1976, the year in music. Has there ever been a year like this before or since?

EADGBE

• Members
1976 - some good stuff, and some not so good stuff IMO. Corny soft rock and bubble gum rock like Captain and Tenille, Bay City Roller, and Bread. Cool stuff like new albums released by Judas Priest, Motorhead, The Nuge, and Rush. Oh yeah and don't forget this one "Toys In The Attic" was released in 1975). IMO, it's one of the best albums Aerosmith released.

Aerosmith_-_Rocks.JPG

Hi, Ellen, :wave:

I lubs me some Rocks, too! Good times! :love:

I've gotta tell, ya, though. I've been playing a Best of Bread disc lately, and I can't get over how much I enjoy it. Those guys CRAFTED some tunes! :thu: I can remember that stuff playing on the PA at the ice rink and on AM radio way back when.

Cheers!

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

My mom played that pretty much nonstop. I grew to hate it! I wonder what I'd think now if I gave it a spin...

That was my first real exposure to country music. I was 10 or 11 when it came out. It was a good place to start. The grittiness of "outlaw country" appealed to the mischievous side of me. Still does.

I didn't get into Johnny Cash until much later, though.

• Members
This thread is depressing:( It reminds me how much modern music blows goat sacks:facepalm:

Did you not read post #36? Most of the stuff on the charts was garbage. There's good and bad from every year; the good stuff stays around and people forget about the bad stuff. Why do I feel like I have to say this in every thread about music? :facepalm:

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showpost.php?p=38245638&postcount=36

• Members

200px-Rock_and_roll_over_cover.jpg

Snobs, look down your noses if you must - but this is the one of the very first LPs that started it for this (then) young kid. Checked out from the local library on a regular basis, heh.

Freaking magical time, my infancy of discovering rock music.

I knew this thread could be NOTHING if not woefully incomplete without posting that album.

I just personally didnt have the balls to post it myself. :facepalm:

Thanks man.

This thread is NOW awesome. :thu:

• Members
I knew this thread could be NOTHING if not woefully incomplete without posting that album.

I just personally didnt have the balls to post it myself.
:facepalm:

Thanks man.

This thread is NOW awesome.
:thu:

Haha, sorry man - I jumped in at cock rock. I'm just glad I jumped in. ;)

And if a 7-year-old playing tennis racket to Ace was wrong - baby, I didn't wanna be right! :rawk:

• Members

I'd rate 1970, 1972, 1973, or maybe even 1975 higher on the all-time greatest years scale. By 1976, many of my favorite artists had already broken up, were breaking up, or had peaked and started going downhill ([cough]BlackSabbathRodStewartHumblePieJamesBrownStonesMeters)):

But 1976 still had many, many excellent musical moments, besides those already referenced (topped by Rocks):

s26678.jpg4125K2C313L.SL240.jpgs27567.jpg

Robert_Palmer_Some_People.jpgs114248.jpg

s188444.jpgs10492.jpg

• Members
You the guy who posted all that god-awful punk and new wave crap up above?

Yeah, thought so. Have a safety pin.

:wave:

:lol: Well if you really think Talking Heads, Iggy Pop or Elvis Costello are "god-awful punk" or "new wave crap" there's no hope for ya!

I mean .. well .. KISS? Seriously? ??? :lol:

To each his own I guess

• Members

Dec 1969 had:

1) Let It Bleed

2) Abbey Road

3) LZ II

at the top of the album charts.

When I joined HC, my moniker from Music Player was in use here, by me, (I had registered long before, but was hanging out at MP). It had been so long that I had a new computer. I couldn't remember the password and couldn't use the Hotmail address I no longer had to retrieve it. So, I used the title of a song I'd been learning from one of those albums.

Archived