Happy New Roadstar FUUUUU.............

Furtive

• Members

I've been on a Roadstar kick lately. Specifically, 1986 Roadstars. Landed this one last week, some minor body damage, but I was happy with the price:

http://cgi.ebay.com/1986-Ibanez-Roadstar-RG450-Electric-Guitar-HSH-Japan_W0QQitemZ270509664859QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar?hash=item3efba1ea5b

FedEx-packed box didn't have any damage when it arrived today. Guitar didn't come in a case or gigbag, but had plenty of bubble wrap around it - and enough in the box so that it wouldn't shift.

Everything seems ok until the bubble wrap comes off, and the trem bar falls... hey wait, what's the trem attached to? FUUUUUUUCK.

101_3235.jpg

101_3237.jpg

fwiw, I've never seen an original Edge destroyed like this one. I emailed the seller.... see where it goes from here. I'd love to get a replacement trem for it... don't want to send it back.

• Members

It's a 25 year old guitar. Who the hell knows what happenned to it?

I'd venture a guess and say that sometime in the past it developed a hairline fracture and the cold weather finished it off during shipping. I used to see it pretty frequently with climbing gear.

• Members

Looks like pot metal... pot metal breaks.
:idk:

Pretty sweet guitar other than that.

Sucks for sure...

I don't know that I'd associate Pot Metal with the reputation the Edge trem has. Wonder if we've been fooled all these years?

• Members

Thanks for all the comments - this is the first time I've ever seen this happen to an original Edge, too. The early ones are supposed to be the best ones made by Ibanez, so this was a big shock to me.

Germs - what you said about a hairline crack going critical from the cold. That makes sense to me - the guit came from Colorado, and it's been below freezing since last week here in Delware.

As stated previously - the box shows no damage, no corners that are crunched or compressed. The one pisser is that the strings were fully tuned. I'd be willing to bet that if it was detuned before shipping, the trem would still be in one piece.

• Members

wow, that's {censored}ed up. no pun intended.

I'm having a hard time imagining how that happened without more damage to the body itself?

That one chip of paint under the break - that could be new. All the other dings on the body right now appear to have been there previously, judging from the ebay auction pix.

• Members

I think the edge trems were made of cheap metal, but had hardened steel inserts that could be replaced... i may be wrong. this sucks though, im betting that the box was compressed in some weird way with the trem arm in, and it got broke from something like that.

• Members

So did it ship with the trem arm inserted into the socket? (major mistake) If that was the case, I could see it being dropped off a ledge and if it fell right on the face, the shock would slam the bar down to the face of the body so fast it could cause it to snap the base plate. I guess....

• Members

So did it ship with the trem arm inserted into the socket? (major mistake) If that was the case, I could see it being dropped off a ledge and if it fell right on the face, the shock would slam the bar down to the face of the body so fast it could cause it to snap the base plate. I guess....

Yep - bar was in the trem.

Everyone that's reading this... let this be a lesson on how to NOT ship a guitar. Be sure to de-tune, and remove the trem bar.

btw, Mazi... I like your red RG450. I'm guessing that these were the first h/s/h Ibanezes?

• Members

Yep - bar was in the trem.

Everyone that's reading this... let this be a lesson on how to NOT ship a guitar. Be sure to de-tune, and remove the trem bar.

btw, Mazi... I like your red RG450. I'm guessing that these were the first h/s/h Ibanezes?

Yeah, pretty much. Also the first with the "RG" designation and the first with the Edge. :thu:

Archived