Mommy, I'm SCARED ...

csm

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

... because I've been asked to play a gig with some VERY SERIOUS avant-garde jazz guys in a band led... the gig is gonna be
'ambient new-age jazz'
, and they want me to sit in as a guest and play some Delta-style resonator slide in a collective .

You should be able to play what the {censored} you like then.

• Members

They asked you to do it because they like what you do, don't try to compete.
I found myself in a similar position in France a few years ago, playing with some fabulous jazz fusion session guys. I also had to add my quite rough 'n' ready (but toneful) slide playing to what they were doing. I was VERY nervous, but guess what, they made my simple phrasing sound fabulous.
You'll probably also find, like I did, that musicians of that class are very generous, and want EVERYONE in the band to sound good, unlike the competitiveness you often get at a lower level.
Have fun, I know you will.

• Members

Charles, it's like driving your car and seeing several other cars racing up behind you at 100 mph (insert metric conversion here). If you try to guess where they're going and swerve into another lane, you're gonna' get hit. If you stay in your lane, they'll know where you are and you'll be fine.

• Members

If you make a mistake or hit a "wrong" note, just repeat it a couple times and everyone will think you did it on purpose.
:D

Like I tell my bandmate who seems to have fits of nerves... I don't care if it's right or not... just play it like you meant it!

• Members

Just work in that "ambient" area and you'll be fine. If that gets too tough, just provide ambiance. You know, by smoking and nodding your head, sagely.

I'd love to ... but smoking in UK venues is now just as verboten as it is in the US. Even in jazz bars!

• Members

You were asked to jam with them because they, or at least the ones who asked, were already aware of your playing style. They are EXPECTING you to be none other than YOU.

Just go in there and do your thing.

You will be great.

Everybody's saying it better than I would, but here's my 2

• Members

They asked you to do it because they like what you do, don't try to compete.

I found myself in a similar position in France a few years ago, playing with some fabulous jazz fusion session guys. I also had to add my quite rough 'n' ready (but toneful) slide playing to what they were doing. I was VERY nervous, but guess what, they made my simple phrasing sound fabulous.

You'll probably also find, like I did, that musicians of that class are very generous, and want EVERYONE in the band to sound good, unlike the competitiveness you often get at a lower level.

Have fun, I know you will.

That's pretty close to what I was going to say.

I've never been thrown into the deep end with hot jazz guys at a gig. But recently I was invited to a jam where the bass player was one of these Jaco/fusion guys, absolutely an amazing player. At first I was totally intimidated by his chops. But after about twenty minutes of trying fit into his thing, I just laid down a good simple rock groove, he jumped on it and things really began to cook.

They invited you, let them come to you musically.

BTW, I got a call from the guy this week, he invited me to another jam this weekend. I'm a caveman compared to him, but he likes playing with me.

• Members

If you get into a tight spot, just remember that in an ensemble like that less is more. Follow the basic rhythm. The simple fact that you're playing a reso will make you stand out and most likely give them what they're looking for.

And if you do "play badly"...you're playing to jazz fans. Tell them you did it on purpose. Better yet, tell them you were playing blues licks ironically :lol: they'll eat it up :thu:

• Members

Just be yourself, mate.

Have fun, and feel out the tunes. They asked you to be there, so they want you, and not some other guy. So play it the way only you can play it.

What an honor though. I hope you have a blast.

As far as improv like this goes.. Well, I've never surfed before, but I imagine that the goal and feel is kindof the same thing; you've got this spontaneous and uncontrollable thing and you're trying to be in harmony with it. No matter if it's beautiful or rough, or whether you want to move with it, or against it for a moment of dynamic motion.

Archived