Dimarzio Crunch Lab or Steve's Special?

The Rossness

• Members

I'm replacing the pickups in my Charvel San Dimas. I have a Suhr Aldrich in the bridge and a Jazz in the neck. I'm replacing the Jazz with a Dimarzio Liquifire, but am stuck on what bridge pup to put in there. I don't want duncans. I had motor city nukes in there before and didn't like those either.

So now I'm looking at the Dimarzio Steve's Special and the Crunch lab.

I want a tone simillar to a Tonezone, but I want it to be smoother and have more crunch. On paper, I'm not sure about the crunch lab. The resistance is 11. I typically like hotter pups, but its been getting great reviews. On the otherhand, there's the Steve's special, which has a resistance of 18. I haven't had a chance to play it yet. Can anyone give me some advice on what to get. I'm looking for a hot and smooth dimarzio type PU.

I should note that I do not want a tonezone, Evo, Super D, or D Activator.

[i have a tone zone in another axe and don't need another

the Evo isn't what I'm going for- its too round

the Super D sounds muffled to me

I just don't like the D Activator, Chords sound muddy.]

• Members

Having used both I would say that the Crunch Lab, despite having a lower DC resistance, is hotter than the Steve's Special.

Also the SS had a very scooped sound, extremely clear and articulate. The crunch lab is wasy more mid focused, crunchier, and seems to just hit the front of an amp way harder.

I would say Crunch Lab.

• Members

i've put a steves special in my olp petrucci - i like the sound quite a bit, sometimes i ask myself if another one with a more "round" sounding, middier pu would be something for me - the definition is really nice I'd say - but from what i think you would want, you should probably go crunch lab...

Archived