Another Quick Shielding Question

crazyman123

• Members

Hi

I am going to shield my Feneder Stratocaster, I will shield the Pickguard and Inside cavities with Copper Tape.

But for a Grounding wire can I just have a wire going from the Copper Shielding to the back of the Volume Pot along with the Grounding Wires from the Pickups?

I don't really want to do all the Star Grounding stuff because I can tell I'll just mess my guitar up.

So is what I have just described good enough to get rid of a decent amount of hum? Or is it really necessary to do all the extra Wiring?

Any help will be appreciated, Thanks. :)

• Members

Agreed. I stopped doing the star grounding and have not noticed any difference.

IIRC somewhere on the web there's a discussion by the Kinman pickup guy that star grounding is not a must.

It's to prevent ground loops? I tried it once. It was a hassle and almost impossible to wire cleanly in the cavity I had. Ripped it out and grounded everything to the pots. Sounded the same.

• Members

The pots will be grounded to the Faraday shield you created. So grounding to the pots will give you the same effect as star grounding. When I do a new build or a rewire I like to use ring terminals over the pot shafts for ground. But that's just my lazy way of making things look purty. I can also follow the electron path easier which prevents ground loops.

Archived