Mommy, I'm SCARED ...

csm

• Members

... because I've been asked to play a gig with some VERY SERIOUS avant-garde jazz guys in a band led by bassist Jair-Rohm Parker Wells and featuring, on guitar, none other than ex-Bowie sideman Reeves Gabrels (whom I know from his Tin Machine stint with David). What's more, Jair-Rohm has never heard me, but I was recommended by John Sinclair (poet, activist and ex-MC5 manager), with whom Jair-Rohm and I have both played, but never together.

Apparently the gig is gonna be 'ambient new-age jazz', and they want me to sit in as a guest and play some Delta-style resonator slide in a collective improv, but it's major jump-in-at-the-deep-end stuff, because they're heavy-duty jazz peeps and I'm just a blues primitive. I'll be several light-years away from my comfort zone and the potential for embarrassment and disaster is nothing short of massive. I'm just gonna request a long drone in A and hope for the best.

So send me some major mojo for the night of Feb 3 (London time), and if any London forumites are anywhere near the Vortex jazz bar in Stoke Newington, London N16, c'mon along and keep fingers, toes and all available digits crossed.

I'll be the VERY NERVOUS guy with the leather jacket and the gold resonator.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Luckily there will be folks you know there when you do it.......in both cases

Both of you just go do what you are noted for doing.

The reason they want to play with you is simply because of that.

They like what you do.

Good luck and have a blast.

• Members
honestly, who the fark would know what a mistake sounds like in avant-garde jazz? LOL

Well ^ THAT is true up to a point! :lol: But, yeah, some of the stuff they do requires seriously crazy chops, and more deep theory than I'll ever acquire! My theory barely covers the pentatonic hack stuff we had that post about the other day ... :facepalm:

But hey, mojo!

• Members

just downshift into mixolydian every now and then and you'll be fine

i know the feeling.

we've got a special guest doing a couple songs with us in san fran next month. dude's one of my musical icons.

i'm beyond {censored}ing nervous.

who?

• Members
My theory barely covers the pentatonic hack stuff we had that post about the other day ...
:facepalm:

Yeah, me too ...

That's why I started to freak out approximately thirty seconds after agreeing to do the gig.

• Members

Good Luck man-I feel for you because I agreed today to considering becoming the regular accompanist for a really great jazz singer- she was in a small group but now just wants her and a guitar- yours is much more hard core, but my last live stint was two years ago in a country band so I pretty much had an anxiety attack for the rest of the day when I realized what I had done. I'm sure you'll nail it.

• Members

... because I've been asked to play a gig with some VERY SERIOUS avant-garde jazz guys in a band led by bassist Jair-Rohm Parker Wells and featuring, on guitar, none other than ex-Bowie sideman Reeves Gabrels (whom I know from his Tin Machine stint with David). What's more, Jair-Rohm has never heard me, but I was recommended by John Sinclair (poet, activist and ex-MC5 manager), with whom Jair-Rohm and I have both played, but never together.

Apparently the gig is gonna be 'ambient new-age jazz', and they want me to sit in as a guest and play some Delta-style resonator slide in a collective improv, but it's major jump-in-at-the-deep-end stuff, because they're heavy-duty jazz peeps and I'm just a blues primitive. I'll be several light-years away from my comfort zone and the potential for embarrassment and disaster is nothing short of massive. I'm just gonna request a long drone in A and hope for the best.

So send me some major mojo for the night of Feb 3 (London time), and if any London forumites are anywhere near the Vortex jazz bar in Stoke Newington, London N16, c'mon along and keep fingers, toes and all available digits crossed.

I'll be the VERY NERVOUS guy with the leather jacket and the gold resonator.

you'll be fine... just do your thing... sounds like a lot of fun... with the potential to sound really cool

• Members

jazz is kinda scary. I'm not even sure what 'Avant-garde' would entail. Like 'Love Supreme' or 'Bitches Brew'? Luckily, I would think that it's kind of hard to screw up too bad if you can figure out the key and just stick to pentatonics. I would just concentrate on what the bass is doing and be conservative with the notes. Remember the golden rule of internet guitar 'taste': if you play less notes everyone will say your playing is 'emotional'.

Archived