So.. I got chucked out of my band today... Am I right or not?

Dougie.Douglas

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I have always wondered about the concept of an open audition being that I have a 'band' of peeps that I put together, with tons of musicians waiting around listening...then If I notice a weak bass player...I say, 'next bass player up'..first one leaves, next one comes up...this repeats with the same song until after like 200 musicians, I have the best vocalist, bassist...ect...

This song would go on for hours, and while I mix, set volumes...I say 'hey turn up' and then hear a '{censored} you' from the stage...'ok, next guitar player up'

I think after all the name calling, fist fights, ect, I would end up with one hell of a band...

It seems tough to 'make it work' rather then just find people that already work well together....

• Members
I have always wondered about the concept of an open audition being that I have a 'band' of peeps that I put together, with tons of musicians waiting around listening...then If I notice a weak bass player...I say, 'next bass player up'..first one leaves, next one comes up...this repeats with the same song until after like 200 musicians, I have the best vocalist, bassist...ect...

This song would go on for hours, and while I mix, set volumes...I say 'hey turn up' and then hear a '{censored} you' from the stage...'ok, next guitar player up'

I think after all the name calling, fist fights, ect, I would end up with one hell of a band...

It seems tough to 'make it work' rather then just find people that already work well together....

Sounds great haha! :D Oh yeah, you got that right... :facepalm:

• Members

Dougie,

I did not read all the other replies, but I agree, you don't want to be in a band where you are ordered around. You want to be with guys that can work these things through. I would say move on. If you are angry - put that anger into playing, writing, and recording. Record a demo tape of you. Make it as good a product as you can. Use the tape to get in a better band. Don't get in a pissing match with the old band. It will not get you anywhere. You were meant to be in a different band.

- w

• Members
Not atall happy. I went to band practise today and was promptly told by the drummer that I am now playing bass... to which I reply 'To hell, I am'. I was then told that if I do not take up position on the bass and leave my position as second guitarist... I would be chucked out.

I then told the rest of the band that I am nowhere near as good at Bass as I am at guitar, I do not own a bass guitar therefore I would not play the Bass guitar for the band. This, as you can imagine, didn't go down very well with the others... so I packed up my gear and left.

This all came about because the vocalist doesn't want to play bass as well as sing anymore... so he has taken position as the second guitarist (as well as singing), leaving us bass-less.

I am now looking for sometime else to do, seeing as performing is part of my college course.

Tell me... Was I right to walk? Or should I of stayed and just played bass?

:idk:

Sorry for long-ish post.

Tell me, A

Damn man,that sounds like being employed at a {censored}ty job instead of playing in a band! {censored} them! Lifes to short to play a bass when you like guitar better! {censored} em!

• Members
Nearly your exact story happened with a bloke in a little band from Liverpool... the bands name was some kind of "bug-ish" name or something.

He has been playing rhythm guitar and when the bass player quit, he was "asked" by the other guitar players to play bass. He didn't really want to do it, but was having fun with the band and didn't want to quit so he ended up saying OK.

I don't think he had his own bass at the time, in fact he's a lefty... so he couldn't even use the old bass player's bass probably...

Anyway, I think things worked out for him OK...

I saw him on TV recently at the Golden Globes of all things...

Paul something I think... they showed him a lot cause he was sitting next to Julia Roberts!
:D

Lucky guy.

M

This is a good point also. See to me, it's all in the attitude. If they sat down to work this thru with DD - that's one thing. But if the drummer came over and in effect said "just do it or you are out of the band" - that's a different thing entirely. I was not there. Just going on what DD said. But good point M.

- w

• Members
Dougie,

I did not read all the other replies, but I agree, you don't want to be in a band where you are ordered around. You want to be with guys that can work these things through. I would say move on. If you are angry - put that anger into playing, writing, and recording. Record a demo tape of you. Make it as good a product as you can. Use the tape to get in a better band. Don't get in a pissing match with the old band. It will not get you anywhere. You were meant to be in a different band.

- w

Thanks a lot Woody. I hope that someone will see me playing in the club sometime and ask if I would like to join them, but that day hasn't come yet. I will ask tommorow if I can have the recording studio one day to get some songs recorded properly. Wish me luck :lol:

Cheers mate.

• Members

Somehow.....

I keep getting the feeling that some important information is missing here and I'll bet that it concerns the posters contribution(s) to this drama.

Quit complaining and find a new band. (I don't mean to sound harsh but that IS the answer!

• Members
You were well in the right. I HATE nothing more than spoilt singers that call all the shots, throw hissy fits and always have an excuse for not showing up to rehearsals.

Tell me about it, I'm dealing with this right now, our singer has missed our last two rehearsals. Bastard CLAIMS he has mono....looking like death, losing 7 lbs and 2 trips to the emergency room is no excuse not to be at practice IMO!!!:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Members
Somehow.....

I keep getting the feeling that some important information is missing here and I'll bet that it concerns the posters contribution(s) to this drama.

Maybe something else, like dating triangle, or something :idea: :poke:

Dougie- it sucks dude, sorry to hear about it, hopefully something will work out pretty soon for you brother :thu:

• Members

Been kicked too before. Everytime it was for someone that was more skilled and better then me. Never a hard feeling or tough time was to be had ever.

Its not personal, its just bizzness.

I disagree. It's pretty much just bull{censored}.

A band is about enjoying the experience.

It's a pretty much BS story, get in a band where your bandmates are your best friends.

• Members

I will say this, and sorry if it offends people, its just my opinion. Singers, in my experience always tend to be the most whiney people in bands. They always have something to complain about, and usually are the most unmusical member. I think is pretty much bull{censored} that your singer just "didnt want to play bass anymore" that sounds like something a 10 year old would do or something. And it makes less sense that your band would just go along with it. I think you were right, way to stick to your guns man

A band some of my friends started came into this problem. Our vocalist was tired of just doing vocals because he felt "awkward" only doing vocals on stage. So he wanted to play bass. It was fine that he want ted to play bass cause at the time we didnt have a bass player (the old one left because he wasnt really into the music we were playing) but the problem came when we all realized he couldnt play that well. So for the next several months, we all had to endure the most plain jane bass lines so suit our singers wants... it was quite annoying...

sorry for such a long reply... iv just been in this situation so many times its become a pet peeve...

• Members
Not atall happy. I went to band practise today and was promptly told by the drummer that I am now playing bass... to which I reply 'To hell, I am'. I was then told that if I do not take up position on the bass and leave my position as second guitarist... I would be chucked out.

I then told the rest of the band that I am nowhere near as good at Bass as I am at guitar, I do not own a bass guitar therefore I would not play the Bass guitar for the band. This, as you can imagine, didn't go down very well with the others... so I packed up my gear and left.

This all came about because the vocalist doesn't want to play bass as well as sing anymore... so he has taken position as the second guitarist (as well as singing), leaving us bass-less.

I am now looking for sometime else to do, seeing as performing is part of my college course.

Tell me... Was I right to walk? Or should I of stayed and just played bass?

:idk:

Sorry for long-ish post.

Tell me, A

that's up to you. It should have been a full discussion. But hey, you can always join/start a different band. Bot a major deal.

• Members

{censored} them, you play what you play

if someone told me they needed me to sing and they'd pay me thousands to do so, I'd still pass - I blow at singing

when playing is more of a chore than something you enjoy you're doing the wrong thing.

Archived