Great Songs Ruined by Crappy Solos

Maess

• Members

1 - Take every Malmsteen song and write its name on a piece of poster board.

2 - Grab a dart..

Whatever you hit, even if you hit 2 of them by some miracle, that's the one that sucks the most...

Make the world a better place,

Punch Yngwie Malmsteen in the face.

(Moderator Note: Fictional fantasy that should not be taken as any type of serious threat. Nor do I condone preemptive physical violence of any type.)

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Really?? Malmsteen wrote GREAT songs that were only ruined by his solos?

Im not much of a Yngwie fan (I only like a few of his instrumentals) but I dont really see how he fits into this category.

Mostly because his songs are one long, run-on solo.. Remove his lead and some of the songs are good.. It's all that wankery that kills em.

• Members

I think some of the songs brought up have solos that are an acquired taste (like Niel's stuff) what I am going after are more songs with just plainly awful solos. I would have to agree regarding Slayer though.

• Members

Mostly because his songs are one long, run-on solo.. Remove his lead and some of the songs are good.. It's all that wankery that kills em.

Well Im not deeply acquainted with Yngwie's catalogue but I have a different opinion.

I bought his "Best of" 10 years ago. I wansnt aware of any of his music so just picked it up to see if it appealed to me.

Other than the instrumentals, all of the songs were highly generic pop-metal--intro, verse,chorus,verse,chorus, bridge, solo, chorus END (possible outro solo). I didnt hear anything resembling a great song or any run-on soloing. I dont think there is any more soloing on there than your typical Ozzy album for instance.

Again, my opinion is based on a limited sample size but I just cant agree with you here.

• Members

Well Im not deeply acquainted with Yngwie's catalogue but I have a different opinion.

I bought his "Best of" 10 years ago. I wansnt aware of any of his music so just picked it up to see if it appealed to me.

Other than the instrumentals, all of the songs were highly generic pop-metal--intro, verse,chorus,verse,chorus, bridge, solo, chorus END (possible outro solo). I didnt hear anything resembling a great song or any run-on soloing. I dont think there is any more soloing on there than your typical Ozzy album for instance.

Again, my opinion is based on a limited sample size but I just cant agree with you here.

He has mad skills for sure. But any of the songs I hear from him lack any real depth, dynamically. He takes so much (as far as chord structure) from classical music, and is lacking in the most important area.

Could I do the things he does? No. And I can respect that, but his music dulls my senses.

• Members

Jambi by Tool wins it for me. A wonderful odd time signature song ruined by an icepick-in-the-ear solo. From the interviews I've read on the making of the album, they worked hard to capture that specific godawful tone. :facepalm: I have seriously considered attempting a remaster of that song using a negative envelope follower to reduce the volume of the solo.

Solo starts @ 4:15

[YOUTUBE]Hbkyz5tNbWk&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

Archived