So as A guitar player....who's your fav bass player?

sdgails

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

JAZZ (acoustic): Jimmy Blanton, Charles Mingus, Paul Chambers

JAZZ (electric): Jaco, Marcus Miller, Stanley Clarke

SOUL/R&B/FUNK: James Jamerson, Duck Dunn, Larry Graham, Bootsy Collins, Bernard Edwards

ROCK/POP: Paul McCartney, John Entwistle, Rick Kemp, Norman Watt-Roy

REGGAE: Aston 'Family Man' Barratt, Robbie Shakespeare

• Members

Gotta represent your crew!

haha all bias aside, she really is a great bass player. AND has done far more rockstar {censored} than i ever will. i don't think i'll ever be touring europe or having center page posters in metal hammer magazine.

i'd also say the bass player from my old band from back in the day in - mr. jay strange (yes, it's his real name.) easily one of the best bass players i've ever heard AND had the privilege to play with.

• Members

Really? Are you sure about that?

I always thought of Michael Anthony as one of the luckiest people in the business. A likable guy with average skills who hooked up with some amazing talent. Kinda like he woke up from a black out and found himself playing arenas.

Michael Anthony was a much better bass player than alot of people gave him credit for. The dude could play anything he wanted really, had some pretty awesome grooves in VH and did his job as perfectly and as professionally as a bass player could do. There was no room or need for a Billy Sheehan type in VH. I wouild have to list Michael Anthony as one of my all time favorite bass players. His skill and professionalism and chops sound subtle to people that really dont understand the role a bass player in a VH type band should play, but out of 1,000,000 or more bass players on planet Earth, Van Halen couldnt have found a better fit for their band. Michael Anthony was a TIGHT, VERY GOOD bass player. And the things he wrote as far as bass lines, choice of phrasing, and bottom holding grooves had alot to do with why VH jammed so hard.

We are talking about bass so I wont even metion his backup vocals which were awesome and another HUGE part of the VH sound.

• Members

Al Doughty (Jesus Jones/ Waco Brothers/ Skull Orchard), Mike Mills, Mingus, Mike Dirnt, Robert Bell (Kool of Kool & the gang).

Edit to add Tommy Stinson (of the Replacements, Bash and Pop, and Perfect. Not the guy from Guns n Roses. That's somebody different).

• Members

I liked that guy who played in the Attractions. Bruce or Pete Thomas or something like that. Actually there were a lot of fun bass players in the whole

"New Wave" power-pop thing, like Nick Lowe. Often the bass line carried the song, and guitars were kept in the background.

• Members

I liked that guy who played in the Attractions. Bruce or Pete Thomas or something like that. Actually there were a lot of fun bass players in the whole

"New Wave" power-pop thing, like Nick Lowe. Often the bass line carried the song, and guitars were kept in the background.

Bruce Thomas was the bass player -- Pete Thomas (no relation) was the drummer.

And we need a special shout-out here for The Clash's Paul Simonon -- when he joined the band he was a total novice: Mick Jones had to tune his bass for him, suggested that he put stickers on the fretboard with the names of the notes on them, and set him to work playing along with old ska/reggae records and the first Ramones album. By the end of the band he'd become a superb groove-merchant bassist. Jonesy overdubbed some of the bass on the very first album, and Norman Watt-Roy from The Blockheads ghosted some of the later funk parts like The Magnificent Seven, but in the final analysis I've never seen anyone learn so fast and so well in public.

There were a lot of good bassists around at that time -- Glen Matlock from the Pistols and Bruce Foxton from The Jam, to name but two. Sid Vicious ... somewhat less so.

• Members

NO ONE has mentioned JAMES JAMERSON!!!!

In the history of the bass (just like guitar) there are people that changed everything after. Those folks are:

Jamerson

Jaco

Larry Graham

Victor Wooten

+1 to Victor Wooten. I've been to his bass camp twice, and I've seen him in acoustic/folk singer/songwriter situations where he's laid back and held down the groove. Even when they asked him to solo, he kept it tasteful and melodic. His bassist/bass tech Anthony Wellington is a monster, too.

I also have to give a shout-out to Chuck Rainey, who played with Aretha and Steely Dan back in the day. He's been called the Grandfather of the Electric Bass, and he's one of the few guys who can call another person "cat" and not sound foolish.

Archived