Mighty Mite Vs. Warmoth

DaveGrima

• Members

I need a Strat neck for a project im doing. Whats the difference between these two brands. Are Warmoth necks really worth the extra money? I know Warmoth is made in USA but are there significant differences in the overall quality? Im probably gonna replace the nut and get a fret job done eventually so. . MightyMite or Warmoth?

• Members

MM now dresses the frets before they ship apparently. I got one in the mail for a friend, the frets were nice and shiney and perfectly level.

warmoth doesnt do fretwork, but their craftsmanship usually makes it so you dont need fretwork, i think i could say that about both companies honestly.

• Members

I just built a project with a GFS satin finish Strat neck and love it! If you go Warmoth, get it unfinished. Finishing a neck is dirt simple and will save a bunch of money.

Yeah I planned on getting an unfinished one. Even unfinished the Warmoths go for like $160 with basic features. I can get a finished MM neck on E-bay for $90 shipped. :idea:

• Members

leave it raw, you will thank yourself, trust me.

dab some light tung or linseed oil on it, then scrub it off with a new paper towel almost immediately. gives it a finished-sheen, slight shield from the elements, but still feels raw.

• Members

Brief thread hijack:

Just out of curiosity, how necessary is it to finish a neck? Can you just leave it raw, or would that affect playability or longevity?

My Warmoth neck came with a disclaimer that said that they would not warranty the neck unless it had an actual finish, tung oil or any oil wasn't good enough. I have tung oiled my necks for years without any problems ever.

• Members

If its got poly on it ill probably strip it and tung-oil it. I have a Carvin neck like this and I really like the look and feel of it. Yeah Ill probably go Mighty Mite. I can't justify spending twice as much for a chunk of wood, unless someone convinces me otherwise. :poke:

• Members

If its got poly on it ill probably strip it and tung-oil it. I have a Carvin neck like this and I really like the look and feel of it. Yeah Ill probably go Mighty Mite. I can't justify spending twice as much for a chunk of wood, unless someone convinces me otherwise. :poke:

Not gonna try. I bought my body from Warmoth but bought the neck from GFS and couldn't be happier. Sorry, can't resist:

4273561076_725fba7f25_b.jpg

• Members

Both MM necks I got have a really light, satin finish on them. You might like the finish just the way it is. If not, tung oil is pretty nice too.

• Members

Warmoth makes great stuff, no doubt

I like 80s Mighty Mite a lot - the new stuff is alright

but if you like Carvin, and want to oil finish, why not get a Carvin replacement neck?

http://www.carvinguitars.com/catalog/necks/index.php?model=bn

• Members

mm necks you can get the truss rod adjustment on the neck warmoth is heel only

Not necessarily. Warmoth Pro has the heel adjustment on the treble side (very convenient). Warmoth Vintage Modern has the truss adjustment at the neck and Vintage is like a 50's or 60's Fender.

Never used MM, but I have 3 Warmoth necks and they're great.

• Members

This was made with all warmoth parts when the frets wore out I switched the neck and bought a MM for the price of a fret job! I saw no real difference. I think the MM neck on it now is great. The satin finish on it is thin and can easily be removed!

IMG_0206.jpg

• Members

MM necks look pretty good, if you're happy with the set of options MM offers and don't want any custom features.

Warmoth lets you specify everything from what kind of frets, neck profile shape, nut, tuner holes, etc., and have your neck built custom for you.

MM has a few variations, but you're still getting a standard part, not a custom one. And they don't tell you as much as Warmoth does about their specifications. For instance, I'm looking for a replacement neck, but I need it fat. It can be U-shaped, V-shaped, "boatneck," or whatever, but ideally it would be 1" thick at the 1st & 12th frets. Warmoth has a helpful page explaining exactly what its neck contours look like and their exact measurements. MM doesn't tell you how thick their necks are: they offer a standard profile and a "V" profile, but I have no way of knowing whether either is chunky enough for me because they don't give me that information.

So it's looking like Warmoth.

Archived