Faking a Gibson logo

jbandy10

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

to the OP:

have you considered this: what if you fake the headstock and its really believable and then a huge asteroid hits the earth and kills all of humankind, including the people you told about the guitar being fake, and then an alien race comes and explores the earth and finds your guitar, the sole remaining electric guitar, and they're all psyched because they have a gibson and there's so much of our culture left in print and other remaining sources that they know that gibson was an icon for some humans, so this guitar starts a rock and roll revolution on their home planet and little aliens grow their hair long and start bands and the whole thing goes nuts, just freaking nuts, and then a hundred years from now an alien pokes at the headstock of the guitar because they notice a little crack in the logo veneer and the whole thing falls off and they are shocked that underneath it there's an orville logo and then rock and roll just dies on the alien planet because they realize it was all based on a sham, a fake, a phony?

did you think about that? that you might be killing rock and roll for the aliens?

can't you see what i'm saying?

(note: long sentence is long on purpose :thu:)

• Members

{censored} I would never change the headstock on my Orville by Gibson, or my Greco's. Part of why I love them is that they DON'T say Gibson...(OK technically the ObG does say gibson on the head stock but it's really small) I really don't give a {censored} what people think...I've played factory standards, studios, traditionals, and classics and I know how good ObG's are.

• Members
Why
:confused:
According to
www.orangeguitar.com

"The guitar market is treating the Orville brand as a collector's item. These guitars are rare and it's price are escalating due to collector's interest. Don't be surprised if you find them close to the price of a Gibson. "

Exactly..it's a guitar with a heritage worth preserving. I'd rather keep it as-is than than potentially {censored} up the headstock for the sake of a gibson logo.

• Members
to the OP:

have you considered this: what if you fake the headstock and its really believable and then a huge asteroid hits the earth and kills all of humankind, including the people you told about the guitar being fake, and then an alien race comes and explores the earth and finds your guitar, the sole remaining electric guitar, and they're all psyched because they have a gibson and there's so much of our culture left in print and other remaining sources that they know that gibson was an icon for some humans, so this guitar starts a rock and roll revolution on their home planet and little aliens grow their hair long and start bands and the whole thing goes nuts, just freaking nuts, and then a hundred years from now an alien pokes at the headstock of the guitar because they notice a little crack in the logo veneer and the whole thing falls off and they are shocked that underneath it there's an orville logo and then rock and roll just dies on the alien planet because they realize it was all based on a sham, a fake, a phony?

did you think about that? that you might be killing rock and roll for the aliens?

(note: long sentence is long on purpose
:thu:
)

I {censored}ing LOL'd :lol:

• Members
to the OP:

(note: long sentence is long on purpose
:thu:
)

Damn right! I was just thinking the same thing!

• Members

to the OP:

That is just a totally ridiculous flight of exaggerated fantasy ...

... everyone knows that aliens don't have hair so clearly they couldn't grow their hair long.

• Members

I just want to say up front, this isn't so I can actually sell a guitar as a Gibson after faking it. I just want to take a copy and put a Gibson logo on it. For my own personal ends.

Let's say I have an Orville Les Paul standard. What would I have to do if I wanted to replace the Orville headstock logo with a Gibson one?

Yeah, we all know that at the end of the day, an Orville is probably just as good or better than a Gibson. But most people don't know that.

You mean like taking all the chrome emblems off your Toyota and sticking gold Lexus emblems on? Thereby making it worth less than a real Toyota because now it is neither an original Toyota nor a real Lexus? (even though it is as good as a Lexus, seriously the same)

Not that difficult , actually.

Start with one of these:

lobotomy.jpg

Then, Ebay the Orville (or sell locally) to someone who knows guitars.

Head to your local guitar shop and play "real" Gibson LP's until you find one you like. :thu:

There you have it, your guitar will have a Gibson logo on the headstock, and you haven't ruined the value of your Orville to do it. :idk:

troll.jpg

:rolleyes:

• Members

Its easy .Remove the tuners from a real Gibson and then photograph the whole headstock .Make sure its is all square to the headstock so it doesnt distort .Then put it into photoshop and start work until it fits your headstock .Then print out on gloss paper ,,seal with clear laquer,and stick to new headstock .I think you buy similar on a certain auction site.

simples

• Members

Just for the sake of argument, if I wanted to make a fake Gibson logo I'd start by taking a hi-res scan of this...

PICT0027-1.jpg

(a real one) and then print as many as I wanted onto waterslide paper. The metallic ink probably isn't too hard to get. I've had this one for 35 years and never found a need to use it yet...maybe one day for a restoration but not for a fake:cop:

J.R.

Archived