School me about Charvels

dres_x

• Members

They look freaking amazing! But I don't think I've seen one in stores locally before...what do they feel like? Where is the best place to buy them from online? How much can I usually find them used? Is there anything in particular to look out for?

PS. Please post pics of yours too! I saw this one recently and it made me :eek:

12.jpg

• Members

I purchased mine from Sweetwater around Thanksgiving when they were blowing the Style 2's out.(Tele style) I like the neck on mine. Somewhere in bewteen my jackson and strat. Mine has the JB/59' pu combination. MaltoMario is the resident Charvel expert here. I am sure he will chime in for you with some more detailed and expert info. Here's mine.

003-2.jpg

004.jpg

005-1.jpg

• Members

I am no expert on them.

I have one of these So-Cals,

socalcopy.jpg

Pagan Gold (arrgh). I guess the necks are what you hear about most. They are a little bit wider top to bottom than a US Strat. Very comfortable. They don't have a poly finish on the neck, so it's super smooth and fast to move around on.

One of the bad points is that the truss rod adjustment is at the heal of the neck, so you have to take the neck off to adjust it, not a huge deal, just inconvenient when you do need to adjust it. I read that the quarter swan necks are stronger, and so maybe you don't have to adjust them like other necks when the seasons change. Not sure on that though.

L-FR

The pickups in the So-Cals are DiMarzios (Evo in the neck and Tone Zone in the bridge) and it's Duncans in the San Diams model.

Seems like they are getting a pretty good rep from most guys who own them.

I impressed with how versatile the So-Cal is.

Used, maybe between $800 and $700 normally, with a rare good score at $650. Not too long ago the new ones could be had for $850 on ebay but think it is pretty much $1000 now a days.

http://www.interstatemusic.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10001&storeId=10051&langId=-1&productId=900277459

Last week a guy was selling one in the spam thread, not sure if it's still there.

Does not come with a case but with a gig bag, though I was happy to find that the so-cal fit into a DK2m case.

• Members

Is the body full sized or dinky style? It looks full sized to me. About as weighty as a strat?

I should have been more clear, with a little effort, but not too much, it fits into my DK2m case. I could be wrong, but think they are full body strat size. The bodies are a little different than a stock strat of course.

It also strikes me as a little heavier than the USA Strat that I just sold. And again, I am no expert on these things, hopefully someone will clear these questions up for sure.

• Members

here are mine-

16843_532299336375_67402512_31441597_392

6414_524308939195_67402512_31173711_7832

4464_523124577665_67402512_31118040_1525

The matte black charvel you posted is a custom. There was a limited run of them a few years ago. New Charvel's are either the USA pro series (the green and orange ones) and custom shop pieces (the star). Typical body styles are strat, tele, surfcaster and star styles? Quality is second to none. The necks are the best part as they are really comfy for chords, but still let you rip. Neck shape is between a flat C and a Wolfgang. The necks are also fretted well.

The sky is the limit when it comes to the custom shop. They'll build you anything you want.

As far as the USA pros, the best of the bunch is the So Cal.

• Members

I should have been more clear, with a little effort, but not too much, it fits into my DK2m case. I could be wrong, but think they are full body strat size. The bodies are a little different than a stock strat of course.

It also strikes me as a little heavier than the USA Strat that I just sold. And again, I am no expert on these things, hopefully someone will clear these questions up for sure.

The bodies are strat sized. Most are 3 piece bodies. the ones with trans finishes are 2 piece.

• Members

Decent guitars, but don't pay anywhere near the $1099 asking price for a new one. You should have no problem haggling the price down to $850 or less new, not sure what they are going for used.

Main complaints I see most often are the fact that the 'Floyd Rose' is advertised as if it were a 'real' Floyd Rose, but it is really a Korean knockoff of the Floyd bridge, and for the asking price it should probably come with a case instead of a gig bag.

• Members

It's not really a knock-off, because it is manufactured by Floyd Rose. Many feel it is inferior, but I've never seen anyone really explain what is inferior about it. If I were buying a Floyd, I'd want the German made one just because it's the "real" Floyd Rose, but the MIK one is probably fully functional.

As for Charvels... The current crop are ok, but I much prefer the toothpaste era stuff. Better necks, dinky bodies, pointy headstock and the Schaller Floyd Rose..

Here is mine:

charvel-headstock.jpg

charvel-overall.jpg

IMG_0836.jpg

charvel-bridge.jpg

charvel-frets.jpg

• Members

I've never played a more shredriffic guitar that my '91 toothpaste era 475 Deluxe (MIJ). :thu:

The stock bridge Jackson HB (J-50BC) isn't the best for fast crunch rhythm without a lot of EQ tweaking on my Boogie, but it has one of the best lead sounds I've ever heard. I'm afraid to lose that sound, so I've kept it all these years. I like playing around with the active mid boost also, really helps to use full blast for a neck lead, but then I turn it down to about 1/2 for any other type of playing. If anything, I wouldn't mind having a Duncan Parallel Axis Distortion Trembucker and two PA Trembucker stacks, that would give a very distinctive look and would sound great no doubt, or maybe even a EMG set. But if I do, I'll probably pick up another 475 just so I can keep that original sound also.

Picture006.jpg

I definitely intend to get a koa (of course :cool: ) San Dimas Charvel at some point also. :D

fullcharvel.jpg

• Members

RavenCad, you know I want that guitar.

Why do you continue to do this to me?

It would compliment my Charvel collection nicely.

P.S. I also really want a maple necked toothpaste-era model. BAD.

There is a rosewood one on Ebay right now with no bids.. It's got a great top. Kind of a quilted flame instead of flame or quilt.. There is also one of the darker red burst ones.. The toothpaste models don't get much love cuz they've got the wrong logo and all that, but they're vastly superior to the earlier MIJ models, IMO..

EDIT: some pics of that Ebay one..

!BjS7sQQ!Wk~$(KGrHqEH-CUEsLJy88zuBLS9NLv

!BjS7tzg!2k~$(KGrHqEH-DUEs6eKRz9qBLS9NSf

http://cgi.ebay.com/CHARVEL-GUITAR-W-FLOYD-ROSE-SEYMORE-DUNCAN-HUMBUCKER_W0QQitemZ220539226629QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar?hash=item3359298a05

If I had the room for another one, I'd already own it..

• Members

There is a rosewood one on Ebay right now with no bids.. It's got a great top. Kind of a quilted flame instead of flame or quilt.. There is also one of the darker red burst ones.. The toothpaste models don't get much love cuz they've got the wrong logo and all that, but they're vastly superior to the earlier MIJ models, IMO..

EDIT: some pics of that Ebay one..

!BjS7sQQ!Wk~$(KGrHqEH-CUEsLJy88zuBLS9NLv

!BjS7tzg!2k~$(KGrHqEH-DUEs6eKRz9qBLS9NSf

http://cgi.ebay.com/CHARVEL-GUITAR-W-FLOYD-ROSE-SEYMORE-DUNCAN-HUMBUCKER_W0QQitemZ220539226629QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar?hash=item3359298a05

If I had the room for another one, I'd already own it..

What do you mean by toothpaste models? As in the logo looks like it was written in toothpaste?

I read that there are lots of fakes...what should I look out for? I assume the one you posted is real

• Members

I only sorta have part of a Charvel - I got a guitar in trade for some speakers, was led to believe it was Charvel from around the 8-something era where they were being imported from Japan, that had a sloppy user-refinish on it.

Turns out that only the neck & neck-plate are from a Charvel, the rest is anybody's guess:

Bert-OCharvel-01.jpg

Bert-OCharvel-05.jpg

At first, I was weirded out by how thin the neck is - but I've grown to love it.

• Members

One tid-bit of info I picked up the other day was that the base plate on the Korean Floyd was a little thicker then on a OFR. This was as measured with a caliper. Also, that all the other elements measured to be equal between the two, block included, this was from the JC forum.

As for better or worse, I have no idea. I do notice that the arm comes a little loose pretty quick on my So-cal, maybe this is par for the course.

EG) Man, that thing needs a Burka! :D

• Members

I don't know who the artist was. He picked it up on ebay. He wanted it, if I remember the story right, because it was made immediately after Charvel was bought and it still had the old style logo on the headstock or something like that.

I always thought the girl on the right looked a little butch.

I haven't played it but he says its one of his best players.

EG

Archived