'74 Telecaster Worth In Today's Market?

Bbreaker

• Members

To be honest, I have some older guitars I could sell for a lot more then I paid for them but I also understand that when I buy a guitar I'm not doing it for the return down the road, I'm doing it to play.

Sure, it's great to think that someday you'll sell something for more then we paid for it but I also know that had I put that same money into other investments it probably would have done as well.

Something is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it, again something we all know. If you're willing to wait chances are someone will come along and buy something for the high end/more then market value.

These days you really have to sell towards the lower end or wait it out. If it were me and I needed the cash I would part that guitar out.

• Members

I think the thinlines were going for $4K at one point, but I'd be very surprised if they still are.

Even my guitar collection took a hit. I paid $7,500 for my 03 R9 Brazilian. At the time they were going for $9,000 and $10,000 so I thought I was getting a bargain. I bet if I tried to sell mine I couldn't get more than $6,000 for it.

so this is your brilliant "investment" strategy?

*edited for content

• Members

The difference is, I don't buy to make a profit. I buy because I love them.

You brag every week about how you bought a Les Paul Junior for $200 and now it's worth $7,500

This R9 Brazilian sold for $9,100

Didn't you just say the other day that guitars are built for profit?

• Members

Quite a bit of urine in this thread.

It's just a dick man... just keep yours and use it, dp. It should ALWAYS be big enough for you. :poke:

:wave:

I know it gets said every time in threads like this, but a guitar is worth exactly what someone will pay you for it at any given time. On eBay, a guitar is worth what two people will pay you for it.

List a guitar at $5000 that 'should go for' $3,000, maybe it will sell, maybe it won't. Of course, you'll get a fair share of trade offers that will then be relayed to HCEG for laughable fodder, but... there you go.

I'd say if you want top dollar, wait a year or two. If you want to move it, try to sell it for what you want out of it and maybe you'll get it, but more likely you'll get less than you had hoped.

• Members

a guitar is worth exactly what someone will pay you for it at any given time. On eBay, a guitar is worth what two people will pay you for it.

Exactly.

Over here I see loads of really nice gear that is, on paper, 100% worth the asking price, but it just doesn't sell.

There's a guy selling a 90's Schecter USA custom shop guitar at the moment. On paper it's worth the far side of $1500. I'd be surprised if he gets $650 for it.

• Members

Quite a bit of urine in this thread.

It's just a dick man... just keep yours and use it, dp. It should ALWAYS be big enough for you. :poke:

:wave:

I know it gets said every time in threads like this, but a guitar is worth exactly what someone will pay you for it at any given time. On eBay, a guitar is worth what two people will pay you for it.

List a guitar at $5000 that 'should go for' $3,000, maybe it will sell, maybe it won't. Of course, you'll get a fair share of trade offers that will then be relayed to HCEG for laughable fodder, but... there you go.

I'd say if you want top dollar, wait a year or two. If you want to move it, try to sell it for what you want out of it and maybe you'll get it, but more likely you'll get less than you had hoped.

eBay is a pretty good indicator of the market value on stuff.

• Members

eBay is a pretty good indicator of the market value on stuff.

I have to agree. The 'completed listings' search is more accurate then any price guide I have seen. Before Ebay, I used to subscribe to Guitar Trader and each month's issue would be my guide - until everyone put 'Call'.

Even back in the day when I worked in a busy store that sold mostly used guitars - we would get people coming in with price guides and when we looked stuff up they would be mad because the books we used (Orion IIRC) were always lower.

Something is only worth what you can get for it. When it comes to guitars, I buy a lot of stuff and resell. I will buy something for a stupid low price and flip it.

When it's something I want I like to get a good deal but if I pay more I'm fine with that.

That being said, I paid $400.00 for a 74 Deluxe last year off Craigslist. I am thinking the regular Teles are worth more, although the Wide Range pickups are worth a bit - which is why this will go to parts.

Like I told you, this one is also going to be parted out, as it's a later 74 model and is very heavy. My cutoff for Fenders is late 73/early 74.

l_fad35de3dbeb4272ad1d262d58f1ff8a.jpg

• Members

The difference is, I don't buy to make a profit. I buy because I love them.

You brag every week about how you bought a Les Paul Junior for $200 and now it's worth $7,500

This R9 Brazilian sold for $9,100

Your first sentence is biggest line of horse {censored} you've ever said on HC.

If you're going to quote me, my '56 Les Paul Junior was $400.00 in a trade I made around 1981 and it's not worth $7500.00.

• Members

You butcher you!

Seems like a shame to part that sweet puppy out.
:cry:

When I'm getting rid of something it's about getting as much money as I can. The "vintage police" should buy this stuff it they're going to cry about people parting it out.

• Members

If you're going to quote me, my '56 Les Paul Junior was $400.00 in a trade I made around 1981 and it's not worth $7500.00.

Your right. $7,500 might actually be high

Here's some recent sales of some clean juniors

This 56 sold for $5,300

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320441410784&category=33040

This 58 sold for $4,000

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200419483747&category=118985

This 55 sold for $4,050

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320452788955&category=118985

• Members

When I'm getting rid of something it's about getting as much money as I can. The "vintage police" should buy this stuff it they're going to cry about people parting it out.

I thought about that as I posted my comment, but couldn't help myself since there was a recent thread started about "boycott the guitar butchers". http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?t=2535244

• Members

Your right. $7,500 might actually be high

Here's some recent sales of some clean juniors

This 56 sold for $5,300

This 58 sold for $4,000

This 55 sold for $4,050

The single cut sunburst juniors are the least desirable out there right now.

They're great guitars, but the TV single cuts and the cherry and TV double cuts are worth a lot more. Even a white SG or Pelham Junior is worth more these days. I have even seen cherry SG Juniors go for more then the single cuts.

This can change quickly, all it would take is for a few people to play them and they are great guitars.

I can't imagine anyone paying 12k or even half that for one unless it was perfect with every tag, case and the amp or if it had belonged to someone famous.

• Members

If you buy stuff you really like it will never matter what the resale is because you'll never want to sell it.

I have other investments (real estate, 401k, Mutual Funds, etc...) that are long term for profit. I buy my guitars for playing.

I do buy a lot of stuff really cheap and flip it, but that's more of a hobby then a vocation.

Archived