'74 Telecaster Worth In Today's Market?

Bbreaker

• Members

Here in the Wild West, the dry air preserves everything. Metal parts don't rust or corrode. Once a finish becomes stable, it doesn't yellow--it just fades.

By the way, I think that those go for around $5K at the moment. Maybe 7 if it were a '69 or '70.

$5,000? You've gotta be on crack.

This one sold for $3,000 and it's a 1973

http://cgi.ebay.com/1973-VINTAGE-FENDER-TELECASTER-BLOND-1-OWNER-USA-OHSC_W0QQitemZ370316839373QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar?hash=item56389a89cd

You could *MAYBE* get $5,000 in 2006 or 2007 during, but dream on if you think you can get it in 2010.

• Members

$5,000? You've gotta be on crack.

This one sold for $3,000 and it's a 1973

You could *MAYBE* get $5,000 in 2006 or 2007 during, but dream on if you think you can get it in 2010.

Well, $5k is not out of the question for a '74.

I've seen some go for higher $'s.

Some people, who don't think that $3k is a lot of money, will gladly pay more than twice what a guitar goes for.

Guitarmandp, you are the last person on HC to make a sarcastic remark on how much a guitar should go for.

• Members

Oh, I get it. This is one of those dp vs. bb things.

dp has that new sparkle tele that he paid way too much money for and bb posts his sweet '74.

It takes me awhile...sorry.

Doc, I'm not trying to start a pissing match BUT most people these days shop for the best price on whatever they buy. It doesn't mater if it's at Wallmart or on Rodeo Dr. You never want to pay more than you have to.

Also, you don't want to hear any sarcastic buying tips from a little Lord Fauntelroy.

• Members

Over here, early 70s rosewood board teles are in the $4000 - $5500 range, upper being for absolute dead mint.

Maple boards in blonde or natural (two most common colours) are going between $2500 and $3500 - again, uper range being for dead mint.

• Members

Oh, I get it. This is one of those dp vs. bb things.

dp has that new sparkle tele that he paid way too much money for and bb posts his sweet '74.

It takes me awhile...sorry.

Yeah, I'll pull up a comfy chair

:snax:

of course, I don't think Bb had that in mind when he started the thread, but we can only hope it's now going there.:lol:

• Members

I read everything--and I mean everything--about guitars. Four or five mags every month, every book that's come out in the last decade, buyer's guides, price lists, etc. I know that prices fluctuate like mad on post CBS stuff, but the Thinlines and straight Teles from the late 60's and early 70's have done pretty well. My cousin has a blond Tele from '70 that he bought new and still has. Fender made a lot of blond teles in the 70's, but so many of them have been molested in one way or another. A good, all original example should be able to command $5K in a healthy market, but this is far from a healthy market.

• Members

$50 tops, Bb. But, just for you, I'll gladly take it off your hands for $55.

;)

• Members

Some people, who don't think that $3k is a lot of money, will gladly pay more than twice what a guitar goes for.

Guitarmandp, you are the last person on HC to make a sarcastic remark on how much a guitar should go for.

11th edition blue book value of a 74 tele in "98% mint" condition is $3,250. Yours is not in mint condition.

The vintage guitar market is down 40% from it's peak.

• Members

I read everything--and I mean everything--about guitars. Four or five mags every month, every book that's come out in the last decade, buyer's guides, price lists, etc. I know that prices fluctuate like mad on post CBS stuff, but the Thinlines and straight Teles from the late 60's and early 70's have done pretty well. My cousin has a blond Tele from '70 that he bought new and still has. Fender made a lot of blond teles in the 70's, but so many of them have been molested in one way or another. A good, all original example should be able to command $5K in a healthy market, but this is far from a healthy market.

I think the thinlines were going for $4K at one point, but I'd be very surprised if they still are.

Even my guitar collection took a hit. I paid $7,500 for my 03 R9 Brazilian. At the time they were going for $9,000 and $10,000 so I thought I was getting a bargain. I bet if I tried to sell mine I couldn't get more than $6,000 for it.

• Members

Well, $5k is not out of the question for a '74.

I've seen some go for higher $'s.

Bbreaker, you just made my day.:lol::lol::lol:

• Members

I don't see how you could possibly get $5,000 for that guitar. here are some completed ebay auctions

73 blonde telecaster

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270476670477&category=38083 This one looks a lot cleaner than Bbreaker. It's mint. Sold for $3,000

here is a clean, but not as clean 73 that sold for $2,700

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130347116479&category=38083

Here's a 75 that sold for $2,400

eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200398773139

this 75 sold for $2,200

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170415998691&category=38083

• Members

It would depend.

Do you want to unload it fast? I would say 2200 - 2500. If you're willing to sit on it I would stick it in the closet with Tom Cruise for a few years and when things pick up sell it then.

You could always part it out, which is what I have been doing lately. I had some fool in Japan give me $1100.00 for a Telecaster Thinline neck, which was a 75. Probably the best bet if you want a lot and want it now.

Shipping parts oversees is where the money is right now.

• Members

Blue book values are difficult to take as true value since they're written by dealers. It's a guide but not a definitive price.

With the current economy, my Telecaster took about a 35 to 40% hit in market value. Weather it's worth it or not, I'll still make a profit if I sell or trade.

I've always thought that you make your money when you buy a guitar.

It's funny how some can boast that $3k is not a lot of money. You'll possibly wait a lifetime to recoup what you originally spent on your guitar(S) let alone and make a profit.

True value has little meaning in the guitar world. It's what the buyer is willing to pay.

I paid $250.00 for that '74 Tele around 1984. I know I can get $2k+ in cash for it now.

How long do you have to wait to recoup that percentage of profit when you buy a relic'd guitar for twice the advertised price?

Guitarmandp, don't make this a pissing match. "You'd have to be on crack" comments/buying skills should be kept to yourself.

You're such a single white female. Stop following me.

Archived