'fess up. Anyone here ever stolen a guitar?

Northstar

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members
I had to steal one of my friend's guitars back for him...no {censored}

One of the guys we were cool with at the time just kinda walked out of his house with it & said "Don't worry, I'll bring it back" Well, this guy has a habit of stealing things from other's houses and hawking the items for meth. Two hours later, I'm climbing through methhead's window to get the guitar back.

Calling the cops right now.:cop:

• Members
Not ripping on your dog, boxers are my absolute favorite dog on the planet, and my favorite individual dog that ever lived is a boxer, but unless you fed your dog gunpowder as a pup, or beat or tortured him or something, and if he is a typical boxer, then he is the very defenition of all bark and no bite.

Otis is an Awesome looking dog.
:thu:

Yeah, but his bark sounds pretty mean, and most thief types just don't want to take the chance. I've been out walking Otis and people have crossed the street to stay away from us. And others ask if he's a pit bull.

A survey group recently asked prisoners in some state prison what is the top thing that would stop them from breaking into a house. Something like 96 percent said the presence of a dog, any dog, would keep them from breaking into a house.

• Members
When my son lived at home, his band practiced at our place. They left a bunch of stuff in my basement. It's been two years. Is it mine yet?

I have a similar problem. However they leave keyboards, horns, guitars, microphones,PAs, and amplifiers. But for some reason they always seem to take my cables:confused::confused::confused:

• Members

My last 2 years of high school I played in a band with 2 guys that were about 26 or 27. The drummer quit and we met another guy.

We found the new drummer because the other guitar player was a temporary mailman and he heard someone drumming so he banged on the door and asked him to join the band.

The new drummer was a nice guy but weird.

He was totally stuck in the 80s, he liked Def Leopard and made us play 8675309 (we were mainly an original band with some Johnny Thunders covers - both me and the other guy had TV Juniors LOL!).

Anyway, he joins the band and he really can't play. He had a Ludwig Vistalite set (clear) and refused to play Chinese Rocks at a show outside of Boston because he didn't want to offend Chinese people.

We stopped playing with him, but he had left a nice Fender bass from the early 70s at my house where we played. The other guitarist took it and wouldn't return it - he also moved away because he finished his masters and was an engineer.

I helped the drummer track him down and it ruined my friendship with the guitar player, which sucked because we were good friends and used to go look at guitars and hang out all the time - even when I was in college.

The drummer is a great guy (lousy drummer) and I run into him now and again. He also was a cop the whole time this was going on and never played the cop card.

• Members

When my in-laws abandoned their house and moved, the wife and I went through the vacant house making sure nothing of hers was left. I found a Yamaha electric guitar. Nobody in her family plays guitar, so I secured it. We asked my in-laws if it was theirs, and they said "no."

A year later the house burnt down.

Two years after the house burnt down I sold the guitar to my neighbor.

Three years after that my father-in-law suddenly remembers he got it in a trade (although he can't recall what he traded for it, or why he traded for a guitar when he doesn't play, or why it was in his daughter's room, or anything about the guitar) and asks if he can have the guitar so he can give it to a nephew.

I prefer to think I rescued it...because otherwise it would be a pile of ashes.

• Members

No, but I "stole" an amp.

Traded this guy a 2004 Fender Stratocaster American Deluxe for...

.....a 1968 Deluxe Reverb.

Yea.

But then again, I'm pretty sure he knew what he was doing, he was in his late 50's, had ton of guitars already, and knew how to research stuff online

Honestly, I think he was 'passing the torch'.

• Members

i had my skateboard stolen when i was in like 6th or 7th grade, and at the time, that was the equivilent to my guitars... it was the worst feeling ever knowing that someone went through our garage with the purpose of stealing it...

recently my best friend had his house broken into and had his first bass stolen. (along with every dvd he owned, his expensive laptop, his xbox, ipod, and other things) it crushed him for a while... i could never imagine doing that to another person...

stealing is stupid, not worth it, and i would NEVER think about stealing from another person...

• Members

On our move from Ohio to Phoenix, we drove through Tennessee. Stopped for the night dead tired, woke up the next day to find that some ass wipe had stolen our moving truck. Everything we owned, including the proof we owned it was in that truck. To this day I hate that state. We couldn't even get the cops to come make a report, and when they finally showed up, they didn't share the report with the Nashville police 20 miles away. WE traced the truck down parked outside an auction house a month later. The {censored}s even sold the battery out of the truck. Never saw any of it ever again.

Think of it, everything you own, boxed, labeled and ready to roll.

• Members

I've never stole or had anything stolen from me. I couldn't steal a guitar just because I'm sort of weird about having anything that I didn't work for, even if it's a gift from family. I sort of want to know exactly what I'm getting, when, why and how. Then when I get it, I sort of expect that at some point I'm not going to have it anymore. Stolen, sold, given away, passing away from the material world, whatever. I don't own anything that I couldn't bare to lose, cuz if you can't lose it then you don't own it, it owns you. Incidentally, I gotta side with CSM and say that I can't get down with the tough guy attitude about shooting people in the face over lacquered wood.

• Members

I've never had anything stolen from me but I have been accused of stealing a bass. When I was in high school I play with my church praise group at a teen mass, I'd switch between using either my guitar or a crappy Cort bass the church had. One day the bass disappears and I start getting phone calls from the music director about it's whereabouts (I had brought it home a few times to practice) They never could get any evidence that I took it (seeing as how I didn't) but I always got dirty looks from the music director every time she saw me.

I guess I might be able to consider my PA system 'stolen'. My entire high school band chipped in and bought it for rehearsals which were held at my place. Once the band broke up after high school we all went our separate ways and I wound up with the PA in my possession that I now use for my current bands. None of the other guys do anything musical anymore and probably haven't thought about it in years.

• Members
On our move from Ohio to Phoenix, we drove through Tennessee. Stopped for the night dead tired, woke up the next day to find that some ass wipe had stolen our moving truck. Everything we owned, including the proof we owned it was in that truck. To this day I hate that state. We couldn't even get the cops to come make a report, and when they finally showed up, they didn't share the report with the Nashville police 20 miles away. WE traced the truck down parked outside an auction house a month later. The {censored}s even sold the battery out of the truck. Never saw any of it ever again.

Think of it, everything you own, boxed, labeled and ready to roll.

Thats {censored}ing terrible.

Also, im scared of moving house now :freak:

• Members

Yeah I don't know. A lot of you guys are pretty high and mighty over this subject. I don't steal. But honestly there are SO MANY things on my list higher than stealing in terms of being offensive. It's just stuff. My bike was stolen from me when I was kid. Yeah it sucks, but I got over it. My own {censored}in fault for not locking it anyway. In my neighborhood it was just part of the game growing up.

Just found out my mothers house got B&E'd the other day (my drums and valuable cymbals are still there) and thankfully only a few things were taken, and none of my drum stuff. But honestly...whatever....i'd get over it. My mom thinks the thief's probably walked out thinking what a waste of time it was hitting that house...LOL.

And I especially don't have a problem with stealing from corporations and their government whores who are the biggest {censored}in criminals this planet has ever seen. Those mother {censored}ers don't ever give anything back and have been stealing from all of us, through corporate welfare government subsidies. But because they write the laws too...it's not called stealing. Nice racket they got going. I ain't got no problem with Robin Hood type {censored}.

• Members

I had a guitar of mine stolen. While it wasn't the most expensive thing it had a lot of sentimental value.

For my high school graduation i convinced my mom to let my buy myself an Agile Silverburst Les Paul (i had a steady part time job at the time and my mom didn't really have the money).

Months later a friend of mine was playing a gig and needed a backup, instead of taking my p-90 guitar that was more suited for his style he wanted the Silverburst because it "looks so cool". Of course he stuck it in a gibson gig bag and somebody swiped it from him while they were packing up.

He did the honorable thing and gave me the money for it (which i used along with a bit of extra cash to score a deal on a Gibby LP Studio Lite for about $420)

• Members

when a friend and i were working at guitar center, we heisted 10K worth of gibson les pauls, we had them for two months or so before getting the short end of the stick. now our little stunt is kind of a touchstone during shrink/loss prevention lectures over there.

i'd never steal from a friend, but the BS @ GC made it very easy to rationalize doing it.

• Members

About the closest I've come is the deal where someone leaves something at my house and then never comes back for it, and drops off the planet.

Actually, I take that back. There are a couple local bands, including mine, who always play shows together, and every so often someone will swipe one of our pedals, and it'll mysteriously show up in one of their rigs the next show, so we steal something back. Last time the guy stole my modded TS7 (TS808 specs, but with a green LED. said he bought it from a store that way. yeah, right, they come with red LEDs, not green. so I jacked one of his Monster cables. About fair, I think. Still have the cable, went and bought a replacement TS7 and modded it again myself.

I don't think I'd ever steal a guitar or anything from anyone without feeling like they deserved it (IE; They stole something of mine first)

• Members

The closest I ever came to stealing a guitar was back in 1994. I was living with a total junkie who owned a sweet Gibson Les Paul Custom Black Beauty. He was behind on the rent, had racked up $1,000 in long distance phone bills in a month (got our phone cut off the day my other roommate had to tele-register for her university courses) and ate all our food.

Needless to say, I was ready to make his LP "disappear" (definitely after paying to have the phone reconnected!) but the dumb son-of-a-bitch hocked it before I could grab it. Funny thing was that he had replaced it with a Korean Flying-V copy, and the landlord grabbed it in lieu of unpaid rent. I doubt the thing was even worth $100.

I also used to go to open stages, and a lot of picks, capos and slides got left behind. I even ended up with a chromatic tuner once; I checked around and no one claimed it so I guess it's mine! :)

• Members

I guess it depends on perspective. A few years ago, a roommate left me stuck with $600 worth of bills/rent. Entirely his own stupid fault, he decided hanging out with his control-freak girlfriend was more important than working or paying bills. I kicked him out. He owned a bass guitar that he didn't know how to play, and he left it along with some other things that he intended to pick up later. I sold it for $50 to the guy who taught me to play. I didn't own it, but posession is 9/10ths and he owed me money so I don't really consider it theft.

• Members
when a friend and i were working at guitar center, we heisted 10K worth of gibson les pauls, we had them for two months or so before getting the short end of the stick. now our little stunt is kind of a touchstone during shrink/loss prevention lectures over there.

i'd never steal from a friend, but the BS @ GC made it very easy to rationalize doing it.

Yeah - OK. Grand larceny - did you do jail time?

• Members

Back in the 70s we played a private party at a supper club. My then bass player, found the house bands gear in a closet and tried to load an extra bass cab after the show. I offered to kick his ass if he didn't take it back in.

When he went back inside, I piled his gear in the parking lot and left.

• Members

A friend wanted drums for his son and a new guitar, so he unskrewed the numberplates on his car and put a sledgehammer in the trunk. The guitar shop was surounded by tall buildings, so he made quite a lot of noise.. besides, there was an aluminum grid behind the glass (very hard to spot when drunk, he said). Next he heard cars coming up behind him and then he was on on the ground in handcuffs.
After one hard night of interrigations, he was sent to a psyciatric hospital.

• Members

I've lost 3 bikes to theft from meth-heads

I was given a MIJ squier strat from my cousin, that works great w/ a new pup

I bought a '65 packard bell stereo with a ptp amp w/amperex ax7s & el84s for $35 from an estate sale

I traded a Peavey Triple XXX Ultra 60 combo( I did repair it tho') for a Mesa Boogie Mark 1 100watter

the boogie was in mediocre shape, but after $350 it is like a Marshall