So.. I got chucked out of my band today... Am I right or not?

Dougie.Douglas

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think you should have stayed and played bass. At least until you found another gig. Plus it would have broadened your musical aptitude.

But sure, it would be hard to get past the emotional aspects.

I agree here with Gas Man. I think it's a missed opportunity to grow as a musician. I'm sure the reason they did this is because the LEAD singer is probably MORE important to the band than YOU playing guitar.I'm sure they wanted to make him happy by letting him play the guitar while he sings which is a lot easier. My son was hired to play lead guitar in his church band. They have other guitar players that they rotate every week. Well one weekend they asked him to play bass instead of guitar and he did it,and another time they asked him to run sound. He has no problem with this because he can play guitar,bass,keys,drums,run sound as well as sing lead and harmony. Being able to be flexible makes you WAY more valuable to ANY band. Keep this in mind before you leave another band.By the way my son is on rotation every weekend,and is the ONLY band member that does something EVERY weekend. This is just my opinion,so take it for what it's worth.:)

• Members

Hate to say it, but it sounds like they really didn't value you/your playing.

They made up their minds without consulting you. And they clearly value the singer more.

Being in a situation like that is never fun.

Despite what you may have thought, the band wasn't a good fit for you.

Find the one that is. Or start one.

• Members

I think the fact that they presented it to you in an ultimatum is the deal-breaker for me.

If they had asked you to switch to bass "because we really need a bass player," that would've been one thing: that's what The Beatles did with Paul McCartney. But they told you this was the way it had to be and you either needed to cave in to their demands or hit the road. In that situation, I would have done the same thing . . . after pointing out that their methods sucked.

My guess is (a) they wanted to get rid of you and presented you with a scenario you couldn't live with, or (b) they lacked basic social skills. Either way, it sounds like you're better off without them.

• Members

'Constructive dismissal', anybody?

It's a tactic that became popular with unscrupulous business people when they want rid of someone but don't want to have to kick over the severance pay they'd owe if he/she was fired. So ... they make the working environment and job conditions so unpleasant that he/she eventually walks, which costs the company somewhere between far less and nothing.

When Stu Sutcliffe left The Beatles, they became a much better band ... because the bass was now played by the most creative musician in the band rather than the least skilled (SS had only ever been in the band because he was Lennon's mate and Lennon wanted him around). So they traded a second rhythm guitarist for an excellent bassist, and slimmed down from quintet to quartet.

(Kind of like The Clash when they fired Keith Levene ... apart from Radiohead, Lynyrd Skynyrd and The Eagles (sometimes), successful three-guitar bands are fairly thin on the ground.)

Back to you, Dougie ...I don't think your bandmates have handled this well AT ALL. They could've discussed with you over a pint (" is really uncomfortable playing bass while singing ... what d'you reckon we should do? How would you feel about swapping with him?"). The end result might've been the same, but it would've been a lot less nasty, and the chances of you guys all staying friends would've been a lot higher.

I'd say: work on your singer/songwritery stuff, and keep gigging in that mode whilst keeping eyes and ears open for musicians who dig what you do and would enjoy playing in a band based around you and your songs. You could end up as the frontman/bandleader/creative engine next time around.

• Members

I have to say I'm kind of surprised at some of the responses. The OP was told by his bandmates "You're switching to bass"...no discussion, just an ultimatum. I wouldn't like that. Who would?

Yes, learning bass would expand the OP's knowledge. But he's not inclined to play bass, doesn't have the necessary gear, and can't really afford to go out and buy a bass and an amp right now.

I switched from bass to guitar in the 80s and played bass exclusively for over two years. But it was MY idea. I had been in a band that constantly had trouble finding a good bass player. You can't swing a dead cat without hitting a guitar player, so I figured I'd pick up the bass. I never had a problem getting a gig. It took me a while to really learn how to play properly and lock in with the kick, but once I did, I got pretty good. I've gone back to guitar for many years now, but the bass knowledge I have still comes in handy when I'm recording my own material.

Is there underlying drama we don't know about? Maybe...but the fact remains the band drew a line in the sand to get the OP to quit. That's pretty crappy.

• Members

I was in a band once with a drummer who wanted to be a bassist playing bass, a singer who hated performing, a drummer who could play almost any instrument and me on guitar. We ended up with a new singer, a second guitarist, moved the drummer back to drums and the multi-instrumentalist playing bass. We also switched around some - I would play bass if the bassist needed to play horn or violin on a song. Our drummer wnet on tour with another act for a while and we moved the bassist to drums and I played bass and we did cover songs like that for a few gigs.

Sometimes it helps to be flexible, too. I never owned a bass, but as long as someone in the band did, we were fine.

• Members

Honestly, I'd be 100% professional about it. As pissed off as I would be and fuming, I'd keep it professional. It's a very very hard thing to do in the heat of things, no denying that. But keep it professional.

If they had told me that I was being switched to bass from guitar, I'd explain my position that I don't play bass, I don't own a bass and that's not "my thing". If, as they did with you, that you didn't have a say in it I'd just say "well, I'm afraid I can't continue like on like this" while packing my stuff up. Then I'd just say good luck and I hope you find what you're looking for.

Why? Because you never know if you'll see these guys again in some other band or session later on down the road. Keep it all professional. Even if THEY weren't professional and it was a crappy thing to do, doesn't mean you can't be mature and professional. Again, it's a very hard thing to do sometimes. My first inclination would be to tell them all to piss off also...but cooler heads prevail in the end.

Good luck to you.

• Members

Why don't you get a gig as a substitute teacher at a local posh private school under false pretenses, and when no one is looking, teach the kids to be a kick ass band. then enter a battle of the bands and take on your old bandmates head-on, and even though the judges might not side with you, a wave a crowd-borne enthusiasm will cheer you on to an encore and the self-satisfaction of knowing that you really did win. and then you can open an after-school program to teach kids how to be in a band, so that they, too can screw over people and make them play other instruments.

just a thought.

• Members

You enjoyed playing in that band. Treasure the moments, contemplate the lessons learned, and go about growing as a musician without them. If it was fun befoere, it wouldn't or won't be fun in the future. When people start making unilateral decisions without consulting... well, I guess you've read "Animal Farm".

Feels like even if you'd opted to play bass, they'd fire you pretty quick for not being up to snuff. Your playing bass would be a conveniance for them until they lined up a dedicated skilled bass player, then you'd get the axe. Right now, you walk on your own terms. Otherwise you would have been disrespected, "demoted", and fired.

You're young yet. Getting out of this might be the best opportunity you have to grow.

• Members
Why don't you get a gig as a substitute teacher at a local posh private school under false pretenses, and when no one is looking, teach the kids to be a kick ass band. then enter a battle of the bands and take on your old bandmates head-on, and even though the judges might not side with you, a wave a crowd-borne enthusiasm will cheer you on to an encore and the self-satisfaction of knowing that you really did win. and then you can open an after-school program to teach kids how to be in a band, so that they, too can screw over people and make them play other instruments.

just a thought.

:lol::lol::lol: Very well played! :thu:

school-of-rock-jack-black-400a012907.jpg

• Members

To the OP, you did the right thing walking.

For one, the band was being disrespectful of you and your position in the band, and your current skill.

Two, they made a decision -- a big decision -- without having a group meeting with everyone present. Is it so hard to say "I don't like to sing and play bass at the same time. Let's talk."?

Three, you were greeted with an ultimatum, based on lack of communication and respect.

Unless you are making gobs of green with this gig, then there is little reason to stick around, as the bad feelings this incident might have caused could cause you some serious stress. And stress is bad...for music and friendships.

• Members
To the OP, you did the right thing walking.

For one, the band was being disrespectful of you and your position in the band, and your current skill.

Two, they made a decision -- a big decision -- without having a group meeting with everyone present. Is it so hard to say "I don't like to sing and play bass at the same time. Let's talk."?

Three, you were greeted with an ultimatum, based on lack of communication and respect.

Unless you are making gobs of green with this gig, then there is little reason to stick around, as the bad feelings this incident might have caused could cause you some serious stress. And stress is bad...for music and friendships.

Yeah, it was pretty dumb of them, but there we go :idk:

I also like how none of them were in college today... :rolleyes: Hmmm.

Cheers mate :)

• Members

I tend to agree with some of the posters here who believe there's an agenda here, on the part of the rest of the band. My son who's 15 and a pretty useful guitar player (way better than I was when I started playing) and the rest of his musical pals seem to be going through revolving band-doors all the time. There invariably seem to be some kind of personality issues going on, whether or not fuelled by differences of opinion about ability. I wouldn't be surprised if someone in your old band didn't like your playing - maybe even you were too good and he was jealous - and the bass ultimatum is a case of constructive dismissal, like csm says. They knew you wouldn't want to play bass so presented you with an option that, well, isn't really an option.

Of course, none of us were there so it's all just speculation on our part. Maybe we have it all wrong, and you've missed out on the chance to be the bass player in the next great British band. You no doubt know the situation better than the rest of us here.

• Members
I tend to agree with some of the posters here who believe there's an agenda here, on the part of the rest of the band. My son who's 15 and a pretty useful guitar player (way better than I was when I started playing) and the rest of his musical pals seem to be going through revolving band-doors all the time. There invariably seem to be some kind of personality issues going on, whether or not fuelled by differences of opinion about ability. I wouldn't be surprised if someone in your old band didn't like your playing - maybe even you were too good and he was jealous - and the bass ultimatum is a case of constructive dismissal, like csm says. They knew you wouldn't want to play bass so presented you with an option that, well, isn't really an option.

Of course, none of us were there so it's all just speculation on our part. Maybe we have it all wrong, and you've missed out on the chance to be the bass player in the next great British band. You no doubt know the situation better than the rest of us here.

Well.. to be honest, I think you guys have it right - I mean, why else would they do it? I have told the vocalist MANY times that I have no interest playing bass for the band. I have been asked to fill in for him before.. just for a session if we are working out the bass part to an original song, but I would never fill in for him for the rest of the time.

Cheers :thu:

Archived