question about bending technique

Selsaral

• Members

Not under. I push whatever string is in the way too. So if I am bending the G string, the D string gets bent too.

I don't like going under the strings because that limits my ability to do vibratos and stuff at the top of the bend. For the same reason I don't let the adjacent strings slide under my fretting fingers either. So the adjacent strings just sort of ride out the bend on my finger tip, but higher up on my finger than the string I'm bending.

• Members

Not under. I push whatever string is in the way too. So if I am bending the G string, the D string gets bent too.

I don't like going under the strings because that limits my ability to do vibratos and stuff at the top of the bend. For the same reason I don't let the adjacent strings slide under my fretting fingers either. So the adjacent strings just sort of ride out the bend on my finger tip, but higher up on my finger than the string I'm bending.

Ah OK, I think that's what I do too. That's probably what I meant by 'getting your finger under the adjacent string'. When the adjacent string slides under my finger, it all goes to hell.

• Members

Whatever works -- I'm a fan of the celebrated Albert King-style two-string bend, though

Ah is that basically what mrbrown is describing?

... and the Chuck Berryesque bent double-stop.

Could you please describe this?

• Members

Ah OK, I think that's what I do too. That's probably what I meant by 'getting your finger under the adjacent string'. When the adjacent string slides under my finger, it all goes to hell.

I know what you mean. It's seems to 'put the breaks on' my bend when that happens. I find it happens when my action is too low. When I'm setting up my guitars I set the action just high enough where I can get under all the strings while bending. Nothing slides under my bending finger, and nothing over.

• Members

I know what you mean. I find that happens when my action is too low. When I'm setting up my guitars I set the action just high enough where I can get under all the strings while bending. Nothing slides under my bending finger, and nothing over.

OK, this makes me feel better. Low action destroys my bending technique. I actually prefer medium-high action. I've been wondering all along if I have been building up horribly bad technique, but this gives me a bit more confidence.

• Members

OK, this makes me feel better. Low action destroys my bending technique. I actually prefer medium-high action. I've been wondering all along if I have been building up horribly bad technique, but this gives me a bit more confidence.

No, it sounds like you are doing just fine. For the record, I usually have my action at about 4 or 5 64ths at the 12th fret, or about 2mm.

• Members

Also, I'd like to ask an associated question. I use my palm to mute the sound of the adjacent string being released. How do the rest of you handle this? Mute it with your fretting fingers?

Oh boy, I do whatever's easier at the time depending on what came before and what comes after the bend. I have to confess I don't really think about it anymore. It just sort of happens.

• Members

Oh boy, I do whatever's easier at the time depending on what came before and what comes after the bend. I have to confess I don't really think about it anymore. It just sort of happens.

I hear ya on this. There's a few bends I can mute with my fretting hand, but most I have to use my palm for. I feel a bit lucky in that my palm-muting technique advanced right along with my bending technique so the two things came together simultaneously.

I wonder about people who don't rest their palm on the strings tho, and I know a ton of people do a full-floating hand technique or do the pinky-on-pickguard thing. I am helping some newbies get started and I want to make sure I am not suggesting bad techniques for them. For myself I am 10 years into my technique and I don't see myself re-designing it.

Thanks a ton for the advice btw.

• Members
I don't really know how I do any of it. I've been doing it for so long that it just happens.
:idk:

Oh, you're one of those bastards who make it look so easy that the rest of us run out to buy guitars and then have a massive existential crisis when we finally discover how hard it actually is? :mad::p

• Members
Oh, you're one of those bastards who make it look so easy that the rest of us run out to buy guitars and then have a massive existential crisis when we finally discover how hard it actually is?
:mad::p

That's not what I meant to sound like at all.

It's just that I basically went through the learning struggles with this so long ago that I don't really pay attention to the exact technique I'm using anymore. I'm thinking that I probably just bend whatever is in my way like the other guys are talking about, and as for muting, I don't really know how I do it. I'll have to pay attention the next time I play the guitar.

• Members
That's not what I meant to sound like at all.

It's just that I basically went through the learning struggles with this so long ago that I don't really pay attention to the exact technique I'm using anymore. I'm thinking that I probably just bend whatever is in my way like the other guys are talking about, and as for muting, I don't really know how I do it. I'll have to pay attention the next time I play the guitar.

Ah I was just joking man, wasn't trying to make you sound like an SOB. ;)

Archived