i had a good start on an amp fund to buy my custom Ceriatone, had about $250 saved. but alas, hte wife got pneumonia and missed almost a week of work... guess where my amp money went...

• 10 years later...

Archived